Sabbath - Israel V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sabbath

irnbruman

https://bemusedbackpacker.com/2017/01/16/what-to-expect-at-israels-airport-security/

50 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Looks like the whole country almost shuts down. Might be aiming for late afternoon flight out of there on the Friday but getting to the airport by lunchtime.

I'll be getting to the airport hours before my flight is due. Other airports are bad enough with wallipurrs in front of the queu fannying about but this is a different beast altogether 

14 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Will it even be possible to get a bite to eat and a beer in Tel Aviv on the Saturday. And furthermore will getting to the airport be problematic? 

I'm told it's like a Sunday in the UK - i.e. no real problems. However, I am going to seek advice from others as I'm not 100% confident on my source of information.

6 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

I'm told it's like a Sunday in the UK - i.e. no real problems. However, I am going to seek advice from others as I'm not 100% confident on my source of information.

Been looking around while doing research and while it is true that most places shut, its not a complete shut down.

Looking around Tel Aviv, and seems to be ex-pat places stay open..... Baba Yaga Bar (Ukrainian place next to my hotel) is open until 12am on Fridays, while most places around it are open until 5pm... and bars seem to be the same (fair few seem to be open until 1-3am)

Even told that buses and taxi's still run (be it a reduced service) but told that its certainly not a total shut down, and no different than maybe a Sunday in most major European Cities

Edited by wanderer

20 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Will it even be possible to get a bite to eat and a beer in Tel Aviv on the Saturday. And furthermore will getting to the airport be problematic? 

I was just there in November across a Sabbath weekend.....basically on our Friday shops and family run restaurants all close at the latest by 6pm ish.....down the tourist area on Tel Aviv beach front restaurants and bars were still open as normal......on the Sabbath our Saturday the city was a ghost town with hardly a car or bus on the streets....all shops except the odd little convenience store were closed......we used this day to walk along to old Jaffa port as it is a Muslim area and everything open.....again...the tourist bars and restaurants down the front were all open as usual.

Asked my hotel about getting to the airport for a flight from Tel Aviv during the Sabbath, and this was their reply,

"It is very easy with ordinary taxis from and to the airport, even on Friday night or Saturday, and should be no more than $50 each way."

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Asked my hotel about getting to the airport for a flight from Tel Aviv during the Sabbath, and this was their reply,

"It is very easy with ordinary taxis from and to the airport, even on Friday night or Saturday, and should be no more than $50 each way."

I paid €40 fixed price.....ask them to do it as the meter can be a nightmare if you get stuck in Tel Aviv traffic (Sabbath exempt of course)

34 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

I'm on tea time flight to Athens on the Friday night  - so bus to airport for lunchtime - never know how exhaustive the security checks will be at Tel Aviv airport.

They seem to be more thorough if you are flying on an Israeli carrier....I have flown both El Al and Cyprus Airways to Tel Aviv.....the Cypriot flight I was almost waved on to where as El Al there was pre checkin security to clear...then check in with more advanced questions....then immigration (took longer getting out than in...wanted to know where I had been what I had seen etc) ...then security checks and into the body scanner.......it’s a bit of pot luck depending on the threat status at the time I guess

1 hour ago, irnbruman said:

I'm on tea time flight to Athens on the Friday night  - so bus to airport for lunchtime - never know how exhaustive the security checks will be at Tel Aviv airport.

Heard the stories of half a day to get through security at the airport, but told this is greatly exaggerated and 2.5-3 hours (but closer to 3) before your flight is what at all the Israelis I have spoken to all say for being at the airport.

• 2 months later...

I still can't get my head around the Sabbath...

Well, that's not entirely true; I know that the Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday and ends at sundown on Saturday...

Between those two points, Jewish people are to adhere to the Sabbath, which amongst other things, means no working.

So, is a Friday night deadsville?

It all comes back to life on Saturday night, but Sunday is like our Monday morning and they all go back to work proper?

So, which days are considered the weekend?

Or do they not really have a weekend in the way we do?

It seems they don't have a Friday and Saturday night (in the way we do) and it seems they don't have a Saturday and Sunday daytime (in the way we do).

As an aside, I see they play professional football matches on Saturday's, but surely that counts as work... for the players, the police, the stewards, etc...

When I was ther a couple of months ago...Tel Aviv shut down about 6pm on the Friday night....some convenience stores open later.....but all family run businesses including restaurants and bars closed until about 6pm on the Saturday. Good news was that the bars on the seafront tourist area stayed open huuurah........I was amazed by how quiet it was on Saturday within the city...next to no cars or taxis and just the occasional bus......on the Saturday night the centre of Tel Aviv was very busy but it was all the young team in the trendy bars paying about €12 a bottle of beer....so we stayed clear and went back down the seafront......on the Sabbath during the day we went to the Arab area at Old Jaffa Port where everything was open.....Sunday is a normal working day and the city came back to life...

3 hours ago, DavyP said:

When I was ther a couple of months ago...Tel Aviv shut down about 6pm on the Friday night....some convenience stores open later.....but all family run businesses including restaurants and bars closed until about 6pm on the Saturday. Good news was that the bars on the seafront tourist area stayed open huuurah........I was amazed by how quiet it was on Saturday within the city...next to no cars or taxis and just the occasional bus......on the Saturday night the centre of Tel Aviv was very busy but it was all the young team in the trendy bars paying about €12 a bottle of beer....so we stayed clear and went back down the seafront......on the Sabbath during the day we went to the Arab area at Old Jaffa Port where everything was open.....Sunday is a normal working day and the city came back to life...

So, they don't really have a weekend at all? 

Not even at another point in the week?

The working week ends on Friday evening and starts again on Sunday morning and in between, they have the Sabbath during which they can't do very much at all?

The Sabbath is their weekend? That's all they get?

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

The working week ends on Friday evening and starts again on Sunday morning and in between, they have the Sabbath during which they can't do very much at all?

Friday is their Saturday. They don’t work Fridays. So the big night out is Thursday night.

J

1 hour ago, Bristolhibby said:

Friday is their Saturday. They don’t work Fridays. So the big night out is Thursday night.

J

Okay, got it. Cheers Hibby.

I thought Friday was a normal working day (up until the Sabbath kicked in).

I doubt they refer to the Sabbath 'kicking in' mind... :D

On 12/04/2018 at 8:05 PM, Rich NATA said:

Basically aye......Apparently they make a big thing of family gatherings and meals on the Sabbath and don’t come out of their houses....you will see for yourself if you stay for it....me...I am bugging out early Friday morning on the 35minute  long haul flight home.....infact I will probably be back at work before you wake up 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Another Sabbath thing that made me smile is the fact that they can’t interact with technology (certainly the religious Jews).

I was in Haifa last year and our hotel had a Sabbath function on the lift. It basically went up and down, stopping on every floor so you didn’t have to press any bottons. I checked out early on the Friday, so didn’t get to see it in action. 

J