Who's a big club - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

20 hours ago, McTeeko said:

I wouldn’t say Leicester or Blackburn (just more than 20 years) are bigger than West Ham.

West Ham also have a European trophy. 

20 hours ago, Toepoke said:

West Ham won the Cup Winners Cup and were losing finalists too.

19 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Obviously they ain't a man utd or a Liverpool but they are still relatively big when compared with yer hulls or Bournemouths and have spent most of their history in the English top flight. 

I wouldn't say leicester or blackburn are bigger than west ham, they are all mediocre clubs.  Leicester aand blackburn have no euro trophy and west ham haven't won the league in the last 20 years so not BIG clubs.

They ain't a man u or liverpool, only manu is a big club, Liverpool are not.  You cannot be a big european club if you can't even win your own domestic league.

I think alot of people in scotland watch too much match of the day and sky sportsPL and believe the epl is some sort of great league, its just a rich league from tv money.  If you visit other european countries the main football discussed is international, Primera Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga and which every league is in that country.

12 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

I wouldn't say leicester or blackburn are bigger than west ham, they are all mediocre clubs.  Leicester aand blackburn have no euro trophy and west ham haven't won the league in the last 20 years so not BIG clubs.

They ain't a man u or liverpool, only manu is a big club, Liverpool are not.  You cannot be a big european club if you can't even win your own domestic league.

I think alot of people in scotland watch too much match of the day and sky sportsPL and believe the epl is some sort of great league, its just a rich league from tv money.  If you visit other european countries the main football discussed is international, Primera Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga and which every league is in that country.

Your  criteria is nonsense.  Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in world football.

Edited by Fairbairn

4 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Your  criteria is nonsense.  Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in world football.

How can you be a big club and not be able to win or even compete for your domestic league?  You are conflating money with success.  Trophys, history and fanbase make big clubs, TV money has distorted the way people view this.

For example are Chelsea or Ajax the bigger club?

For me Ajax, because of 40 years of success, 4 CL's, and a massive global fanbase.

Chelsea 15 years of success, 1CL, and alot of chinese fans.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Doesn’t really mean anything though does it?

You are right paris.  Probably would prefer scottish clubs to have the money.  Although it might stop our youngsters coming through.  However, i'm just trying to change the mindset among some scots that believe the epl is the be all and end all. Its just rich.

Guess the question is would you like to be super wealthy with a vapid supermodel wife, or have a big family and strong community around you.....hmmm

3 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

How can you be a big club and not be able to win or even compete for your domestic league?  You are conflating money with success.  Trophys, history and fanbase make big clubs, TV money has distorted the way people view this.

Maybe if there are a lot of very big, very rich clubs in your domestic league?

5 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Trophys, history and fanbase make big clubs,

I'd say when it comes to trophies and history Liverpool are doing not bad.  I'd hazard a guess they'd be doing OK on fanbase too.

Domestic

League

Cups

European

You aren't getting it fairburn, Liverpool were a big club.#

Domestic

League

You don't like the criteria, ok name me one other big club who have won at least 1 Euro trophy that haven;t won their domestic league in the last 20 years.

Or are you saying because liverpool are the only club who don't fit in we should change the criteria.

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd say when it comes to trophies and history Liverpool are doing not bad.  I'd hazard a guess they'd be doing OK on fanbase too.

Domestic

League

Cups

European

I was thinking the same how you can set those criteria and exclude Liverpool is beyond me.

Theyve been in 4? European finals in last 20 years and won the Big cup. (6 if you’re an aberdeen fan :P )

48 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Big club criteria: Won a European trophy and won their domestic league in the last 20 years

37 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

So what is the criteria now? Liverpool have won more than one European trophy in the last 20 years but because they ain't won their own league they are not a big team.

Please try and make up your mind :lol:

3 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

You aren't getting it fairburn, Liverpool were a big club.#

Domestic

League

You don't like the criteria, ok name me one other big club who have won at least 1 Euro trophy that haven;t won their domestic league in the last 20 years.

Or are you saying because liverpool are the only club who don't fit in we should change the criteria.

I picked one of the few teams you mentioned in your OP and pointed out that it was nonsense.  By pretty much any criteria Liverpool are a massive club and they are certainly a bigger club than Man City and Chelsea who have won their domestic leagues more recently.

41 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

So what is the criteria now? Liverpool have won more than one European trophy in the last 20 years but because they ain't won their own league they are not a big team.

Please try and make up your mind :lol:

35 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

So are we classing Zenit St Petersburg as a big club?  Presumably Shakhtar Donetsk too?

The criteria is won a euro trophy at any point AND their league in the last 20 years.

So Liverpool aren't a big club anymore, as they haven't won their league in the last 20.  It's to differentiate between clubs who have historic success and recent success.

For example: Wolves were a massive club in the 50's would you say they are now, same with liverpool they were a huge european club but they have fallen away from being a superclub like the bayern's, juve's rmadrid's.

Yes I would say Zenit are a big club, they have a euro trophy, multiple leagues, and a large fan base in russia.  Maybe because they get little coverage here nobody would know how big they are.

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

For me big clubs are defined by the size of their supports. IMO England's top 10 biggest clubs in approximate order are:-

Manchester Utd

Liverpool 

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Leeds Utd

Newcastle United

Everton

Manchester City

Tottenham Hotspur 

Chelsea

So Rangers and celtic are bigger than all of these clubs?  Because there support is larger, maybe not manu.  But rangers did take 200,000 to Manchester for a uefa cup final, can't see any of these clubs doing that if a final was in glasgow.