Craig Gordon injured - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Craig Gordon injured

Mee

1 hour ago, Rude Gullit said:

Definitely worth using, shame he's 30, that's all.

What's happened to Scott Fox, Scott Bain and the potentials from a few years ago?

30 is no age for a goalkeeper. It would also be good to have a goalkeeper who knows one of his centre halfs inside out and vice versa 

5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

30 is no age for a goalkeeper. It would also be good to have a goalkeeper who knows one of his centre halfs inside out and vice versa 

Agreed despite my attitude towards the benefits of allowing younger players to gel together to form a proper team. If you have a defensive unit that works at club level you are half way there.

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Agreed despite my attitude towards the benefits of allowing younger players to gel together to form a proper team. If you have a defensive unit that works at club level you are half way there.

Without googling I don't know what age Christoph Berra is but this is likely his last campaign I'd have thought 

5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Without googling I don't know what age Christoph Berra is but this is likely his last campaign I'd have thought 

33 in a couple of days and would have been one of the players I would have let go after the last campaign  but he and Souttar seem to have clicked so it seems the easiest way to introduce one of our prospect to international football

16 hours ago, bonny78 said:

So ud rather play a 35 year old than a 30 year old.  Keepers can go on for longer.

No, I think you're conflating my post with someone else's (I didn't mention Craig Gordon in mine).

My point is that if we're looking for a long-term replacement to Gordon, then a 30 year old isn't ideal. Not totally pointless as you might get 6-8 years out of him if you're lucky, but ideal world you'd want someone like a young Gordon ready to be drafted in, aged 21/22. Ideal world as I say, but a 30 year old is edging towards the other end of the spectrum, titled 'that'll do for now'.

17 hours ago, bonny78 said:

So ud rather play a 35 year old than a 30 year old.  Keepers can go on for longer.

Yes I'd far rather play a 35-year-old proven international goalkeeper who has shown how much he is valued by the amount clubs have been willing to pay for him in his career. The same cannot be said of the untried McClaughlin.

On 27/01/2018 at 11:39 PM, McTeeko said:

Jordan Archer had a howling mistake last week. There’s been a couple this season. That’s just me catching 30 seconds of his games on Goals Roundup or whatever (he may well be a solid keeper) but the mistakes stick in the mind.

He does seem to make a lot of mistakes.  I remember being distinctly underwhelmed by him when he played for the under-21s.

To put things in perspective, when Craig Gordon was the same age as Archer he was already a full international and Sunderland had shelled out £9 million for him.  Archer has spent most of his career to date in the English lower leagues and is now chucking them in his own net for a mid-table second division outfit - if he is our best goalkeeping prospect in the medium term that worries me.

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

He does seem to make a lot of mistakes.  I remember being distinctly underwhelmed by him when he played for the under-21s.

To put things in perspective, when Craig Gordon was the same age as Archer he was already a full international and Sunderland had shelled out £9 million for him.  Archer has spent most of his career to date in the English lower leagues and is now chucking them in his own net for a mid-table second division outfit - if he is our best goalkeeping prospect in the medium term that worries me.

Clean sheet tonight

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Will say Gordon at that age looked very special.

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Will say Gordon at that age looked very special.

TBF when we gave Gordon a shot at international level nobody knew if he was up to it or not, and his credentials weren't much more than 'doing well at Hearts'. On those grounds, McClaughlin definitely deserves a try-out at least.

I'd be hedging my bets though - perhaps Archer, McClaughlin and McGregor for the next squad. If we pick Marshall, McGregor and only 1 young keeper we deserve a kick in the stones.

4 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

TBF when we gave Gordon a shot at international level nobody knew if he was up to it or not, and his credentials weren't much more than 'doing well at Hearts'. On those grounds, McClaughlin definitely deserves a try-out at least.

I'd be hedging my bets though - perhaps Archer, McClaughlin and McGregor for the next squad. If we pick Marshall, McGregor and only 1 young keeper we deserve a kick in the stones.

Think the alternative to Gordon in those days was Rab Douglas:o 

Totally agree we only need one older keeper.Think our attitude of having experienced cover in all positions has held us back. In fact it has probably held a lot of players back too

On 1/31/2018 at 6:21 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Think our attitude of having experienced cover in all positions has held us back. In fact it has probably held a lot of players back too

I think that's fair. I think it certainly stagnated our midfield, with younger, quicker, more adventurous players marginalised or overlooked in favour of 'steady' old players, like Morrison, McArthur, Fletcher.. the same is somewhat true of the striker position too. Fletcher and Naismith in possession for far too long, despite poor returns from both for clubs and country (during periods where Rhodes and Griffiths were scoring for fun).

Some positions like right back and centerback it was pretty much forced, due to lack of promising young players in those positions. Thankfully that's sort of shifting now.