Bids to replace Hampden - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bids to replace Hampden

Toepoke

16 minutes ago, Alan said:

Get more people in? We only sold out 1 home game in last qualifying game.

Well that is still lost revenue and I would hazard a guess a fair few thousand tickets more could have been sold for that match and with it a better atmosphere. And remember that England and Ireland games played at Parkhead three years ago were also sell-outs for a stadium with a far bigger capacity than Hampden at a time when we are hardly at an all-time high.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well that is still lost revenue and I would hazard a guess a fair few thousand tickets more could have been sold for that match and with it a better atmosphere. And remember that England and Ireland games played at Parkhead three years ago were also sell-outs for a stadium with a far bigger capacity than Hampden at a time when we are hardly at an all-time high.

That was at the end of our best spell for many a year. We hit our peak that night against Ireland 

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not to mention domestic cup finals too.

hampden for me, our national sport is football! it is an absolute disgrace that a rugby stadium i is even being considered yes it’s a better stadium but the truth is hampden hands down should be big and better! They can find money for Wales Ireland and England, we are second class citizens 

Hampden for me all day. Travelling there is all part of the fun of the day - granted leaving once the games finished can be like a bad hangover, where you be left to question your existence some times if we're rubbish. I thought murrayfield didn't look great with those big spaces behind the goals, not as big as hampdens obviously. Folk say it just can't be done to bring the stands in closer to the goals. Surely it could be at least looked into?

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ireland sold out. The friendly didn't.

10 hours ago, albathebrave said:

hampden for me, our national sport is football! it is an absolute disgrace that a rugby stadium i is even being considered yes it’s a better stadium but the truth is hampden hands down should be big and better! They can find money for Wales Ireland and England, we are second class citizens 

Why is it a disgrace to consider a better stadium? Just because rugby is played there now? That’s a very narrow minded opinion.

ive enjoyed Murrayfield far more than the experiences at hampden in recent years. Our so called international players could learn a lot from the current Scottish rugby team, the passion and desire shown by our rugby team is ten times that of the football team. 

In saying all that, it’s a pointless debate, there’s not a chance they will move from hampden. They’ve played a blinder in deflecting away from the shambles of not appointing a manager. Then again,  when the SFA have nobody to answer to they won’t care.

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would put that down to it being Linfield FC home ground though so more it being a stadium (not National) for sole use of the nstional side alone. Just like if we had moved to Ibrox/ Parkhead I would not call them a national stadium.

Hampden is a club ground too.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would put that down to it being Linfield FC home ground though so more it being a stadium (not National) for sole use of the nstional side alone. Just like if we had moved to Ibrox/ Parkhead I would not call them a national stadium.

Does that make Hampden the 2nd biggest then?:ok:

Point is, if and at present it is a massive if, there is the slightest chance Hampden gets refurbished it needs a bigger capacity. We should not miss an opportunity (AGAIN) to rebuild and make it a suitable stadium capacity-wise. Since its refurb there have been too many big matches that Scotland fans and club fans in Cup Finals have been left ticketless. Shocking state of affairs. Anyone like Michael Stewart advocating downsizing or even keeping capacity as is after another refurb are clueless.

Where is the money coming from to rebuild Hampden? We couldn't even afford to tempt a manager away from Northern Ireland furfuxake 

Hampden will be sold to developers and land will be purchased on the outskirts of Glasgow and we will get a stadium from the Qatari World Cup. In the meantime they will play at Murrayfield or remain st Hampden till it's shipped over and re-assembled 

7 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Where is the money coming from to rebuild Hampden? We couldn't even afford to tempt a manager away from Northern Ireland furfuxake 

Hampden will be sold to developers and land will be purchased on the outskirts of Glasgow and we will get a stadium from the Qatari World Cup. In the meantime they will play at Murrayfield or remain st Hampden till it's shipped over and re-assembled 

Oh yes I agree I cannot see any money being spent on Hampden. I have said that all along.

The decision to remain at Hampden will be made purely on its history for me. Certainly not the end of the world (for me) if they stay but if there's any chance that they can stay AND refurb then it is a bonus. Now nobody knows what is going on. Glasgow Council apparently stepped in so perhaps they have finance plans and are willing to consider a refurb. Perhaps that is why the SFA have left Hampden and Murrayfield in the running wherein that Murrayfield stages the matches whilst Hampden is refurbed. We can but hope.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It didn't but if it hsd bern at Hampden a few thousand fans would have missed the game due to its inferior capacity.

aye but you said it did.

that was the first ever Scotland v England game not to sell out - thanks SFA for the ridiculous prices for a friendly!

4 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

aye but you said it did.

that was the first ever Scotland v England game not to sell out - thanks SFA for the ridiculous prices for a friendly!

Point still stands. Due to smaller Hampden capacity if that match had been at Hampden thousands of fans would have missed out. Point proven. Thank you. :headbang:

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Point still stands. Due to smaller Hampden capacity if that match had been at Hampden thousands of fans would have missed out. Point proven. Thank you. :headbang:

where was that ever a point? you said a match had sold out but it hadn't.
First ever Scotland V England game not to sell out.
attendance was 3000 over Hampden's capacity.  5000 short of Celtic Park's.
well done SFA. £50 a ticket for a friendly.

3 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

where was that ever a point? you said a match had sold out but it hadn't.
First ever Scotland V England game not to sell out.
attendance was 3000 over Hampden's capacity.  5000 short of Celtic Park's.
well done SFA. £50 a ticket for a friendly.

Point is those games pulled in more (thousands more) than Hampden of today can hold. Maybe you are happy with the prospect of having a ground where fans miss out on tickets for big games - I am not. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig