Bids to replace Hampden - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bids to replace Hampden

Toepoke

Murrayfield over the ugly sisters any day.much as hampden needs to be improved in just about every sense i think it is a sad day when scotland national teams ends its affiliation with the national stadium.they should have left the athletics track down after the commonwealth games as it still could been ultilised as an athletics venue.its streets ahead of grangemouth or meadowbank...sad to think of hampden rotting away...

Spot on allyc. If it is to be that Scotland move from Hampden then it will surely signify the slow death of Hampden Park. I wonder if the SFA have thought about what happens to the museum situated there? By the time they move that elsewhere and thst will cost money will they really be saving that much money?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Having now read the report of the offer made by Glasgow City Council there is nothing there to suggest any major redevelopment or spending on the stadium. Talk is more about changing how the stadium leasing is financed. There is passing remarks about improving the user experience but nothing to say that means major redevelopment of any sort which you'd think they would at least hint towards.

No way can the Library or Entitlement host Scotland matches on a regular basis. The restricted view in the corners of the main stand are horrendous and are not fit for purpose in this day in age

Murrayfield until Hampden is redeveloped which will be never, so Murrayfield it is 

We’re going to look back at this with massive regret if we leave hampden. And wonder how the fuck we managed to convince ourselves that one of the most iconic stadiums in the world with a famous atmosphere was in fact shite. 

Everybody will be going on about how it’s an embarrassment that we’re the only home nation without an international football stadium and the SFA are a disgrace and all our money going to Rangers/Celtic/Rugby blah blah blah. But no cunt will have a right to say fuck all. The fans have thrown Hampden under the bus and hell mend us when it’s gone.

2 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

We’re going to look back at this with massive regret if we leave hampden. And wonder how the fuck we managed to convince ourselves that one of the most iconic stadiums in the world with a famous atmosphere was in fact shite. 

Everybody will be going on about how it’s an embarrassment that we’re the only home nation without an international football stadium and the SFA are a disgrace and all our money going to Rangers/Celtic/Rugby blah blah blah. But no cunt will have a right to say fuck all. The fans have thrown Hampden under the bus and hell mend us when it’s gone.

Not everyone wants to leave you know. I don't. The terrifying thought is the same I have when Strachan left. Its these incompetent a holes at the SFA who make the big decisions.

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

:ok::ok:

Hampden is home, it's not great but when it's full it's unbeatable. Think of some of the crunch games we have had, the atmosphere has been amazing. If we do change I really don't think Murray field is the answer, got to be Ibrox or parkhead. Preferably Parkhead

2 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

We wouldn’t be the only home nation without an international football stadium though, would we?

11 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

We wouldn’t be the only home nation without an international football stadium though, would we?

No and certainly not the only country in the world without a national stadium.

The thing is what do Scotland fans want most. A national stadium steeped in history and a place to call home. Or losing that and going on the road playing at slightly better stadiums. Take your pick.

Hampden is not ideal - but anyone who moans about the 'atmosphere' wasn't there when we beat France, or during the subsequent Ital game, or just before Beardy Kane's jammy equaliser or even after the late goal v Slovakia.

I agree with the several posters above who have said that Murrayfield until the Hampden stands are rebuilt for the 21st century. Which won't happen. (BTW - I wonder what Edinburgh residents think about the arrival of 60,000+ charming supporters for, say, an Old Firm cup final?

The grounds of teams where the flag count suggests they're more interested in Ireland, Palestine, Ulster or the 'United Kingdom' know where they can stuff themselves. If we go there long term I won't be coming.

3 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not everyone wants to leave you know. I don't. The terrifying thought is the same I have when Strachan left. Its these incompetent a holes at the SFA who make the big decisions.

I agree it's unbelievable we are having this discussion less than 20 years after Hampden re-opened. But as Craig says it seems the fans who use the stadium most, the Tartan Army, have been given very little say in the debate.

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

I agree it's unbelievable we are having this discussion less than 20 years after Hampden re-opened. But as Craig says it seems the fans who use the stadium most, the Tartan Army, have been given very little say in the debate.

And again where were the SFA consulting with Queen's Park about those renovations back then. And if they did have a say then they can be blamed for the half-arsed job done.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And again where were the SFA consulting with Queen's Park about those renovations back then. And if they did have a say then they can be blamed for the half-arsed job done.

The SFA were all over the the 1990s redevelopment. The easy option was taken, covering the existing stadium and more or less utilising the terraces to fit seats. Which to be fair was exactly what the FA had done at Wembley. However with the paint barely dry on the new Hampden South Stand the FA decided Wembley was to get replaced.

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

The SFA were all over the the 1990s redevelopment. The easy option was taken, covering the existing stadium and more or less utilising the terraces to fit seats. Which to be fair was exactly what the FA had done at Wembley. However with the paint barely dry on the new Hampden South Stand the FA decided Wembley was to get replaced.

No imagination or thought put into it. Around the same time Wales were building the Millennium Stadium out of the ashes of the old Cardiff Arms Park.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No imagination or thought put into it. Around the same time Wales were building the Millennium Stadium out of the ashes of the old Cardiff Arms Park.

Very true, although (pedant alert) Cardiff Arms Park is the smaller club rugby ground next to the old National Stadium / Millennium Stadium...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Arms_Park

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Very true, although (pedant alert) Cardiff Arms Park is the smaller club rugby ground next to the old National Stadium / Millennium Stadium...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Arms_Park

Yes the old National Stadium (where Wales rugby internationals were played) was called Cardiff Arms Park. On that site is where they built the Millennium Stadium. I remember it as being called Cardiff Arms Park but it also geot called the National Stadium.

End of the day the old National Stadium site was bulldozed and Millennium Stadium built on the same site whereas Hampden was virtually kept the same with seats put in and a roof built to cover all stands.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I'm sorry; what is it some people think is actually wrong with Hampden?

Does it merely boil down to the fact the East and West stands are a long way from the pitch?

Is that it???

P.S. don't bring transport into this because getting tens of thousands of people away from any stadium/arena is always a f*cking nightmare.

Count our blessing's we don't play somewhere like that stadium down in Faro.

10 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I'm sorry; what is it some people think is actually wrong with Hampden?

The W/E stands are too far from the pitch

So are the N/S stands

The pitch of the stands is too shallow - steeper is better

The design means a capacity of 52,000, whch these days will see it overlooked, besides any other issues, for major international finals.

The transport is a real issue - in other cities the Subway or Cathcart Circle would have been extended or slewed in order to provide mass transport. Though I will allow that the free buses to recent matches have helped considerably.

Enough to be going on with. For the record, as you'll see above, I'm in favour of keeping Hampden as our home and most of my best fitba experiences have happened there. But let's not blind ourselves to those aspects of the stadium that are a problem.