Bids to replace Hampden - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bids to replace Hampden

Toepoke

42 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Who said anything about squaring off the ends? 

Apologies for the assumption, you'd mentioned bringing the ends closer and making them steeper. That's going to take a mighty big stand to hold 13,000 fans (similar to the Lisbon Lions stand at Celtic Park).

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Apologies for the assumption, you'd mentioned bringing the ends closer and making them steeper. That's going to take a mighty big stand to hold 13,000 fans (similar to the Lisbon Lions stand at Celtic Park).

Could be wrong, but I am sure there was talk around the Commonwealth Games that there was height restrictions with Hampden, and building upwards was not a option.

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

The South Stand is higher than the rest....

I think its something to do with the houses on Somorville Drive in order to get sunlight, almost certain there was issue with the extension they added onto the North Stand.

While South Stand is higher, its more deeper into the ground that the outlines off the North, East and West Strands.

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think its something to do with the houses on Somorville Drive in order to get sunlight, almost certain there was issue with the extension they added onto the North Stand.

While South Stand is higher, its more deeper into the ground that the outlines off the North, East and West Strands.

I think the East and West roofs could be raised a bit, but not a great deal.  And as my cobbled together image showed, any major change would certainly affect the aesthetics of the stadium.

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think the East and West roofs could be raised a bit, but not a great deal.  And as my cobbled together image showed, any major change would certainly affect the aesthetics of the stadium.

Certainly not enough to add anything major to the ground capacity wise (if anything, will reduce the capacity).

Honestly do not think any major improvements will be made to the ground for decades to come, and anything done in the short terms will just be touches up here and there (ie like rail seating sections added in to somewhat "improve" the atmosphere for cup matches, but certainly nothing for Scotland match days).

SFA are probably looking at how can they improve Hampden from a money making point of view, rather than a match day atmosphere view.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Not unsurprising the way the story has developed. Sir Fergie's media outpouring was impeccably timed...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/legendary-manchester-united-boss-sir-12274418

1 hour ago, Langtonian said:

Queens Park have agreed in principle to selling Hampden to the SFA apparently

Yeah. Hopefully the deal will be done without any more unnecessary drama.

Looking forward to seeing how they will improve the stadium. It certainly doesn’t need to be knocked down. Just some improvements to the east and west stands, the seats, and the the facade.

3 hours ago, DizzyVizion said:

Yeah. Hopefully the deal will be done without any more unnecessary drama.

Looking forward to seeing how they will improve the stadium. It certainly doesn’t need to be knocked down. Just some improvements to the east and west stands, the seats, and the the facade.

The facade? That’s got to be the lowest priority surely?

The only thing that will greatly improve the experience at Hampden is somehow getting the east and west stands closer to the pitch. Whether that’s possible/feasible or not remains to be seen. 

I just hope the sale goes through because we’ll be playing second fiddle to rugby for the next 20 years if it doesn’t. 

27 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The facade? That’s got to be the lowest priority surely?

The only thing that will greatly improve the experience at Hampden is somehow getting Scotland to qualify for a major tournament. Whether that’s possible/feasible or not remains to be seen. 

I just hope the sale goes through because we’ll be playing second fiddle to rugby for the next 20 years if it doesn’t. 

Edited that ;):lol:

The next sentence (in red)didn't need editing :lol:

7 hours ago, fringo said:

Edited that ;):lol:

The next sentence (in red)didn't need editing :lol:

Wales and Northern Ireland. Both improved their stadia. Both qualify for tourneys.

If you go to a job interview you want to look your best. It’s a confidence boost which can improve your chances of getting the job.

Not the best analogy, but I think you get the point.

6 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

By the time the SFA finance upgrading lesser Hampden for QP there,ll be no money left to do anything to Hampden

How much is upgrading lesser Hampden going to cost? Hee haw compared to what will need to be spent on Hampden I would reckon. 

I can’t see them doing much to the ground in the first couple of years to be honest. It will take time to get the money together. No doubt some corporate sponsorship would be involved with the east and west stands being renamed. 

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 9:39 PM, JECK said:

Had a seat in the front row of the West v Belarus 05. My one and only time i'll make that mistake again.

Genuine question (cos I've never stood there): can you actually see the pitch from the front row of the east/West stands?

There's no elevation and there are advertising hoarding's just back from the goal line, aren't there?

That suggests to me that fans can't actually see the pitch nor the ball when it is played along the ground... or is it not quite so bad as that?

Havent a scooby how much it would cost to upgrade Lesser Hampden as dont know what it entails but it,ll more than hee haw <_< and it,ll be part of the buy out so Hampden will have to take a back seat.Leave some of the suits at home for the away games and we,ll have the money in no time

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Genuine question (cos I've never stood there): can you actually see the pitch from the front row of the east/West stands?

There's no elevation and there are advertising hoarding's just back from the goal line, aren't there?

That suggests to me that fans can't actually see the pitch nor the ball when it is played along the ground... or is it not quite so bad as that?

You can see the pitch but anything in the opposite half is difficult to make out as it’s so far away. 

You need to be at least half way up the stand to see anything in the other half and even then the view isn’t great. 

That’s only directly behind the goals to be fair. The view gets better the further round towards the north/south stands you go, especially if you’re a good 20-30 rows up. 

On 22/02/2018 at 11:41 PM, Alan said:

The narrative on Hampden Park is way out of line with reality.  Terms like "Dilapidated" and "not fit for purpose" are pure hyperbole similar to a political rant on social media.  It has positives and many inaccuracies in the current debate.

Transport

It has 2 train stations.  5+ public bus routes.  Shuttle buses from Buchanan Bus Station.  1 hours walk from city centre.  About £10 to £12 in a taxi.  Every stadium has delays in getting 50k out after a game.  Wembley, Ibrox, Parkhead, Murrayfield.  There have all been delays when I visit them for football, rugby and concerts.  Better planning by supporters would make their journey easier.  Better communication on what is out there would also help.

Pubs

There are 20 pubs within a 30 minute walk of Hampden.  More restaurants.  About 10 bowling clubs.  q nightclub.  Lots of places for people to go before and after the game from traditional pubs to trendier bars in Strathbungo.  On here it seems people congregate to the same 2 or 3 venues that cause chaos.

Facilities

Yes behind the goals is poor.  That is one area that should be improved if financially possible.  South Stand is superb.  North Stand is decent with upgraded facilities from Glasgow 2014.  What else do people want?  A fan zone in Lesser Hampden would be very good especially for families and hopefully something there or in the car park would be used.

Atmosphere

In the past 15 years Netherlands, Germany, Ukraine, France, Italy, Spain, England even Poland were all games with big atmospheres.  Late goals v Slovakia and Slovenia were outstanding.  I've seen grown men bouncing out the stadium after a good result and heard roars that I don't get at my own club team.  On the pitch and off the pitch combine to make the atmosphere.  It  can be good.  It can be very good.  Being in another stadium would not improve this.

History

It's our home.  Spiritual home of Scottish football.  Go the museum as it is brilliant and learn and remember the history of the place and our place in the global game.  The unique setup of Scottish domestic football means we need a neutral venue for the Old Firm who will (unfortunately :-) ) be in many cup finals against each other.  This is the way of the world.  Why would you want money to be given to the 2 biggest clubs if we played there or to another sport at Murrayfield?  Selfishly it also brings a lot of money to Glasgow which is where I live.

Agree with a lot of this. But what is also way out of line with reality is that the sfa have 10s of millions to spend improving Hampden. They don't. So if they stay at Hampden it will likely remain the way it is for a long time. A poor spectator stadium for many and inferior to murrayfield or celtic park / ibrox. 

I think to rule out murrayfield just because it's a rugby stadium is short sighted and small minded and symptomatic of the Ills of the Scottish game.  As a stadium there is little comparison.

Dragging say hibs/hearts through to Hampden for a match when murrayfield is sitting there empty is madness. And if the sfa stay at Hampden that will likely continue. It's that sort of mentality that has and is holding our game back. 

So the sfa will stay at Hampden of that I am sure.

On 23/02/2018 at 12:08 AM, Texas Pete said:

I doubt they intend to spend millions (other than the initial £2 million to buy the stadium which amounts to a little over 2 years rent). 

This is definitely the best option. Murrayfield is a good stadium but the SRU will always prioritise the rugby team (and rightly so) so what happens if there are scheduling issues? 

Rugby is also played on slightly longer grass so how would that work? 

There are rumours of stand redevelopment if they are successful in buying Hampden but they are only rumours at this stage.

They could try cutting the grass...