Bids to replace Hampden - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bids to replace Hampden

Toepoke

The narrative on Hampden Park is way out of line with reality.  Terms like "Dilapidated" and "not fit for purpose" are pure hyperbole similar to a political rant on social media.  It has positives and many inaccuracies in the current debate.

Transport

It has 2 train stations.  5+ public bus routes.  Shuttle buses from Buchanan Bus Station.  1 hours walk from city centre.  About £10 to £12 in a taxi.  Every stadium has delays in getting 50k out after a game.  Wembley, Ibrox, Parkhead, Murrayfield.  There have all been delays when I visit them for football, rugby and concerts.  Better planning by supporters would make their journey easier.  Better communication on what is out there would also help.

Pubs

There are 20 pubs within a 30 minute walk of Hampden.  More restaurants.  About 10 bowling clubs.  q nightclub.  Lots of places for people to go before and after the game from traditional pubs to trendier bars in Strathbungo.  On here it seems people congregate to the same 2 or 3 venues that cause chaos.

Facilities

Yes behind the goals is poor.  That is one area that should be improved if financially possible.  South Stand is superb.  North Stand is decent with upgraded facilities from Glasgow 2014.  What else do people want?  A fan zone in Lesser Hampden would be very good especially for families and hopefully something there or in the car park would be used.

Atmosphere

In the past 15 years Netherlands, Germany, Ukraine, France, Italy, Spain, England even Poland were all games with big atmospheres.  Late goals v Slovakia and Slovenia were outstanding.  I've seen grown men bouncing out the stadium after a good result and heard roars that I don't get at my own club team.  On the pitch and off the pitch combine to make the atmosphere.  It  can be good.  It can be very good.  Being in another stadium would not improve this.

History

It's our home.  Spiritual home of Scottish football.  Go the museum as it is brilliant and learn and remember the history of the place and our place in the global game.  The unique setup of Scottish domestic football means we need a neutral venue for the Old Firm who will (unfortunately :-) ) be in many cup finals against each other.  This is the way of the world.  Why would you want money to be given to the 2 biggest clubs if we played there or to another sport at Murrayfield?  Selfishly it also brings a lot of money to Glasgow which is where I live.

35 minutes ago, Alan said:

The narrative on Hampden Park is way out of line with reality.  Terms like "Dilapidated" and "not fit for purpose" are pure hyperbole similar to a political rant on social media.  It has positives and many inaccuracies in the current debate.

Transport

It has 2 train stations.  5+ public bus routes.  Shuttle buses from Buchanan Bus Station.  1 hours walk from city centre.  About £10 to £12 in a taxi.  Every stadium has delays in getting 50k out after a game.  Wembley, Ibrox, Parkhead, Murrayfield.  There have all been delays when I visit them for football, rugby and concerts.  Better planning by supporters would make their journey easier.  Better communication on what is out there would also help.

Pubs

There are 20 pubs within a 30 minute walk of Hampden.  More restaurants.  About 10 bowling clubs.  q nightclub.  Lots of places for people to go before and after the game from traditional pubs to trendier bars in Strathbungo.  On here it seems people congregate to the same 2 or 3 venues that cause chaos.

Facilities

Yes behind the goals is poor.  That is one area that should be improved if financially possible.  South Stand is superb.  North Stand is decent with upgraded facilities from Glasgow 2014.  What else do people want?  A fan zone in Lesser Hampden would be very good especially for families and hopefully something there or in the car park would be used.

Atmosphere

In the past 15 years Netherlands, Germany, Ukraine, France, Italy, Spain, England even Poland were all games with big atmospheres.  Late goals v Slovakia and Slovenia were outstanding.  I've seen grown men bouncing out the stadium after a good result and heard roars that I don't get at my own club team.  On the pitch and off the pitch combine to make the atmosphere.  It  can be good.  It can be very good.  Being in another stadium would not improve this.

History

It's our home.  Spiritual home of Scottish football.  Go the museum as it is brilliant and learn and remember the history of the place and our place in the global game.  The unique setup of Scottish domestic football means we need a neutral venue for the Old Firm who will (unfortunately :-) ) be in many cup finals against each other.  This is the way of the world.  Why would you want money to be given to the 2 biggest clubs if we played there or to another sport at Murrayfield?  Selfishly it also brings a lot of money to Glasgow which is where I live.

Absolutely spot on. Every single word. :ok:

Edited by Ormond

35 minutes ago, Alan said:

Transport

Pubs

Facilities

Atmosphere

History

Agreed. 

On 2/3/2018 at 1:36 PM, DizzyVizion said:

Hampden is a genuine Scottish icon with masses of history and a few moany beggars looking to save few quid should not matter in this context. That we are even entertaining the idea of leaving is absolutely shocking!

As an outsider, I have no idea of the practicalities and finances etc of staying or leaving. But as someone who has visited Hampden a half a dozen times since my first trip (1978?), I have to say I sympathise 100% with the above sentiment.

No harm to the Old Firm or Murrayfield etc, but surely to goodness you have to find a way of staying at Hampden? Even in its present state, it's still one of the great football grounds of the world.

9 hours ago, Alan said:

Transport

Pubs

Facilities

Atmosphere

History

100% agree with this...

I've seen lots and lots of debate on the subject on various forums, Twitter, Facebook, etc and still haven't heard a compelling argument for us to leave Hampden. The stadium is nowhere near as bad as is being made out, but again, when people read things in the press, they tend to believe it.

Is there room for improvement? Most definitely...Is moving to Murrayfield exponentially better? Not a fucking chance

On 22/02/2018 at 11:15 AM, ShedTA said:

Jesus Christ, I thought things couldn't get any worse. yes that's the best plan, spend many more millions on a dilapidated unsuitable stadium when there are 3 other perfectly good ones in the country. I would hate them to use Ibrox or celtic park but I would prefer that than them spending millions more on hampden. what a waste of cash just to try and cling onto the pathetic idea that we are still a force in international football.

the same people that appoint Alex McLeish come up with this genius plan. it says it all. the money should be spent on grass roots and decent facilities around the country, not trying to uphold the Glasgow centric sfa cabal of blazers, who quite frankly have shown that they are next to f*cking useless at running our game. get rid of the sfa and start again, with some people with real ideas, not dinosaurs stuck in the 60's/70's..

I doubt they intend to spend millions (other than the initial £2 million to buy the stadium which amounts to a little over 2 years rent). 

This is definitely the best option. Murrayfield is a good stadium but the SRU will always prioritise the rugby team (and rightly so) so what happens if there are scheduling issues? 

Rugby is also played on slightly longer grass so how would that work? 

There are rumours of stand redevelopment if they are successful in buying Hampden but they are only rumours at this stage.

On 22/02/2018 at 4:33 PM, Clyde1998 said:

I think the SFA buying Hampden could be good for us in the long term, as it would the enable redevelopment of Hampden should funds become available to do so.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but Stuttgart converted their stadium from having an athletics track around it to being purely for football recently and the difference is huge:

800px-Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion-2007.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-Arena_Stuttgart.jpg

It would be great if something like this was possible at Hampden.

Werder Bremen did it too. Would love to see this done at Hampden.

On 22/02/2018 at 10:41 PM, Alan said:

Transport

Pubs

Facilities

Atmosphere

History

Spot on!

On 22/02/2018 at 10:41 PM, Alan said:

Transport

Pubs

Facilities

Atmosphere

History

Excellent post Alan.

On 24/02/2018 at 1:18 PM, stevenmcn said:

Werder Bremen did it too. Would love to see this done at Hampden.

That would be great. It’s only really the East and West stands that need brought closer and steepenend. We could probably do it and get the capacity up to 80, 000 or there abouts. Great for Cup Finals as well as qualifiers. Close the top tiers for friendlies.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

That would be great. It’s only really the East and West stands that need brought closer and steepenend. We could probably do it and get the capacity up to 80, 000 or there abouts. Great for Cup Finals as well as qualifiers. Close the top tiers for friendlies.

:blink: To do that and get 80,000 capacity you'd need a stand behind each goal with around 27,000 seats.  As a comparison that's more than double the capacity of the stands behind the goals at Celtic Park!

It would take two huge stands to maintain the capacity at 52,000 nevermind increasing it further.

Edited by Toepoke

Was reading there is talk of putting railed seats into the East and West Stands..... FIFA have not passed these for the "unlocked" position in international football yet, so seems odd to spend money on putting these in when you can only use them for domestic cup competitions (can be used in 3/4 cup semi finals, and two finals.... but Scotland can not use them in any of the 5/6 games played at Hampden over a year). 

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

:blink: To do that and get 80,000 capacity you'd need a stand behind each goal with around 27,000 seats.  As a comparison that's more than double the capacity of the stands behind the goals at Celtic Park!

It would take two huge stands to maintain the capacity at 52,000 nevermind increasing it further.

Make it so!

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I honestly doubt there will be any major work done at Hampden for decades to come.

If the SFA go ahead with this, they will probably consult Glasgow City Council on just how serious they were on talk of Helping getting Hampden into shape.

I doubt these will be anything major, but more touches up like maybe introducing railed seating for domestic cup games, and getting Hampden into a position where is can be actually making some money for the owners (apparently there is a whole level/floor in the south stand that is sitting empty as nobody knows what to do with this possible office space).

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Very nice, but surely your calculations are out? Current capacity is 52,000. 27, 000 extra overall needs to be divided by 2 for each end and these sections are already very wide (so less relative height required). 

South Stand holds 17,000. North 9,000. East & West 13,000 each thanks to the fact they are curved. 

If you squared off the ends you'd need a much higher stand to maintain those 13,000 seats. Bigger again if you want to increase the capacity.

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

South Stand holds 17,000. North 9,000. East & West 13,000 each thanks to the fact they are curved. 

If you squared off the ends you'd need a much higher stand to maintain those 13,000 seats. Bigger again if you want to increase the capacity.

Much higher or shallower (if it is possible to make it any shallower).