Bids to replace Hampden - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bids to replace Hampden

Toepoke

11 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

And as I said above, Murrayfield is not designed for segregation.

This doesn't mean that there isn't plans in place to change this if they get the contract. If they are bidding then it will be within there interests to bring the stadium up to standard

On 28/01/2018 at 3:11 PM, KirkieRobRoy said:

The W/E stands are too far from the pitch

So are the N/S stands

The pitch of the stands is too shallow - steeper is better

The design means a capacity of 52,000, whch these days will see it overlooked, besides any other issues, for major international finals.

The transport is a real issue - in other cities the Subway or Cathcart Circle would have been extended or slewed in order to provide mass transport. Though I will allow that the free buses to recent matches have helped considerably.

Enough to be going on with. For the record, as you'll see above, I'm in favour of keeping Hampden as our home and most of my best fitba experiences have happened there. But let's not blind ourselves to those aspects of the stadium that are a problem.

Transport is not an issue, folk are just too lazy to walk to another station or back to town, instead they choose to stand in a 2 hour que.

Enough of this nonsense about transport links to Hampden. Every sports or events venue in the world has problems with busy traffic/transport before and after an event.  The stadium is in an excellent position , with motorways  and 3 train stations nearby along with numerous bus services. City centre is in walking distance. It is patently better transport wise than the three main alternatives mentioned ie Celtic Park , Ibrox , and the Edinburgh rugby ground ( driving into Edinburgh at any time is a nightmare).

Why not both Murrayfield and Hampden.

If a cup game involves 2 east coast sides play at Murrayfield and if 2 west coast sides then Glasgow. Otherwise alternate.

Alternate the internationals between the 2 grounds. There are occasionally cup or internationals around the same dates as the rugby so wouldn't require either the SRU or SFA to change there current schedules.

Could also as part of the deal get the SRU to play a couple of rugby matches a year at Hampden.

1 hour ago, drew said:

Why not both Murrayfield and Hampden.

If a cup game involves 2 east coast sides play at Murrayfield and if 2 west coast sides then Glasgow. Otherwise alternate.

Alternate the internationals between the 2 grounds. There are occasionally cup or internationals around the same dates as the rugby so wouldn't require either the SRU or SFA to change there current schedules.

Could also as part of the deal get the SRU to play a couple of rugby matches a year at Hampden.

Actually quite a good idea. I'm not sure how they could work out a contract for that but not a bad suggestion.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Don't know what Michael Stewart is wittering on about on the BBC Sport website. Suggesting they keep Hampden and cut the capacity to 30,000 to 35,000 and use Murrayfield for the big sell-out matches. Sorry but no. If work is to be done to Hampden it should be to correct things and increase the capacity.

Why go to the trouble and cost to reduce it ? That is madness. Any money spent should be for the obvious improvements.

No to Murrayfield (despite it being much easier to get to). 

On 1/28/2018 at 9:58 AM, TDYER63 said:

Between the ongoing lack of qualification for anything,  and the circus surrounding  appointing a new manager,  this might be the straw that breaks the camels back for me.  To lose the National stadium , despite its faults,  to me would be almost like an acceptance that we are shite and going nowhere.  

If we had never had a stadium, and were just deciding whether or not to build one,  I would possibly feel different. But to have one, then lose it, to me is just another way to undermine scottish football.

You’ve got an upvote for that lassie. 

1 hour ago, mariokempes56 said:

Why go to the trouble and cost to reduce it ? That is madness. Any money spent should be for the obvious improvements.

Agreed, absolute bonkers logic to spend a fortune making a stadium smaller. Just don't use the worst seats if the full capacity is not required.

9 hours ago, Ormond said:

You’ve got an upvote for that lassie. 

Aye well I need to raise the bar a bit when I leave the safety of ‘anything goes’ 🙂

At least they have eliminated the least attractive of the options. Someone called into a phone in last night and said people need to detach from the emotion of Hampden and look at it financially.  That statement encapsulates  everything that is wrong with football these days. One morning we will wake up and there will be no excitement or passion left in this game.   

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

One morning we will wake up and there will be no excitement or passion left in this game.   

I think we are close to that.  There is little talk of teams and tactics before games.  The noise is about pre and post match "perties", "who did you meet?", "so and so is a great guy cos they publicly gave £15 to a charity, oh its not a weekend so I can't turn this into a rugby trip/stag do.

Edinburgh dead easy for me to get to. I’d be able to get home by train most of the time after these shitty non Wednesday or Saturday matches however it’s not selling itself to me for some reason.

Maybe it’s the fact Edinburgh boozers are more and more getting up their own arses and becoming more and more expensive for what they actually are?

11 hours ago, fringo said:

Actually quite a good idea. I'm not sure how they could work out a contract for that but not a bad suggestion.

It shouldn't be difficult. The sticking point sadly would be the SRU moving rugby games to Hampden seeing as they own Murrayfield and are selling it out on a regular basis.

11 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

I agree on this. If this was ever a serious thought then it should have been done during the Commonwealth games when the stadium changes to host it could have been permanent.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Today's record says supposedly SFA have already agreed to keep it at Hampden and Murrayfield is now just a smokescreen

I think this is correct...
Incompetent wankers at SFA using Murrayfield to get a better deal on Hampden.
Murrayfield simply not practical for old firm final - how do you segregate fans on the train ?

I would be up in arms if 100 years of history was cast aside and Scottish football moved to Murrayfield (... and I live in Edinburgh!)
Hampden is the historical home of Scottish football and shouldnt be cast aside just to save a few quid.

Edited by Haggis_trap

56 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Segregation on trains, really?

What about a Hearts/Hibs final, or Aberdeen/Tayside team final in Glasgow then. 

the new firm are a little more civilised than the celtic / ranger minkers ;)

Really pissed off with the SFA at the moment

- No manager
- Not going to World Cup
- Threatening to obliterate 100 years of history on a whim by leaving Hampden

FWIW : I dont believe for a minute they are actually going to move out of Hampden to Murrayfield.

5 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

I would be up in arms if 100 years of history was cast aside and Scottish football moved to Murrayfield (... and I live in Edinburgh!)
Hampden is the historical home of Scottish football and shouldnt be cast aside just to save a few quid.

Yep. 

I wish hampden had been redesigned properly by football fans 25 years ago but instead we got an athletics stadium.

Love the history, wish it still had the biggest capacity in the world, the look on the opposing players when 130,000 tanked up scotsmen are yelling in their faces, brown their keeks.

However, don't think that'll happen again, could sfa not buy a stadium?  So football owned its own stadium.

But I think Murrayfield is the better stadium and we can get more in and make more money and create bigger atmosphere.  Have to say the noise at the scotland v All blacks game when doddie weir walked out was incredible.

So for me tough at as it is to break with tradition i'm for murrayfield.

1 hour ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

I wish hampden had been redesigned properly by football fans 25 years ago but instead we got an athletics stadium.

Love the history, wish it still had the biggest capacity in the world, the look on the opposing players when 130,000 tanked up scotsmen are yelling in their faces, brown their keeks.

However, don't think that'll happen again, could sfa not buy a stadium?  So football owned its own stadium.

But I think Murrayfield is the better stadium and we can get more in and make more money and create bigger atmosphere.  Have to say the noise at the scotland v All blacks game when doddie weir walked out was incredible.

So for me tough at as it is to break with tradition i'm for murrayfield.

Hiya Big Ron. :wave: