Overnight stop over Istanbul airport - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Overnight stop over Istanbul airport

Scotland Ever More

Booked for Tirana via Istanbul. Arrive at 11.40pm and next flight is 8.05am.

For anyone who's done similar there, how realistic is it that we could get into the town centre for a couple of hours and back in good time for the connecting flight? And will there even be anything worth doing other than walking around at that time of the morning?

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2018 at 9:45 PM, Scotland Ever More said:

For anyone who's done similar there, how realistic is it that we could get into the town centre for a couple of hours and back in good time for the connecting flight? And will there even be anything worth doing other than walking around at that time of the morning?

When we went to see Celtic a few years ago, it was about an hour on the bus from Ataturk to Taksim Square. There are a good few things open late at night, restaurants/cafes/bars etc but from what I remember, Ataturk Airport it's self is massive, plenty to do etc although I cannot for the life of me remember if there are any bars that sell alcohol.

On 25 January 2018 at 9:45 PM, Scotland Ever More said:

Its realistic to go but remember if you go through immigration at all even as in your case for up to 9 hours you'll need to get an e-visa!, and it'll cost you $20!!!!!

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Re free hotel room suggestion, unlikely you'll qualify as its 10 hour minimum layover in economy class to qualify I think.

If you stay airside the airport is typical of all airports its very expensive for eating and drinking.

10 minutes ago, macwomble said:

Its realistic to go but remember if you go through immigration at all even as in your case for up to 9 hours you'll need to get an e-visa!, and it'll cost you $20!!!!!

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Re free hotel room suggestion, unlikely you'll qualify as its 10 hour minimum layover in economy class to qualify I think.

If you stay airside the airport is typical of all airports its very expensive for eating and drinking.

Thanks for the info. Think I'll probably pay for the visa and even go a walk around the city centre for a couple of hours rather than sit around the airport 

• 6 months later...

If you are travelling with Turkish Airlines and your stop over is I think 10 hours or more they accommodate you in 5 * hotel plus transport.

You must of course be taking the first available flight out of Istanbul you cannot choose a later flight . Yiu wont get the offer. We did it on our way Kisnau. It was superb