Burns - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Prince Charles is visiting an Edinburgh hospital. He enters a ward full of patients with no obvious sign of injury or illness and greets one.

The patient replies:

"Fair fa your honest sonsie face,

Great chieftain o the puddin race,

Aboon them a ye take yer place,

Painch, tripe or thairm,

As langs my airm."

Charles is confused, so he just grins and moves on to the next patient. The patient responds:

"Some hae meat an canna eat,

And some wad eat that want it,

But we hae meat an we can eat,

So let the Lord be thankit."

Even more confused, and his grin now rictus-like, the Prince moves on to the next patient, who immediately begins to chant:

"Wee sleekit, cowerin, timrous beasty,

O the panic in thy breasty,

Thou needna start awa sae hastie,

Wi bickering brattle."

Now seriously troubled, Charles turns to the accompanying doctor and asks "Is this a psychiatric ward?"

"No," replies the doctor, "this is the Serious Burns Unit."

Happy Burns Day Ormond and Happy Anniversary. Like me, you kerp your personal life private , I would never have known you were married. 

I am no really into poetry, and Burns is no exception, but I am going to a TASA burns supper in Perth on Saturday,  so will have a dram for you in your home city 👍

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

He was Bob Dylan’s single greatest influence. 

Woody Guthrie, Herman Melville, PB Shelley, the King James Bible, a host of Delta Bluesmen, Dylan Thomas, Robert Browning, Robert Lowell, William Blake, whoever wrote 'Lord Randall', Lord Byron, Allen Ginsberg, William Shakespeare ... Burns has been an influence, but 'single greatest' is pushing it a bit.

8 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Woody Guthrie, Herman Melville, PB Shelley, the King James Bible, a host of Delta Bluesmen, Dylan Thomas, Robert Browning, Robert Lowell, William Blake, whoever wrote 'Lord Randall', Lord Byron, Allen Ginsberg, William Shakespeare ... Burns has been an influence, but 'single greatest' is pushing it a bit.

Maybe.   Looks like Dylan picked Red, Red Rose as his most influential lyric for an HMV advertising campaign.   And if Paxman doesn't like it, I'm wi Bob.