Mark E Smith - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mark E Smith

6 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

He was a one off but I could never really get into The Fall and his autobiography was a hard read.

Yeah, there was a lot of ego there and he must've been a bastard to work with. On their night, a great live experience though. I've still got a wad of drunkenly scribbled lyric sheets he gave me stuffed in a drawer somewhere.

Just listening to this on 6 music.... I'd forgotten what a fckn genius he was.... Difficult, obstreperous, always on the edge of toys out the pram-ania...

Nonetheless, fckn brilliant!

Last time I saw them jings... about 15 years ago, jeez, as enigmatic as ever.... Band were great, MES walked off, band were still playing for another 10 minutes....

MES walked back on & said get the f... off the stage, end of gig... Haha, ach magic memories!!!

I particularly liked one of the first quotes I read after hearing the news...

'Everyone in Heaven just became a member of the Fall'.... Sounds about right and he'll fall out with all of them!

Edited by fierypict

Heard a story on 6 Music earlier where he'd staggered pished out of a Manchester pub and into a taxi. Only it was actually Badly Drawn Boy's car, he was waiting to pick a mate up.

BDB recognised him and was happy to run him home, but MES didn't realise it wasn't actually a taxi, and upon discovering that he had no cash remaining, he left his leather jacket as payment :-)) 

15 hours ago, aaid said:

Sadly dead.  Didn't look that good when he cancelled some gigs before Christmas.   An absolute one-off.

Had to google the lyrics to this (understandably).  Pretty much sums up the way football went over the next 35 years. Visionary...

Kicker, Kicker Conspiracy. Kicker, Kicker Conspiracy
J. Hill's** satanic reign
Ass-lickers King O'Team
Kicker, Kicker Conspiracy x 2

In the marble halls of the charm school
How flair is punished
Under Marble Millichip***, the FA. broods
On how flair can be punished
They're guest is a Euro-State magnate
How flair is punished

K.K.C. X4

In the booze club, George Best**** does rule
How flair is punished
His downfall was a blonde girl, but that's none of your business!
K. K. C. X 4

Former fan at the bus stop
Treads on the ball at his feet, in the christmas rush
And in his hands, two lager cans
Talks to himself. At the back. At the top

What are the implications of the club unit?
Plastic, Slime, Partitions, Cocktail, Zig-Zag, Tudor Bar

Pat McGatt. Pat McGatt, the very famous sports reporter is
Talking......there

FANS! ! ! "Remember, you are abroad!
Remember the police are rough!
Remember the unemployed!
Remember my expense account!

HOT DOGS AND SEAT FOR MR. HOGG !!
HOT DOGS AND SEAT FOR MR. HOGG!!!
AAAAAANNNNDDD HIS GROTTYSPAWN! ! ! !

Lurid brochures for ground unit
Our style is punished

K. K. C. X 5
Remember! don't collect with the rough
K. K. C. X 1

Kicker, lets swell the facilities

Kicker Conspiracy 

15 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

I could never really get into The Fall

Ditto 

Id go further and say i thought they were shite 

Sorry 

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, Toepoke said:

My first encounter with The Fall (and my only encounter with Michael Clarke's bare erse)...

Aye, I remember watching that. I'd known them for a fair while as the cousin of my sister's boyfriend of the time played keyboards in an early incarnation of the band (Yvonne Pawlett, she's on the cover of the 'It's the New Thing' single I linked to above). Despite meeting the bloke, enjoying the gigs and buying all the early singles and some later ones I don't think I ever really understood what was going on. I saw the Fall as a band rather than a Mark E Smith apolitical situationist project which would have been a better perspective, but I wouldn't have got that at the time anyway.

Mark Radcliffe's show is worth listening to, especially for Stewart Lee, who did get it.  

Edited by DonnyTJS

6 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Aye, I remember watching that. I'd known them for a fair while as the cousin of my sister's boyfriend of the time played keyboards in an early incarnation of the band (Yvonne Pawlett, she's on the cover of the 'It's the New Thing' single I linked to above). Despite meeting the bloke, enjoying the gigs and buying all the early singles and some later ones I don't think I ever really understood what was going on. I saw the Fall as a band rather than a Mark E Smith apolitical situationist project which would have been a better perspective, but I wouldn't have got that at the time anyway.

Mark Radcliffe's show is worth listening to, especially for Stewart Lee, who did get it.  

Your sister's boyfriend's cousin being in The Fall is something half the population could claim, tbf.

31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That sounds like you are implying that Donny's sister liked to spread it aboot a bit. How well did you know her?

The other side of that equation - there were so many past members of the Fall that half the population could claim some sort of connection to one of them.

I didn’t know much of his music but any interviews with him were brilliant - this one is possibly the best:

Edited by neilser