How long have you supported your club? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How long have you supported your club?

18 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

When my family moved to bradford we lived a few hundred yards from valley parade and i used to go along at half time when the gates opened i was hooked. My family moved to south bradford and although my uncle still took me to bradford city games the area i lived was a  bradford (park avenue ) haunt so as i grew up i went to both not every week but as often as possible.when avenue went bust it was just city. I moved back to Dunfermline in the late 70s and followed the pars after about 3 seasons i moved back to bradford and followed city again untill the fire. It didnt feel the same after that so i stopped going. After a while i ground hopped a bit and in the mean time avenue reformed as a saturday team so i watched them occasionally but didnt go regularly untill they moved to the ground they play at now and they were playing in the northern premier league.

Ian

An old mate of mine from work goes to Bradford PA with his 2 young lads fairly often - he was born & bred in Islington & is die-hard Arsenal, so if you come across a bloke, late 50s with a strong London accent, say hello from me!

On 2018-01-22 at 8:17 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Was born in Glasgow, moved here as a boy. Ma Dad was a lifelong Celtic supporter, went to every match. My whole family in Scotland support Celtic. I was brought up Celtic and Scotland.. Hope that answers your question..

How old were you when you moved ?

13 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

How old were you when you moved ?

I was 7. But my Father raised us all Scottish. He was a very proud Scotsman .Loved Celtic. .Raised us to be proud of being Scottish and to never forget our heritage. Every Friday and Saturday night when he was pished, he would blast Bagpipes on the stereo. Maybe thats why I am a Piper now..🤣

4 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Every Friday and Saturday night when he was pished, he would blast Bagpipes on the stereo. Maybe thats why I am a Piper now..🤣

Every night when my Faither was pished, he would blast my Maw. Maybe that’s why I’m a top shagger now. :ok:

21 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

An old mate of mine from work goes to Bradford PA with his 2 young lads fairly often - he was born & bred in Islington & is die-hard Arsenal, so if you come across a bloke, late 50s with a strong London accent, say hello from me!

I will do he doesnt come to mind but i am sure i have seen a guy with a retro Arsenal shirt on.

4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I was 7. But my Father raised us all Scottish. He was a very proud Scotsman .Loved Celtic. .Raised us to be proud of being Scottish and to never forget our heritage. Every Friday and Saturday night when he was pished, he would blast Bagpipes on the stereo. Maybe thats why I am a Piper now..🤣

Am in Canada too ; my son was only 3 when we moved

hes been to a few games on home visits ; but suspect the pies,pub,swearing are attraction for him

moved here in 06 and interest in the game had dwindled significantly

i had a football channel for first month only

On 25/01/2018 at 3:00 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Am in Canada too ; my son was only 3 when we moved

hes been to a few games on home visits ; but suspect the pies,pub,swearing are attraction for him

moved here in 06 and interest in the game had dwindled significantly

i had a football channel for first month only

I know what you mean mate. When I moved here there was no internet or computer. Had to listen on shortwave radio.🤤. Eventually the Ottawa Celtic Supporters Club formed and we started getting live Celtic matches in the early 90s. We subsribed through Setanta so we got Scotland matches as well. Funny thing was, the first old firm live match here was both Celtic and Sevco fans in the same pub as we only had one feed. That did not last long. We fuckin hated each other and went to our own local. Still fuckin hate them.😊

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy since I was a nipper. Missed us winning the Junior Cup in 1962 as I was only 11 months and nobody took me. Saw us lose 2 junior cup finals - once in 1969 to Cambuslang Rangers and then in 1977 to Kilbirnie Ladeside. Didn't see many games from 1979 onwards as I played rugby for Lenzie  and then moved to England in 1984. Came back up for any significant junior cup matches and go and watch when I'm back in Kirkintilloch. My dad has been on the committee for 40 odd years and was manager for 2 seasons in 1978-1980. Senior sides used to loan out their players and remember answering the phone to Jock Wallace and Davie Hay when they were Rangers and Celtic managers respectively. Used to have a brilliant social club at the old ground Adamslie with some cracking acts on there - eg Hector Nichol.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:57 AM, Shotts56 said:

Got my first season ticket at Accies in 1987 when I was 13.  30 years, 6 relegations and 6 promotions later I'm still going.  Need my head looked at.

Not for loyalty and perseverance you don't. :ok:

2 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy since I was a nipper. Missed us winning the Junior Cup in 1962 as I was only 11 months and nobody took me. Saw us lose 2 junior cup finals - once in 1969 to Cambuslang Rangers and then in 1977 to Kilbirnie Ladeside. Didn't see many games from 1979 onwards as I played rugby for Lenzie  and then moved to England in 1984. Came back up for any significant junior cup matches and go and watch when I'm back in Kirkintilloch. My dad has been on the committee for 40 odd years and was manager for 2 seasons in 1978-1980. Senior sides used to loan out their players and remember answering the phone to Jock Wallace and Davie Hay when they were Rangers and Celtic managers respectively. Used to have a brilliant social club at the old ground Adamslie with some cracking acts on there - eg Hector Nichol.

Tremendous! :ok:

50 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

In the middle of Ottowa ? Sorry but that’s fucking tragic. 

Erm, was not our choice. Both sets if supporters sitting in the same pub, few boozed up. What do you expect. My CSC welcomed any fan from any club..Never an issue. I agree with you Jim, but thats the way it is. In saying that, I can wear my Celtic top anywhere in Ottawa, dont know if I would di that in Glasgow..😁

6 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

In the middle of Ottowa ? Sorry but that’s fucking tragic. 

It is, but It definitely happens here.

They've taken their hate with them and organised wee 'cells' that they refer to as 'supporters' clubs.

The ones in Bramalea (Ontario) also started with a single 'club' but 'emotion' dictated that they go their separate ways. 

7 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

They've taken their hate with them and organised wee 'cells' that they refer to as 'supporters' clubs.

The ones in Bramalea (Ontario) also started with a single 'club' but 'emotion' dictated that they go their separate ways. 

What a load of shyte.. Get your facts un order.  So my supporters club is a wee "hate" cell. I have been to the Bramalea Celtic Club, it is a great club, full of proper supporters, not the.wee hate cells you so politely pointed out..Maybe thats how the 'rangers' operate, but not the Celtic Clubs I have been to. Like I said, get your facts right....

21 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Both are insular.

Used to go to both regulary for Aberdeen games (pre 'RedTV') but preferred the Rangers Club for the dogs abuse/banter.

(The Celtic Club were definitely more welcoming to visitors.)

Went to the London (ontario) rangers club last year to watch Celtic v Sevco. My son was in a Basketball tourny. Treated like shite. Celtic scored and I jumped up and was told to shut the fuck up by 3 or 4 huns. Halftime I was told for my own safety, by the owner, I should leave. Did I fuck. I stayed the full 90 minutes. Walked out after the match smiling ear to ear. Kept my mouth shut, as I was on my own.. Not a great experience. 

11 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Why would/should they have a single club? That's just ridiculous 

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Went to the London (ontario) rangers club last year to watch Celtic v Sevco. My son was in a Basketball tourny. Treated like shite. Celtic scored and I jumped up and was told to shut the fuck up by 3 or 4 huns. Halftime I was told for my own safety, by the owner, I should leave. Did I fuck. I stayed the full 90 minutes. Walked out after the match smiling ear to ear. Kept my mouth shut, as I was on my own.. Not a great experience. 

Fuck sitting watching a Celtic game with a bunch of huns. You seem a bit strange.

My old boy died when I was very young and my mum wasn't into football in the slightest.  Luckily, there was a young family next door and the father (who owned a very nice Chinese restaurant on Union St) was Dons daft. His daughter wasn't interested in going to games so he used to take me. I was always a Dons fan, having been born and brought up in Aberdeen, but thanks to my neighbour I started going to games when I was around 8.  It was early 80's and it couldn't really have been a better time to start going to games!  We always bought Mars Bars when arriving at the ground but could only eat them when the Dons scored.  I never went home hungry. I used to wonder why we went to games in a different car almost every Saturday - ranging from massive BMW's to wee Honda Civics.  Turns out my neighbour had a seat in the local Chinese gambling syndicate on a Friday night and things used to get quite serious!

My neighbour died around 10 years ago but was always an absolutely top bloke. I still have a Mars Bar at the games.  Unfortunately, I've had a few melt in my pocket recently!

Edited by SMcoolJ

5 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Fuck sitting watching a Celtic game with a bunch of huns. You seem a bit strange.

Strange?? No..If you read my post..My son was is a basketball tournament in London, Ontario the same weekend Celtic played the huns..The london Sevco supporters club was the only pub that had the match in. So I put in my Celtic top and I went. I would never sit with a bunch if huns, but I wanted to see the match as I am a die hard Celtic man. Did not give a fuck were is was in, just wanted to see my Celtic pump them again, which we did.😊. Not strange at all fella....

6 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Why would/should they have a single club? That's just ridiculous 

Scots tend to find Scots when they first emigrate.

Legions, Burns Nights, White Heather Clubs, dances/social nights, etc.

They had to just go with what establishments there was at the time until they became more settled and were able to organise their own clubs.

9 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

What a load of shyte.. Get your facts un order.  So my supporters club is a wee "hate" cell. 

34 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

If you read my post..

OK...

On 1/27/2018 at 8:09 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

We fuckin hated each other and went to our own local. Still fuckin hate them.😊