How long have you supported your club? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How long have you supported your club?

I Love Celtic. Have supported my club since the day I was born, and will till the day I die. So question. How long have you supported your local club?  Reason for question, is I live in Canada and their are a lot if glory hunters living here. Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Barca, etc.. Does my tits in when I hear folk going on about their great club and the price tag is still on the back of their jersey.. 

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Where were you born and raised out of interest Ramy?

Was born in Glasgow, moved here as a boy. Ma Dad was a lifelong Celtic supporter, went to every match. My whole family in Scotland support Celtic. I was brought up Celtic and Scotland.. Hope that answers your question..

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Was born in Glasgow, moved here as a boy. Ma Dad was a lifelong Celtic supporter, went to every match. My whole family in Scotland support Celtic. I was brought up Celtic and Scotland.. Hope that answers your question..

It does. Thanks. :ok:

First match I ever went to was Rangers v Motherwell . 10th February 1973. I was nine at the time so I would say I have actively supported Rangers for nearly 45 years. In case anyone asks I was born in Govan and moved away in 85 but continue to travel up to the games.

Edited by EddardStark

Probably more endured than supported, but I remember taking an interest in Huddersfield Town around the late 60s - probably my earliest memory is reading a newspaper special about our 1969-70 promotion.

I went to my first game in 1972, & was well & truly hooked over the next few years - by which time we'd dropped 3 divisions. I remember my disinterested mum gave me a right going over for supporting Germans over a Yorkshire team (Bayern Munich v. Leeds European Cup Final).

I reckon I've wasted tens of thousands down the years on season tickets, away trips (131 different grounds & counting; 78 of the current 92 English grounds) & assorted crap. Plus a tattoo - terrier logo, banner & our famous three stars :D

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

25 years of going home and away for me. First season ticket was the year we played at Hampden 94/5.

Not really one for saying I supported them since the day I was born, cos I obviously didn't. 

I was at Hampden 3 times that season for Killie games against you lot. Were heated affairs. Two league games and Quarter Final of the Scottish (when the floodlights went out).

Drew first game 1-1 (Killie fan attacked the Rod Stewart impersonator that was goading us!), lost the second 2-1 to a very dodgy PVH dive and lost the Scottish Cup game 1-0.

Here's the pen....check the Killie support.....

21 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Went to my first game in 88, first away game in 89 and have been a season ticket holder for over 25 years.

Probably missed about a dozen games this millennium home or away. It's just what I do on a Saturday.

Pretty similar to this for when I started.  My first home game was 1989 and my first away game was to the end of the same season in 1990.

Got my first season ticket in 1993 when we got promoted to the Premier league and held it until 2010 or thereabouts.  Between 2010 and 2017 I could probably count the number of games I went to on the average Fife families fingers, 55 or thereabouts?  Took up my season ticket again this season and take my eldest daughter along with me now, with my younger wanting to start coming next season.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I was at Hampden 3 times that season for Killie games against you lot. Were heated affairs. Two league games and Quarter Final of the Scottish (when the floodlights went out).

Drew first game 1-1 (Killie fan attacked the Rod Stewart impersonator that was goading us!), lost the second 2-1 to a very dodgy PVH dive and lost the Scottish Cup game 1-0.

Here's the pen....check the Killie support.....

Haha I remember the Rod Stewart impersonater. Whipped out a Celtic scarf if I remember right.

First game at Muirton when I was 3 years old I believe. My first memory that sticks in my mind though was Doug Barron’s testimonial against the star studded Rangers side which was starting to contain the English internationals by then. The Rangers player who I remember that game for some reason was Stuart Munro. 

Aberdeen

Can remember my grandad taking me to a couple of games under Willie Miller and Roy Aitken.

My dad got us a half season ticket when I was 12 when we sacked Aitken and brought in Alex Miller (daft bugger thought Alex Miller was a top manager). My dad worked offshore so either him or my grandad would take me.

Renewed our tickets the following season and bought one for my younger brother who up till that point supported Celtic but changed teams as he felt left out.

Scrapped out season tickets when Skovdahl got the job as juvenile football got changed from a Sunday to a Saturday at that age group so couldn't make it.

Stopped playing football at 17 as I hated most of the guys I was playing with. Got a season ticket with my mates and had one ever since.

Have supported the Clyde since my Da took me to Shawfield mid seventies & by f**k it's been a labour of love ever since, my old man was a big Rangers fan & my Mum was from a big Celtic family from the Gorbals, so to avoid any early divorce procedures my old man took me to see our local (closest team) 

Thank f**k it wasn't Queens Park :lol: