RAH Ward 15 closure - Page 2 - Politics - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

RAH Ward 15 closure

RenfrewBlue

1 hour ago, Scunnered said:

You appear to be pointing to the health board vote... I'm assuming you're still trying to display that it wasn't an SNP decision. The final decision lay with Robison, the health board also voted to move elderly services in Glasgow on the same day, Robison rejected their vote... Cos it was her final decision.

Hope this helps Chick! :)

Spot on Scunnered. Robison had the final say. And as you point out she declined one of the other recommendations from the panel. 

This is a major SNP own goal in area they have only just got control of. 

Makes we wonder why local activists should bother helping campaign when the party don't seem to care. 

I'm at the stage where i really and truly believe that the SNP should fvcking chuck it

The people of Scotland deserve to have fvck all and be ruled by somewhere else that never puts their interests first

We deserve to have our resources sucked dry and given a pittence of it back with which to try and run our public services

It's a thankless task

They should have chucked it after the No vote because this was always going to happen

They have another chance with Brexit - just call a referendum then resign then let the country rot when it's governed by Unionists

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm at the stage where i really and truly believe that the SNP should fvcking chuck it

The people of Scotland deserve to have fvck all and be ruled by somewhere else that never puts their interests first

We deserve to have our resources sucked dry and given a pittence of it back with which to try and run our public services

It's a thankless task

They should have chucked it after the No vote because this was always going to happen

They have another chance with Brexit - just call a referendum then resign then let the country rot when it's governed by Unionists

THROW+TOYS+FROM+PRAM.jpg

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's a thankless task

Chill ally, renfrews upset at a local level, rightly or wrongly The government will never please everyone, its just impossible,, the main thing is we all head towards the same goal of independence, its a long game and a up hill struggle against the hostile media.Its somtimes hard not to get overly onvolved in it, sometimes better to take a step back for a while or it does get the better of you. A referendum will be called 2020 and my guess is that the SNP will make all the unpopular decisions just now so that time heals any upset caused,, its a long game so don't burn yourself out 

RB/ Ally, I doubt I am going to be popular but I think both of you are being a tad melodramatic.

RB, I think you are a good balanced poster, and your social conscience is indisputable,  from  what I have read on here you put your time and effort where your mouth is, so I think your concerns should not be dismissed. But if you are making sweeping statements about children dying you need to provide some examples of why this could happen .

Do you have any links to information gathered by the campaign that were opposing the closure ?  Saying that a child will die if they need to travel to Edinburgh isnt completely true. Do you have any costings that show that it would be possible to keep the RAH ward open ? I know there is no price too high to pay to save a childs life but everyone  is looking for money. Cancer victims/ Alzheimers/ Mental Health to name a few. 

I would be very interested if you could provide any kind of information to support your concerns. You may feel the monent has gone but things can be reveresed. 

Ally, it is possible for the SNP to make a wrong decison. I have no idea if they have on this,  as has been mentioned they seem to have taken the ‘experts’  decision, but experts can get it wrong too.  Throwing the rattles out the pram as PIAK demonstrated does not really help. 

8 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ally, it is possible for the SNP to make a wrong decison. I have no idea if they have on this,  as has been mentioned they seem to have taken the ‘experts’  decision, but experts can get it wrong too.  Throwing the rattles out the pram as PIAK demonstrated does not really help. 

With policy of course they can

All policies made by any Government are only as good as the test of time

However any Scottish Government, regardless of whether it's the SNP or not, is trying to "run" the country with one arm tied behind it's back with continued cuts to our money that we get back from Westminster

My "throwing the rattles out the pram" was not directed to anyone on here - more to do with the absolute shite i have witnessed on twitter trying to do some of my own research into the decision.

19 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's a thankless task

A well reasoned and proportionate response to someone disagreeing with an SNP decision to "centralise" pediatric care... :lol: 

On 21/01/2018 at 7:46 PM, Ally Bongo said:

With policy of course they can

All policies made by any Government are only as good as the test of time

However any Scottish Government, regardless of whether it's the SNP or not, is trying to "run" the country with one arm tied behind it's back with continued cuts to our money that we get back from Westminster

My "throwing the rattles out the pram" was not directed to anyone on here - more to do with the absolute shite i have witnessed on twitter trying to do some of my own research into the decision.

The "its all Westminsters fault" excuse is wearing out. The SNP have been in power for a long time now and their record just isn't good enough. 

The NHS and schools are not performing as they should be and the budget cuts are to blame here. 

I have helped campaign to get Derek McKay elected but when he was head of Renfrewshire council I helped campaign against one of the mental cost cutting suggestions for schools. Every single decision that's made needs to be critically assessed as they're not perfect. 

On 21/01/2018 at 7:29 PM, TDYER63 said:

RB/ Ally, I doubt I am going to be popular but I think both of you are being a tad melodramatic.

RB, I think you are a good balanced poster, and your social conscience is indisputable,  from  what I have read on here you put your time and effort where your mouth is, so I think your concerns should not be dismissed. But if you are making sweeping statements about children dying you need to provide some examples of why this could happen .

Do you have any links to information gathered by the campaign that were opposing the closure ?  Saying that a child will die if they need to travel to Edinburgh isnt completely true. Do you have any costings that show that it would be possible to keep the RAH ward open ? I know there is no price too high to pay to save a childs life but everyone  is looking for money. Cancer victims/ Alzheimers/ Mental Health to name a few. 

I would be very interested if you could provide any kind of information to support your concerns. You may feel the monent has gone but things can be reveresed. 

You make a fair point. I don't have any links as a lot of my reading has been from paper rather than electronic. 

I spoke to the mother of a child that has severe problems cerebral palsy. They've been ill with some of the flu like bugs that are kicking about. In itself this isn't too bad but it has been restricting their airway and has required hospitalisation on several occasions. Time is if the essence to treat them and clear their airway. On one occasion the ambulance crew couldn't do it and only because they were close to the hospital was the child saved. If they'd had to go to Edinburgh then they would have died. 

It's not melodramatic, just bald fact. The woman was crying while telling her story but she wasn't giving in. The thought that her child might die because she few quid needs saved really gnaws at me. 

I became a foster carer to help kids. This is a natural extension for me. 

8 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The "its all Westminsters fault" excuse is wearing out. The SNP have been in power for a long time now and their record just isn't good enough. 

The NHS and schools are not performing as they should be and the budget cuts are to blame here. 

I have helped campaign to get Derek McKay elected but when he was head of Renfrewshire council I helped campaign against one of the mental cost cutting suggestions for schools. Every single decision that's made needs to be critically assessed as they're not perfect. 

Its not all Westminster’s fault but its part of the ptoblem, you must see that? You must also must see the contrast between wales NHS(labour) england NHS(tory) and scottish NHS(SNP) with scotlands nhs consistently outperforming the rest, and when it comes to protecting the vulnerable the SNP although not perfect do a good job with what they have. Whats the alternative?       

8 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Its not all Westminster’s fault but its part of the ptoblem, you must see that? You must also must see the contrast between wales NHS(labour) england NHS(tory) and scottish NHS(SNP) with scotlands nhs consistently outperforming the rest, and when it comes to protecting the vulnerable the SNP although not perfect do a good job with what they have. Whats the alternative?       

I do understand how it works but you also have to understand that the normal voter probably doesn't quite get it. 

They see Westminster as an excuse especially as the MSM keep pointing out that it is. Facts need not apply. 

Also the A+E figures recently haven't helped. Then add in decisions like this that, whether they actually are or not, look like money over lives and its a total mess for the SNP. 

If we want to keep Independence on the agenda for anytime soon we need to try and make sure that things like this happen less often. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I do understand how it works but you also have to understand that the normal voter probably doesn't quite get it. 

They see Westminster as an excuse especially as the MSM keep pointing out that it is. Facts need not apply. 

Also the A+E figures recently haven't helped. Then add in decisions like this that, whether they actually are or not, look like money over lives and its a total mess for the SNP. 

If we want to keep Independence on the agenda for anytime soon we need to try and make sure that things like this happen less often. 

100% agree, as if the proposed closure weren't bad enough, the timing is dreadful!! right in the middle of the toughest spell for A&E, it was like the buisness rates changes being announced right before the council elections, it just would not have happened under salmond.I wish salmond would come back in some form maybe as an advisor of some kind, just to guide  the ship that little bit better. Alec is up to something, i have heard rumours that his house in strichen is away onto the market. 

For the record i hope the ward does not close for social and political reasons 

12 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The snp are definitely making progress its just gonna take time, the snp good storys dont stay on the MSM sites long and always contain a “BUT”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42777017

And then John Swinney gives the media a free pass on SNP Bad with his Edinburgh trams gaff !

I really think the SNP need new strategists and advisors

48 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

And then John Swinney gives the media a free pass on SNP Bad with his Edinburgh trams gaff !

I really think the SNP need new strategists and advisors

Not sure if that can be criticised TBH, everyone and their dog knows labour F###ed it up, and when the snp picked up the batton i dont think they had any other options than the path they went down. But you’re right there needs to be some sort of shuffle regarding advisors/strategists somthing is missing ATM 

20 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You make a fair point. I don't have any links as a lot of my reading has been from paper rather than electronic. 

I spoke to the mother of a child that has severe problems cerebral palsy. They've been ill with some of the flu like bugs that are kicking about. In itself this isn't too bad but it has been restricting their airway and has required hospitalisation on several occasions. Time is if the essence to treat them and clear their airway. On one occasion the ambulance crew couldn't do it and only because they were close to the hospital was the child saved. If they'd had to go to Edinburgh then they would have died. 

It's not melodramatic, just bald fact. The woman was crying while telling her story but she wasn't giving in. The thought that her child might die because she few quid needs saved really gnaws at me. 

I became a foster carer to help kids. This is a natural extension for me. 

An example is good and only someone with a heart of stone would not be concerned for this child and their parents. 

Would the new hospital not be able to deal with an emergency like this rather than have the child  ( or another like them)sent  to Edinburgh? Or would cases like this not still  be seen as emergency at the RAH , their A&E is still  open.  Or is it possible that cases have recently been sent to the RAH as they know it is there for the time being  but if it wasnt then there would need to be accommodative  measures in place at the new hospital ? I am just asking all these questions as I dont know what all the arguments from each side are. 

Do you know what numbers they are looking at to keep it open?  You mentioned a few quid ( I know you are not talking literally a frw quid but a few quid in the grand scheme ot things) , I have heard £69 mio mentioned , is this the figure the health board is trying to save in total, the RAH being part of that ?   

I am happy to question any Snp decisions . I joined the party after the referendum as a sort of solidarity,   not because I am massively interested in politics or an snp fanboy ( girl) . There are a few good people locally however like every party there are weaknesses , Snp are no different in that respect. 

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

100% agree, as if the proposed closure weren't bad enough, the timing is dreadful!! right in the middle of the toughest spell for A&E, it was like the buisness rates changes being announced right before the council elections, it just would not have happened under salmond.I wish salmond would come back in some form maybe as an advisor of some kind, just to guide  the ship that little bit better. Alec is up to something, i have heard rumours that his house in strichen is away onto the market. 

For the record i hope the ward does not close for social and political reasons 

Your point about the advisors/Salmond is spot on. 

The SNP just don't manage their media output, on the mainstream, properly. It's infuriating when they are very good at social media. 

Should point out that the recent cover story of a mum and her son with Cerebral Palsy are not the ones I was talking about, although I do know this wee boy too. 

Let's just say that she isn't his main carer and when he has to go to hospital she isn't the one taking him. 

The article did get me thinking though as there's a quote in it saying that ward 15 had to close as it wasn't up to scratch and now with the new hospital the kids can get the best care. If that's the reason then why wasn't it shut years ago as Yorkhill had the best care standards etc, etc.?

Basically they're assuming that we can't think for ourselves. Utter nonsense and shows that the decision was solely on financial grounds. 

Statement by Shona Robison

https://www.scottishparliament.tv/meeting/ministerial-statement-decisions-on-major-service-change-proposals-in-glasgow-and-clyde-january-23-2018?clip_start=14:26:02&clip_end=15:02:50

I also believe that the wee yin was a bit upset at the end of FMQ mainly due to being called a liar by Willie Rennie