Snow - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That's a whiteout in the Weeg...

I’m not trying to do that wanky “That’s fuck all compared to where I am” thing. I would say that when I lived in Scotland. Year after year the public have become a bunch of fucking morons when it snows a dusting. All the news 24/7 talking about how gritters are working overtime. Well, so fucking what it’s bloody Winter! 

Edited by Ormond

20 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I’m not trying to do that wanky “That’s fuck all compared to where I am” thing. I would say that when I lived in Scotland. Year after year the public have become a bunch of fucking morons when it snows a dusting. All the news 24/7 talking about how gritters are working overtime. Well, so fucking what it’s bloody Winter! 

Agreed but it's still a bit of a novelty, the last few winters here have been relatively snow free. It's getting on for 10 years since we had such a snowy month...

Edited by Toepoke

Just now, Toepoke said:

Agreed but it's still a bit of a novelty, the last few winters here have been relatively snow free.

Which is nice if it’s enjoyed. It’s the cunts who go into panic mode when flakes fall a wee bit.

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Which is nice if it’s enjoyed. It’s the cunts who go into panic mode when flakes fall a wee bit.

According to this report, parts of M74 closed, drivers are stranded and mountain rescue teams sent in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42712588

but it's hard to tell how bad it is and how much is precautionary

12 hours ago, Ormond said:

:ok:

We get heavy snow so infrequently these days that folk have forgotten (or never learnt) how to drive in it. When roads get blocked it's usually not the snow that's blocking them, but cars with drivers who don't know how to drive in a wee bit of snow.

And, as you say,  the media coverage is just fukin mental.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

:ok:

We get heavy snow so infrequently these days that folk have forgotten (or never learnt) how to drive in it. When roads get blocked it's usually not the snow that's blocking them, but cars with drivers who don't know how to drive in a wee bit of snow.

And, as you say,  the media coverage is just fukin mental.

I couldnt get to sleep last night as someone was stuck on the road outside my house. There was no deep snow , just some ice and slush,  and they were revving the engine constantly , and going nowhere.

Fookin 45 mins it went on, it felt like I was at the dentist with the drilling noise.  It eventually went quiet , then, just  as I thought they had moved on, it started again.   My house is on a road with only the slightest of gradients ,  I have no idea why they couldnt get up the small incline. 

Unless of course it was Alan taking the piss . 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I couldnt get to sleep last night as someone was stuck on the road outside my house. There was no deep snow , just some ice and slush,  and they were revving the engine constantly , and going nowhere.

Fookin 45 mins it went on, it felt like I was at the dentist with the drilling noise.  It eventually went quiet , then, just  as I thought they had moved on, it started again.   My house is on a road with only the slightest of gradients ,  I have no idea why they couldnt get up the small incline. 

Unless of course it was Alan taking the piss . 

You should have made good use of those sharp knives and big hole.

It's a bit odd, the reactions. Some people complain the reaction is over the top, the country can't handle a bit of snow, others say the problem is naive drivers not heeding the warnings, others say the problem is all the fuss and the warnings themselves (amber alerts, named storms, etc) which we never used to need, which go to show the country can't handle a bit of snow....  No doubt, if someone was harmed (left for dead in a snowbound vehicle) then once again it would be the authorities to blame for not taking the snow seriously enough. Some people complain the BBC (national news) don't even mention the snow, others complain the BBC are burying other news under the snow...

Anyway, enough moaning about other people moaning,  here's a nice pic of the legendary Lecht (A939) from Visit Scotland

DTu_vn4W0AY6Svl.jpg

9 minutes ago, exile said:

It's a bit odd, the reactions. Some people complain the reaction is over the top, the country can't handle a bit of snow, others say the problem is naive drivers not heeding the warnings, others say the problem is all the fuss and the warnings themselves (amber alerts, named storms, etc) which we never used to need, which go to show the country can't handle a bit of snow....  No doubt, if someone was harmed (left for dead in a snowbound vehicle) then once again it would be the authorities to blame for not taking the snow seriously enough. Some people complain the BBC (national news) don't even mention the snow, others complain the BBC are burying other news under the snow...

Anyway, enough moaning about other people moaning,  here's a nice pic of the legendary Lecht (A939) from Visit Scotland

DTu_vn4W0AY6Svl.jpg

Does anyone else see an angry bird when they look at that ?

And I dont mean me. 

8 hours ago, Bannannan said:

Winter tyres make a big difference ,but who buys them for one week every year.?In Germany etc come October it's the law.

It isn’t the law in Germany. It is however the law if it is winter conditions ie icy/snowy.

This country is an absolute joke. Lass I worked with today who live next to where I worked asked if I was “risking the Conditions to come into work”....there was all of 3 inches fell. Fuck me it’s not difficult to drive in that and especially not on a main road when the last snow fall was about 6 hours prior.

The M74 thing was ridiculous - you get snow on it every year - it's pretty wet stuff this year as well - My father was a truck driver in the 70's and 80's and there were always a couple of gritters stationed on the high parts to deal with it, very rarely would it get shut for any length of time  - suspect for whatever reason they weren't on station early enough this time.

Part of the problem I feel is the trend towards all cars - even wee Kia hatchbacks and the likes having wheels the size of dustbin lids with low profile tyres on them - they can barely grip in the wet never mind snow.

Saw a Polis BMW x5 stuck in snow back in 2009 or 10 - had all four wheels spinning as they had stupid tyres on it.

Was driving back up the A737 Wed night where it goes to dual carriageway at Johnstone - it had fairly deep slush all the way to the airport - I'm in a landrover with Toyo AT tyres - so toddling along just fine - overtake a Nissan micra.... well does he not leather it as hard as he can as he didn't like being passed - must've been doing 60 and wobbling all over the road when he went by - wheels on it like Oor Wullies Cartie.... I just backed off and was glad when he turned off.

Tonight I get home to the main BBC news declaring Amber warnings for Glasgow - outside my window in the West End - the roads.... damp, barely any snow at all (Kilbirnie up to Beith was getting a good covering about 5pm though) - totall over reaction - Thurs East Ayrshire shut most of the schools, because they thought there "might" be snow (bugger all).

I hope we really do get a good belt of deep "dry" snow that lasts for a bit - make the roads quieter if nothing else :P

Wed and Thurs night I actually got home quicker than usual from work, I'm assuming due to the number of folk who didn't go out in their cars.

The authorities can't win with this. They say don't travel and folk travel anyway and then complain when their route isn't snow free. Check out social media from the last week. Folk moaning that the B123 or the moor road needs gritted. The gritters were flat out covering the main routes!

As mentioned above a lot of crap drivers don't help and the modern trend to have 19" wheels with big fat summer tyres something like a 1.2 Corsa results in cars getting stuck and blocking the roads.

This cycle happens every 5 years or so. We get some snow, the country grinds to a halt. Everybody complains "something must be done about this", we then have a few snow free winters and everybody forgets about. Rinse and repeat.

I mentioned in another post that the road my house lives on is on a small incline. The snow we had between Xmas and New Year was much worse than this current dump and when it is thick like that I need to reverse out the drive, drive to the bottom of the road and get some traction to get back up the hill .

Well, i was sitting at the bottom of the hill and a food delivery van was stuck on the hill , so I just had to sit there as no -one could get by him. A queue started building up behind me and the guy in the car behind tried to overtake me . Fcks sake there was a big van blocking the entire road ahead, the cars on the way down were stuck  too as they couldnt get by the van , and this guy was so impatient he tried to overtake me whilst i was in a stationery position. 

I think people's brains freeze as well as the roads . 

Edited by TDYER63
Spelling