Iconic images - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

10 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

GD6792457.jpg

233FA58600000578-2838319-image-31_141627

article-2392193-1B37804D000005DC-296_634

scotland-fans-break-up-the-wembley-goalp

57DC2AF8-AC03-49F9-8BF9-9EAE638566E4.jpg

John%20Collins%201

nachonovofabriziogiovannozzi460.jpg?w=70

The picture of John Collins reminds me of the opening game in 98.

I was in London on a training course and had to watch the game in a pub with a pile of Englishmen and a Moroccan. 

Took some stick after the early Brazil goal but when we got the penalty and I saw it was Collins taking it I started celebrating before he even kicked it. 

In the line ups before the game, when the camera was panning along during the anthem, the bold John Collins gave the viewers a massive confident wink. 

There was no way he was going to miss. 

By the of the game the English lads were gutted that we hadn't got the draw. 

Also at some point in the 90s Rangers played Dortmund in the CL at Ibrox and it ended 2-2. We'd scored first then conceded 2 and Goughie scored a late equaliser. I was on holiday in Corfu and hadn't realised it was a mostly German pub. The locals had enthusiastically celebrated their teams goals after my early minor  cheer for 1-0. So when we got  the final equaliser I had a major cheering session including turning to face the Dortmund supporters.. 

Needless to say a quick exit at full time was required. 😀 

On 17/01/2018 at 1:48 AM, Ally Bongo said:

Spain 82 and Italia 90 were the last of World Cup Finals when World Cup Finals were really good and iconic IMO

As an aside - i knew someone who had a ton of cash on Matthaus for first goal in the 90 final v Argentina solely because he took Germany's penalties

I can only assume he shat it in the final and let Brehme take it

You can imagine the rage

Have to disagree. '86 World Cup was far, far better than '90. Seem to remember loads of boring, low scoring games where teams seemed to be hanging on for penalties. The final summed up the tournament, terrible game.

'86 had France-Brazil quarter final, Belgium beating Russia 4-3 with Belanov acoring a hat trick and still being in losing side, Maradona's goals, great final,etc. 

Only vaguely remember '82, thought '98 was good but '86 was the best WC i've seen.

58 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

. '86 World Cup was far, far better than '90. Seem to remember loads of boring, low scoring games where teams seemed to be hanging on for penalties. The final summed up the tournament, terrible game.

That's how I remember. I thought 2006 was

I tend to remember World Cups first for how Scotland did, though. So 1986 was disappointing from that point of view. At least we had wins (and iconic moments) in those cases.

This is a hard one there are that many. As a boy the images that stick out are Tostao (I am not sure if the spelling is correct ) of Brazil sitting on the ball in the middle of the pitch. I just thought how good was he that he would do something like that. Another was watching Bradford City with my pals we were right at the front and during a stoppage in play a player ran over and tapped a fag of a guy stood behind us and just puffed away until play began again. My abiding memories of Scotland are Billy Bremners missed chance against Brazil. As a nieve 13 year old I thought we were going to win the tournament. Another has nothing to do with a game. for the 74 world cup a tv rental shop whom I can't remember the name had life size cardboard cutouts of players one of whom was Eddie Gray my favorite player at the time. And after the tournament my dad scrounged it and I had it stood up in the corner of my bedroom.

Ian

On 2018-01-16 at 6:48 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Spain 82 and Italia 90 were the last of World Cup Finals when World Cup Finals were really good and iconic IMO

As an aside - i knew someone who had a ton of cash on Matthaus for first goal in the 90 final v Argentina solely because he took Germany's penalties

I can only assume he shat it in the final and let Brehme take it

You can imagine the rage

82 for sure , and maybe 86

but have to disagree on 90 ; horrible world cup , lots of low scoring matches 1–1s etc

ireland get to the 1/4 finals without actually winning a game

Argentina get to the final after losing opening game to a comedy act ; who provided the only real excitement of the tournament-if they could only defend

we were rotten ; that night in turin v brazil was real downer ; the post match party never materialized, wandered about suburbs of turin in pissing rain in shorts and t shirt before overnight coach trip thru alps back to france ( did i mention the skylight was jammed open )

oh and the final was a non event