Stuart Cosgrove - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stuart Cosgrove

The names mentioned Cosgrove, English, Spiers are the best we currently have commenting on the scottish game. There's a few others who occasionally appear on the BBC who I could add to that. Not only do they have valid views, they are able to put their point across in an articulate manner and if required have a constructive argument.

I don't always agree with what they are saying but I think they are the best we have.

Try other sources - radio clyde, the record/sun journalists, talk sport, etc and it's just amateur hour.

6 hours ago, dandydunn said:

As I said, I heard little of it, but if you’re going to use stats in an arguement, you can’t throw toys out of the pram when someone else uses them against you and say they’re irrelevant. 

Willie Miller "stat" included friendlies and games when O'Neil had only just took over and when he experimented. He had completely failed to contextualise his "stat". Hence why he ended up sounding like an idiot. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Willie Miller "stat" included friendlies and games when O'Neil had only just took over and when he experimented. He had completely failed to contextualise his "stat". Hence why he ended up sounding like an idiot. 

So we will just count his recent stats then?

Can’t believe we sacked Strachan then, that’s like saying since we last played England at Wembley, we haven’t lost once to them, sounds impressive to someone not in the know, but doesn’t tell much of a story. 

Miller was discussing his overall time in charge, English was talking about 2 qualifying campaigns. 

Its a ridiculous arguement, he has a 34% win rate (I think they said) and everyone is hailing him as some sort of saviour. 

If we get him, there will be a transitional period, will we just forget about all of that until we qualify for something?

54 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Can’t believe we sacked Strachan then, that’s like saying since we last played England at Wembley, we haven’t lost once to them, sounds impressive to someone not in the know, but doesn’t tell much of a story. 

Miller was discussing his overall time in charge, English was talking about 2 qualifying campaigns. 

Its a ridiculous arguement, he has a 34% win rate (I think they said) and everyone is hailing him as some sort of saviour. 

If we get him, there will be a transitional period, will we just forget about all of that until we qualify for something?

Yeah, actually,  I'm happy to only look at qualification and tournament matches. I don't give a shit if he lost a friendly to Cyprus in 2013 TBH. Willie Miller was completely unable to see that to mean anything, stats have to be contextualised. 

Don't think anyone is hailing him as a saviour. Just someone who's achieved what Scotland haven't for 20 years, with poorer players than we have available to us. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, actually,  I'm happy to only look at qualification and tournament matches. I don't give a shit if he lost a friendly to Cyprus in 2013 TBH. Willie Miller was completely unable to see that to mean anything, stats have to be contextualised. 

Don't think anyone is hailing him as a saviour. Just someone who's achieved what Scotland haven't for 20 years, with poorer players than we have available to us. 

Debatable

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Who is hailing him as some kind of saviour? Certainly not anyone in the discussion yesterday (most of which you didn't listen to). The stats bit you focus on was a tiny bit of it. The main thrust of it was English being critical of how Regan and the SFA were handling the process of identifying, approaching and appointing Strachan's successor. Not least their publicly identifying him as their target before any approach or contact had been made, and their apparent lack of a Plan B if he knocks them back; Young and Miller said the SFA were handling it fine, would have a short list, and a Plan B. Young and Miller wanted to talk about Strachan and how it had been a mistake to get rid if him. English didn't particularly 'big-up' O'Neill, he said Strachan had been given two chances and had failed, whereas O'Neill had a better record. That's where the stats bit came in. Like Parkie, I'm happy to look at his competitive record, particularly when you consider the quality of player he had at his disposal. He's no miracle worker, despite your claim to the contrary noone is saying he is. But he appears to be within our budget, potentially available and capable of taking a squad of players like we have (or even worse) to a finals. Like English I'd like Regan to get on with it and see if we can get him or not. Miller and Young felt it more important to chutney on about whether or not Strachan should still be in the job. Miller seemed surprised that someone was challenging his words of wisdom.

Edited by Pool Q

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, Ormond said:

Grew up on the street next to me. Guid cunt. :ok:

Met him a couple of years back at one of his book launches (Detroit 67) and he was brand new. Talked football for a while and he was telling stories about St Johnstone/Killie games over the years.

Really clever guy. Told a funny story about James Brown causing him to miss the Scotland-England game in 89.

23 hours ago, macy37 said:

I’ll repeat for the delusional cunts on here....Tom English is a cunt.

I think Tom English is decent.Maybe Tom English thinks your a cunt.

52 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Tom English talks a lot of sense and he seems to have been on top of the Michael ONeill story  from the start .

He is also right about O'Neill being a top international manager, anyone who can qualify for the Euros with Kyle Lafferty as your main striker gets my.vote .

I have to admit, until seeing Lafferty recently at Pittodrie, I hadn't realised just quite how p1sh he is.....

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

I have to admit, until seeing Lafferty recently at Pittodrie, I hadn't realised just quite how p1sh he is.....

I would be quite happy to have him in our squad. I wonder if we will ever again see a Scotland player get 20 international goals.

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I like him, plus he's brining his kids up as Killie fans.

Good enough for me.

Anybody who brings up bairns to follow their local side is a good cunt. :ok:

Unless you’re a sparkie fae Aberdeen. They’re just acceptable cunts. :whistling:

Edited by Ormond

Cosgrove is an excellent broadcaster, very knowledgeable, funny, and sound.

English is our best sports journalist by a country mile.

Thompson, Stewart and Bonner are all not bad too.

Even just writing the names of Willie Miller, Keith Jackson, Chick Young, Kris Boyd :lol: looks ridiculous in attempting to compare them to the rest as pundits/journalists.

54 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Cosgrove is an excellent broadcaster, very knowledgeable, funny, and sound.

English is our best sports journalist by a country mile.

Thompson, Stewart and Bonner are all not bad too.

Even just writing the names of Willie Miller, Keith Jackson, Chick Young, Kris Boyd :lol: looks ridiculous in attempting to compare them to the rest as pundits/journalists.

Agree with most of this but Paddy Bonner? 😀 

He's every bit as bad as Derek Johnstone.