Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 12/01/2018 at 7:11 PM, Barney Rubble said:

The village of Tarbolton in Ayrshire is idyllic. Close to an airport, with high quality education available at Ayr Academy and Wellington, and beautiful countryside five minutes away in any direction. The locals are also highly welcoming, if a little difficult to understand.

In comparison, Clarkston/Whitecraigs are antiseptic ghettoes.

I recently moved to Clarkston and as much as I enjoy it and how easy it is to get into town and Pollokshaws Road for a beer, me and the missus were both recently bemoaning the lack of diversity which is so profound here compared to other places we have lived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Pffft.... Principal. :rolleyes:

 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Bet you dont have a problem with Victoria...

Is she the one that did dallas? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mox said:

I recently moved to Clarkston and as much as I enjoy it and how easy it is to get into town and Pollokshaws Road for a beer, me and the missus were both recently bemoaning the lack of diversity which is so profound here compared to other places we have lived.

People don't move to East Ren for anything but the schools.

Diversity? Did you live in London? Not much in Glasgow or rest of Scotland excluding Govanhill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alan said:

People don't move to East Ren for anything but the schools.

Diversity? Did you live in London? Not much in Glasgow or rest of Scotland excluding Govanhill.

Do you think diversity is a good or a bad thing, Alan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 11:29 AM, dandydunn said:

The tandoori is decent too :ok:

The echt show is to be avoided for outsiders though, it always ends in a battle royal :lol:

I played for Echt for 8 years and was still considered an outsider at this.  Scary stuff unless you knew a local or 6!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aaid said:

Do you think diversity is a good or a bad thing, Alan?

Oh I see what you're trying to do you scamp.  Good question.  It is good but I'd argue West of Scotland is not diverse.  Most people look the same and have same background.  Yes you have more difference in past 20 years but its stil not that different.  

The only place I'd argue has real diversity in UK is London which is fantastic, young, affordable up to the late 1990's and diverse.  Then you have Maidenhead which is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alan said:

Oh I see what you're trying to do you scamp.  Good question.  It is good but I'd argue West of Scotland is not diverse.  Most people look the same and have same background.  Yes you have more difference in past 20 years but its stil not that different.  

The only place I'd argue has real diversity in UK is London which is fantastic, young, affordable up to the late 1990's and diverse.  Then you have Maidenhead which is not.

You definetely wont find diversity in Bridge of Weir and Houston however I would disagree that the West of Scotland is not diverse. 

I help kids with their reading at a primary school in Glasgow once a week in my lunch hour,  there are over 100 different languages spoken by the kids whose family do not class English as their first language. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Alan said:

Oh I see what you're trying to do you scamp.  Good question.  It is good but I'd argue West of Scotland is not diverse.  Most people look the same and have same background.  Yes you have more difference in past 20 years but its stil not that different.  

The only place I'd argue has real diversity in UK is London which is fantastic, young, affordable up to the late 1990's and diverse.  Then you have Maidenhead which is not.

Of course it all depends on what you define as diverse.  It's probably not a good idea to use London as any kind of benchmark - its a World city and as such will attract many different cultures and ethnicities for all sorts of reasons.  In fact I read somewhere that London is now the "most diverse" city in the world - whatever that means - having recently overtaken New York.

If you want to look at headline numbers then from the 2011 census

  • UK overall - White 87%, Mixed 2%, Indian 2.5%, Pakistani 1.9%,  Bangladeshi 0.7%; Chinese 0.7%, Other Asian 1.4% Black 3%; other 0.8%
  • Scotland - White 96%, Mixed 0.4%, Indian 0.6%, Pakistani 0.9%, Chinese 0.6%, Other Asian 0.4%, Black 0.7%, other 0.4%

And since you're interested Maidenhead is slightly "more diverse" than the UK average and certainly more diverse than Glasgow.

Given that you are such a fan of diversity - would you support the devolution of immigration powers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

back on topic what about the Ayrshire Rivera Doonfoot, Alloway, Ayr, Prestwick, Monkton, Troon Barassie, Loans, and Dundonald  all close to railway and nearby to Glasgow Prestwick International airport we have a milder winter and way much less snow

Edited by FuNsTeR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Barney Rubble said:

The village of Tarbolton in Ayrshire is idyllic. Close to an airport, with high quality education available at Ayr Academy and Wellington, and beautiful countryside five minutes away in any direction. The locals are also highly welcoming, if a little difficult to understand.

In comparison, Clarkston/Whitecraigs are antiseptic ghettoes.

Kris Boyd's manor haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 7:11 PM, Barney Rubble said:

 antiseptic ghettoes.

What does this mean? You're literally (according to google) the only person to pair these two words in modern history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, Alan said:

People don't move to East Ren for anything but the schools.

Diversity? Did you live in London? Not much in Glasgow or rest of Scotland excluding Govanhill.

I live in Shawlands and plenty of diversity there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×