If moving to Scotland.... - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 12/01/2018 at 7:11 PM, Barney Rubble said:

The village of Tarbolton in Ayrshire is idyllic. Close to an airport, with high quality education available at Ayr Academy and Wellington, and beautiful countryside five minutes away in any direction. The locals are also highly welcoming, if a little difficult to understand.

In comparison, Clarkston/Whitecraigs are antiseptic ghettoes.

I recently moved to Clarkston and as much as I enjoy it and how easy it is to get into town and Pollokshaws Road for a beer, me and the missus were both recently bemoaning the lack of diversity which is so profound here compared to other places we have lived.

13 hours ago, Mox said:

I recently moved to Clarkston and as much as I enjoy it and how easy it is to get into town and Pollokshaws Road for a beer, me and the missus were both recently bemoaning the lack of diversity which is so profound here compared to other places we have lived.

People don't move to East Ren for anything but the schools.

Diversity? Did you live in London? Not much in Glasgow or rest of Scotland excluding Govanhill.

16 minutes ago, Alan said:

People don't move to East Ren for anything but the schools.

Diversity? Did you live in London? Not much in Glasgow or rest of Scotland excluding Govanhill.

Do you think diversity is a good or a bad thing, Alan?

On 1/13/2018 at 11:29 AM, dandydunn said:

The tandoori is decent too :ok:

The echt show is to be avoided for outsiders though, it always ends in a battle royal :lol:

I played for Echt for 8 years and was still considered an outsider at this.  Scary stuff unless you knew a local or 6!

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Do you think diversity is a good or a bad thing, Alan?

Oh I see what you're trying to do you scamp.  Good question.  It is good but I'd argue West of Scotland is not diverse.  Most people look the same and have same background.  Yes you have more difference in past 20 years but its stil not that different.  

The only place I'd argue has real diversity in UK is London which is fantastic, young, affordable up to the late 1990's and diverse.  Then you have Maidenhead which is not.

6 minutes ago, Alan said:

Oh I see what you're trying to do you scamp.  Good question.  It is good but I'd argue West of Scotland is not diverse.  Most people look the same and have same background.  Yes you have more difference in past 20 years but its stil not that different.  

The only place I'd argue has real diversity in UK is London which is fantastic, young, affordable up to the late 1990's and diverse.  Then you have Maidenhead which is not.

You definetely wont find diversity in Bridge of Weir and Houston however I would disagree that the West of Scotland is not diverse. 

I help kids with their reading at a primary school in Glasgow once a week in my lunch hour,  there are over 100 different languages spoken by the kids whose family do not class English as their first language. 

19 minutes ago, Alan said:

Of course it all depends on what you define as diverse.  It's probably not a good idea to use London as any kind of benchmark - its a World city and as such will attract many different cultures and ethnicities for all sorts of reasons.  In fact I read somewhere that London is now the "most diverse" city in the world - whatever that means - having recently overtaken New York.

If you want to look at headline numbers then from the 2011 census

• UK overall - White 87%, Mixed 2%, Indian 2.5%, Pakistani 1.9%,  Bangladeshi 0.7%; Chinese 0.7%, Other Asian 1.4% Black 3%; other 0.8%
  • Scotland - White 96%, Mixed 0.4%, Indian 0.6%, Pakistani 0.9%, Chinese 0.6%, Other Asian 0.4%, Black 0.7%, other 0.4%

And since you're interested Maidenhead is slightly "more diverse" than the UK average and certainly more diverse than Glasgow.

Given that you are such a fan of diversity - would you support the devolution of immigration powers?

back on topic what about the Ayrshire Rivera Doonfoot, Alloway, Ayr, Prestwick, Monkton, Troon Barassie, Loans, and Dundonald  all close to railway and nearby to Glasgow Prestwick International airport we have a milder winter and way much less snow

Edited by FuNsTeR

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Barney Rubble said:

The village of Tarbolton in Ayrshire is idyllic. Close to an airport, with high quality education available at Ayr Academy and Wellington, and beautiful countryside five minutes away in any direction. The locals are also highly welcoming, if a little difficult to understand.

In comparison, Clarkston/Whitecraigs are antiseptic ghettoes.

Kris Boyd's manor haha

On 17/01/2018 at 2:12 PM, aaid said:

Given that you are such a fan of diversity - would you support the devolution of immigration powers?

*Thread Hijack*

No. 

Diversity was brought up in a conversation with Ayrshire and Clarkston which I found strange as their is a divide between "locals" and Glasgow incomers in Stewarton and Dunlop.  Maidenhead is the type of place where "local" Londoners moved out to in 1980's and 90's as they didn't like the changes in population make up.  Most of those commuter towns are utterly depressing, live in a false past and ironically judged on how quick the links back to London are.

On 18/01/2018 at 1:02 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

I live in Shawlands and plenty of diversity there!

Maybe its from living in London but I'd disagree.  Majority of people are all the same. White. Scottish. Having a couple Asian grocers, some curry houses and Julies Kopitiam (v good by the way) doesn't really register for me.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

*Thread Hijack*

No. 

Diversity was brought up in a conversation with Ayrshire and Clarkston which I found strange as their is a divide between "locals" and Glasgow incomers in Stewarton and Dunlop.  Maidenhead is the type of place where "local" Londoners moved out to in 1980's and 90's as they didn't like the changes in population make up.  Most of those commuter towns are utterly depressing, live in a false past and ironically judged on how quick the links back to London are.

I wasn't the one who introduced diversity into the thread - interesting you didn't answer the question though.

As for the part in bold, that's a complete nonsense.   Population growth in Maidenhead over the last 30-40 years has been driven in the main by two factors.   Firstly - and mainly - by people from all over the UK and abroad, moving here for work, primarily either in London or in the numerous - mainly - Tech based companies in the Thames Valley corridor.    In more recent years, say the last 20 years, you've seen people - usually young families - move out of London mainly due to more competitive property prices and they are a mix of people, not solely "local" Londoners as you put it.

The sort of behaviour you describe is more common to the east of London - East End moving to Essex and SE London moving to Kent - its not really a thing to the West of London in my experience.

• 3 years later...

Hello all, finally got the opportunity to move home from deepest Ingerlundshire. 

Looking at working in Aberdeenshire and wanting options as in where to stay.

Ideally next to the coast but nae in Aberdeen itself and good transport links. Decent gym and outdoor life is high on the list 

Had a quick look at Stonehaven but been years since I've been there, seems like there's a few new builds around the area 

Cheers for any sensible recommendations 

4 hours ago, Tartan_Don said:

Hello all, finally got the opportunity to move home from deepest Ingerlundshire. 

Ideally next to the coast but nae in Aberdeen itself and good transport links. Decent gym and outdoor life is high on the list 

Had a quick look at Stonehaven but been years since I've been there, seems like there's a few new builds around the area 

Stonehaven is the only place I can  think that would tick all boxes. Train to Aberdeen or Dundee etc

Anything north of Aberdeen on the coast doesn't have the same transport links

Also moving from Englandshire. House is on the market, handed in my resignation at work.  Looks like we've moving north on the border, two 'yes' votes guaranteed. Had previously been looking at Borders as kids in NE England but now may be a bit further north.  Any recommendations within 30-45 minutes of Edinburgh?  Lots of places I've been through, or been to briefly, but don't really know.

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Also moving from Englandshire. House is on the market, handed in my resignation at work.  Looks like we've moving north on the border, two 'yes' votes guaranteed. Had previously been looking at Borders as kids in NE England but now may be a bit further north.  Any recommendations within 30-45 minutes of Edinburgh?  Lots of places I've been through, or been to briefly, but don't really know.

Dunbar, North Berwick?

19 hours ago, Tartan_Don said:

Aye stoneheven seems to tick all the boxes, it’s actually a cracking little place, you have balmedie,newburgh and crudenbay to the north however they have no train links but are reasonably close, the extension on the dual carriageway way has massively improved travel time

Edited by hampden_loon2878