If moving to Scotland.... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Always liked the idea of staying along the Fife South coast. Burntisland, Aberdour, Queensferry, etc. Close to Edinburgh airport and each town has quaint restaurants, pubs and more importantly an active train line. 

Aberdour is a lovely wee spot. Couple of boozers and a couple of restaurants. Silver sands beach. Train to Edinburgh 30minutes. Father in law stays there, when not at his other gaff in Spain. So we visit the empty one :lol:

I would like to nominate my village of Bridge of Weir. 10 mins drive from Glasgow airport, 10 mins drive to Johnstone train station where there is a large free car park and trains to Glasgow every 15 minutes , train journey takes 15-20 minutes. Good schools, Gryffe High seems to have very good results if that is important. 3 restaurants and 3 pubs. Hunners of take aways. 

If your friend is German , my work collaegue’s wife is German and they have just moved to Bearsden, might be a wee German community there 🙂

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I would like to nominate my village of Bridge of Weir. 10 mins drive from Glasgow airport, 10 mins drive to Johnstone train station where there is a large free car park and trains to Glasgow every 15 minutes , train journey takes 15-20 minutes. Good schools, Gryffe High seems to have very good results if that is important. 3 restaurants and 3 pubs. Hunners of take aways. 

If your friend is German , my work collaegue’s wife is German and they have just moved to Bearsden, might be a wee German community there 🙂

Aye, but yer bairns would grow up wae a Weegie accent. :worried:

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Aye, but yer bairns would grow up wae a Weegie accent. :worried:

Only if they live ‘doon the hill’ ( or even ‘doon the slope’ ) like me. The posh people live ‘ up the hill’ and dont even sound scottish , never mind weegie. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Only if they live ‘doon the hill’ ( or even ‘doon the slope’ ) like me. The posh people live ‘ up the hill’ and dont even sound scottish , never mind weegie. 

Anybody South West of Stirling sounds Weegie to me. :whistling:

This is where @dandydunn comes along to tell us it’s South of Inverbervie. :P

Edited by Ormond

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Aberdour is a lovely wee spot. Couple of boozers and a couple of restaurants. Silver sands beach. Train to Edinburgh 30minutes. Father in law stays there, when not at his other gaff in Spain. So we visit the empty one :lol:

There's a Mexican milf stays there is there no? Her mans on the rigs or something 

Youve also got Dirty Wullies newsagent

Somewhere in the vicinity of Aberdour was there not a farm that had a horse with the biggest cock in the world, affectionately he was known as "Chopper" It used to drag along the field when he was walking about by all accounts. His cock must have been like leather

Some of that might be tweaked from the truth so I may have got myself muddled up along the way. I used to ken a boay that kent a boay and he telt me aw aboot the Dour

Edited by DoonTheSlope

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I'm never far from your thoughts. What can I say? They don't call me the housewives choice for nothing 

The village of Tarbolton in Ayrshire is idyllic. Close to an airport, with high quality education available at Ayr Academy and Wellington, and beautiful countryside five minutes away in any direction. The locals are also highly welcoming, if a little difficult to understand.

In comparison, Clarkston/Whitecraigs are antiseptic ghettoes.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The village of Tarbolton in Ayrshire is idyllic. Close to an airport, with high quality education available at Ayr Academy and Wellington, and beautiful countryside five minutes away in any direction. The locals are also highly welcoming, if a little difficult to understand.

In comparison, Clarkston/Whitecraigs are antiseptic ghettoes.

😂 Stewarton has actually expanded to be quite the des-res in Ayrshire. The new motorway get you to Weegie in about 20 minutes and you can go up through Dunlop for the airport. Great schools and the best butchers in the world.

14 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

There's a Mexican milf stays there is there no? Her mans on the rigs or something 

Youve also got Dirty Wullies newsagent

Somewhere in the vicinity of Aberdour was there not a farm that had a horse with the biggest cock in the world, affectionately he was known as "Chopper" It used to drag along the field when he was walking about by all accounts. His cock must have been like leather

Some of that might be tweaked from the truth so I may have got myself muddled up along the way. I used to ken a boay that kent a boay and he telt me aw aboot the Dour

All true. That’s the tame stuff. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Anywhere west o'  Bishy & Linwood and south o' The Port and your posh <_<

Were you Anna McCurley? :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Andy North Croy said:

Cannae wait till she reads these answers................

Nae mentions for Perth anyone?

And is Dunbar not officially the sunniest place in Scotland? (wae 2 hours sunshine per year)

The people that give a fuck are..... :P

8 hours ago, Andy North Croy said:

Cannae wait till she reads these answers................

Nae mentions for Perth anyone?

And is Dunbar not officially the sunniest place in Scotland? (wae 2 hours sunshine per year)

Nah that's Dundee. It's "Official"

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/dundee-among-driest-cities-in-the-uk/

And Perth aerodrome isn't a major airport.

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Deeside in Aberdeenshire

I actually always like Echt, because there is lo more community spirit there, and more traditional    

The tandoori is decent too :ok:

The echt show is to be avoided for outsiders though, it always ends in a battle royal :lol: