The storm that saved Glasgow - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The storm that saved Glasgow

Aye I've hazy memories of being taken on a detour in the 70s to have a look at some of the slums around the Gorbals being demolished. It was like a different world. You could understand the desire to clear them and start again, but as was shown in the programme some of the magnificent buildings that were sacrificed in the name of progress was insane.  Town planners of the 1960s have a lot to answer for...

Haven't watched it yet.

I lived in Stirling (St Ninians to be exact up the hill if anyone knows the area) and it was just as devastating there also, Garage roofs flying through the air.

I slept through the whole thing, til my Dad came into my room in middle of the night to say "move over our windows are broken" - apparently I replied "who broke them"...

Next day it just like the clips I have seen of the TV program, slates, fences roofs and sheds everywhere. The forest behind St Ninians where the motorway is now, was flattened  like a giant hand (maybe God.. ) had just brushed them down.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:47 PM, Toepoke said:

Aye I've hazy memories of being taken on a detour in the 70s to have a look at some of the slums around the Gorbals being demolished. It was like a different world. You could understand the desire to clear them and start again, but as was shown in the programme some of the magnificent buildings that were sacrificed in the name of progress was insane.  Town planners of the 1960s have a lot to answer for...

It could have been even worse if the planners had had the money...the whole centre of Glasgow was due to be flattened and rebuilt with sparkly new buildings.  The only thing that stopped it was the cost. It was a cracking programme - I found it fascinating.