6 Nations - Who’s going? - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 Nations - Who’s going?

Bristolhibby

Nearly that time of year. Scotland should be looking to build on last year, with two of the better teams coming to Fortress Murrayfield and a stuttering Wales team. I also believe we have genuine depth now in the players available. Forwards providing very good platform for our deadly backline.

Should be very intresting.

I’m making the short journey from Bath to Cardiff for the opener and heading to Rome for the final game against Italy.

Who else is going to the games and what’s your thoughts?

J

1 minute ago, Bristolhibby said:

Nearly that time of year. Scotland should be looking to build on last year, with two of the better teams coming to Fortress Murrayfield and a stuttering Wales team. I also believe we have genuine depth now in the players available. Forwards providing very good platform for our deadly backline.

I’m making the short journey from Bath to Cardiff for the opener and heading to Rome for the final game against Italy.

J

I might be going to Cardiff but that will be the only match for me this year. 

I'm afraid to even mention it but can we win it? 

12 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If the 6 nations were being played in my front garden I'd shut the curtains and go back to my bed

No you wouldn't - you'd keep the curtains open so you could gawk.. Actually you'd open the window so you could make smart comments, much in the same manner as you've done with this thread.

On 09/01/2018 at 11:56 AM, Bristolhibby said:

J

Except our front row is totally gubbed through injury.

Loose Head prop - Dickinson injured, Dell injured, Sutherland injured (but might be back in time to play), Marfo injured

Hooker - Ford injured, Brown out for an indefinite period with repeated concussions, McInally fit and firing

Tight Head prop - Nel injured, Fagerson injured, Berghan suspended

So we're left with Jon Welsh at TH, backed up by either McCallum or Rae, McInally at hooker backed up probably by Turner, Sutherland (hopefully) at LH backed up by Bhatti. That's not a strong unit and is ripe to be pushed about a lot. It's critical at this level and you only have to look at last year's France game to realise why - we were better in every other area but lost the game in the scrum. Same has happened multiple times against England and Wales in the recent past as well. 

I had high hopes for this season but the catalogue of front row injuries has made me doubtful it's going to be that great this year. Going to both home games anyway of course. 

15 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If the 6 nations were being played in my front garden I'd shut the curtains and go back to my bed

...and yet you're so dismissive of it you took the time to comment. Hmmmm....

49 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Just expressing an opinion champ

Nah, you're trying to wind people up. Why else would you come into the separate rugby section on the board and make a comment if you've absolutely no interest in rugby?

23 hours ago, biffer said:

Except our front row is totally gubbed through injury.

Loose Head prop - Dickinson injured, Dell injured, Sutherland injured (but might be back in time to play), Marfo injured

Hooker - Ford injured, Brown out for an indefinite period with repeated concussions, McInally fit and firing

Tight Head prop - Nel injured, Fagerson injured, Berghan suspended

So we're left with Jon Welsh at TH, backed up by either McCallum or Rae, McInally at hooker backed up probably by Turner, Sutherland (hopefully) at LH backed up by Bhatti. That's not a strong unit and is ripe to be pushed about a lot. It's critical at this level and you only have to look at last year's France game to realise why - we were better in every other area but lost the game in the scrum. Same has happened multiple times against England and Wales in the recent past as well. 

I had high hopes for this season but the catalogue of front row injuries has made me doubtful it's going to be that great this year. Going to both home games anyway of course. 

Yes, a conversation I’ve had with a number of people in recent weeks who have been talking up our chances. I’m heading to both home games and think I’ve probably swung a Rome trip too.

5 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Cannae get fkin tickets!!! 

Sold out months ago man. Lots of season passes sold this year as it was a great set of games. I got my seat against Samoa, New Zealand, Australia, France and England for £155.

4 hours ago, biffer said:

Sold out months ago man. Lots of season passes sold this year as it was a great set of games. I got my seat against Samoa, New Zealand, Australia, France and England for £155.

That is a good deal! 

$750 on Scotland @ 10/1       

$234 on Ireland @ 3/1

$20 on Wales @ 15/1

$5 on France @ 15/1

$1 on Italy @ 500/1 

Who is missing ? Betting Slip sent to my English Mate who thinks England already have their name engraved on the trophy hahahaha.

ABE.

$1000 bucks, with chance of Ireland stealing it and getting my money back (almost) but think Scotland have a decent chance this year. Worth a flutter.

If Scotland can take Wales away in the first game - then game on. Toughest game for us will be Ireland in my view. 

2 tough opponents at Home, and Ireland away. 

I know I am delusional btw.

Albu Gu Brath.

Edited by HUNTINGMcGREGOR

Going to wales and Ireland, think it’ll be a win in the former if the front row holds up and a bit of a doing in the latter at the hands of the team that will probably win the thing.

As much as we’re being talked up, I think the wales match is too close to call and we’ll struggle to play any rugby against France, Ireland and England as our forwards are a bit lightweight in comparison. To coin an old adage, you’ve got to earn the right to play, and I fear that we won’t. 

However, come kick off in all those matches, I’ll be expecting wins!

Squad

BACKS (19)
Mark Bennett (Edinburgh Rugby) – 20 caps
Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) – 28 caps
Nick Grigg (Glasgow Warriors) – 1 cap
Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons) – 1 cap
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 55 caps
Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 28 caps
Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps
Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 11 caps
Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 7 caps
Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
Greig Laidlaw (ASM Clermont Auvergne) – 58 caps
Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 29 caps
Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks) – 2 caps
Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 11 caps
Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) – 27 caps
Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps
Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 39 caps
Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 21 caps
Nathan Fowles (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped

FORWARDS (21)
John Barclay CAPTAIN (Scarlets) – 66 caps
Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby) – 5 caps
Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) – 3 caps
Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh Rugby) – 2 caps
David Denton (Worcester Warriors) – 35 caps
Cornell Du Preez (Edinburgh Rugby) – 5 caps
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 18 caps
Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 38 caps
Richie Gray (Toulouse) – 64 caps
Luke Hamilton (Leicester Tigers) – 1 cap
Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons) – 46 caps
Murray McCallum (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 12 caps
Gordon Reid (London Irish) – 27 caps
D’arcy Rae (Glasgow Warriors) – uncapped
Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby) – 7 caps
George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – 2 caps
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 15 caps
Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons) – 11 caps
Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps

Most obvious omission for me is Rory Sutherland, if he's not injured I would have him ahead of the other LH props in the squad. Given our paucity of resources I'm very surprised. 

If it wasn't for the front row I'd be quite optimistic about this campaign but I have to say I'm worried.

• 2 weeks later...