2018 movie thread - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2018 movie thread

Watched restless natives for the first time in about 30 years this afternoon. Not the greatest film ever made but holds some nostalgia for me as most of it was filmed not far from were I grew up, it also has a great soundtrack by Big Country. Anybody know the real locations of the "highlands" scenes? 

On 1/8/2018 at 11:34 PM, Stapes said:

Not a film, but watched the first two seasons of Narcos. Brilliant stuff. Third season not so good, but worth it for Salazar's wife alone.

Agreed, I've recently got into this too. I'm concerned they go Homeland with this and keep making more seasons with weaker storylines 

11 minutes ago, McDange said:

Agreed, I've recently got into this too. I'm concerned they go Homeland with this and keep making more seasons with weaker storylines 

Feels like it. West Wing was the biggest culprit with the last two being awful. They should all take a leaf out of the Breaking Bad book - end at its peak.

That's sad Dan.   As a fan of Blade Runner, I've been waiting for this.   But I'l wait for a few reviews on here before venturing out.

(In fact, I'll probably still watch it in the hoose for free somehow, ...someday,    and make up my own mind.   ,,,patience.)

Now you mention it; I never watched the original either on first screenings.   Got it mixed up with some other shecht and only saw it a few years late, and then loved it.

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

That's sad Dan.   As a fan of Blade Runner, I've been waiting for this.   But I'l wait for a few reviews on here before venturing out.

(In fact, I'll probably still watch it in the hoose for free somehow, ...someday,    and make up my own mind.   ,,,patience.)

Now you mention it; I never watched the original either on first screenings.   Got it mixed up with some other shecht and only saw it a few years late, and then loved it.

Went to see 2049 at the cinema and didnt enjoy it

Like Dan i thought it was overlong but also felt it tried to be far too thought provoking which was unnecessary as the original got that just right and there was no need for expansion 

On reflection i probably fell into the trap of looking forward to it too much

Would probably have enjoyed it more in the house watching it alone with no distractions

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Went to see 2049 at the cinema and didnt enjoy it

Like Dan i thought it was overlong but also felt it tried to be far too thought provoking which was unnecessary as the original got that just right and there was no need for expansion 

On reflection i probably fell into the trap of looking forward to it too much

Would probably have enjoyed it more in the house watching it alone with no distractions

picks up a bit in the 2nd half but still overly long

stylishly shot with very little substance, a film that really didnt need to be made

,Saw "Our Darkest Hour" at the cinema last night.  I was pretty cynical about the motives behind it (why this film, why now?) but my wife dragged me along (and paid).  I still remain deeply cynical about motives, it should appeal to the Brexiteers though.  Generally well shot and acted, bit clichéd in parts.  There is one truly appalling horrendous toe curling cringeworthy scene towards the end that is hopelessly historically inaccurate. Gary Oldman who is absolutely superb, and those who did his make up, are the stand outs.

Edited by Hertsscot

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

,Saw "Our Darkest Hour" at the cinema last night.  I was pretty cynical about the motives behind it (why this film, why now?) but my wife dragged me along (and paid).  I still remain deeply cynical about motives, it should appeal to the Brexiteers though.  Generally well shot and acted, bit clichéd in parts.  There is one truly appalling horrendous toe curling cringeworthy scene towards the end that is hopelessly historically inaccurate. Gary Oldman who is absolutely superb, and those who did his make up, are the stand outs.

Just wait till Ridley Scott's Battle of Britain remake comes out in the next 18 months

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Just wait till Ridley Scott's Battle of Britain remake comes out in the next 18 months

I think I can wait.  Wonder if he'll highlight all the Poles knocking the Luftwaffe out the skies? It would make a pleasant change to the normal England won the war.

Watched No Stone Unturned; the story of the ‘investigation’ into the massacre in Ireland where the UVF shot innocents watching  the Italy v Ireland World Cup 94 game. 

Predictably the British State does not come out of it very well :mad:.

Horrendous for the victims and family