Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

On 1/12/2018 at 9:11 AM, dan cake said:

the snowman is be avoided at all costs

great book utterly terrible film 

Utter, utter drivel.  The worst film I've watched in the cinema for many a year.  I can only think of 2 I'd rank below it (Swingers and The Crucible for what it's worth!).  Everything about it was poor but the icing on the cake has to be the utterly bizarre peformance (and voice over) by Val Kilmer.  How anyone involved in that film could watch it in post production and decide to keep him in it, illness or not, is baffling.

On another note went to see Three Billboards at the weekend and thought it was excellent.  A stick on for multiple awards especially for McDormand and Rockwell who are both superb.

Off to see Darkest Hour this weekend and looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw The Post on Saturday.  Didn't know too much about beforehand but well worth seeing.  Intelligent film making, superb acting from everyone but particularly Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in their lead roles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Saw The Post on Saturday.  Didn't know too much about beforehand but well worth seeing.  Intelligent film making, superb acting from everyone but particularly Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in their lead roles. 

Will probably see that this weekend.

Darkest Hour is excellent.  Oldman puts in the best performance I've seen in a long, long time and it's credit to him that even though you clearly know he's playing Churchill at no point during the film did I think "that's Gary Oldman playing Churchill".  I was totally absorbed in his performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/01/2018 at 6:39 PM, loanhead-tartan said:

Went to see 3 billboards outside ebbing Missouri last night. Lives up to the hype, sam Rockwell and frances mcdormand we’re brilliant in it 

As was woody, has the feel of a Coen bros film

Best iv seen this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched American Assassin on Saturday night.  Not sure if it was because i wasn't really in the mood for it (and had just come in from several post match pints), but i didn't think much of it at all. My other half normally likes these type of films, but she didn't think much of it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw American Made with Tom Cruise. Awful film - watch Blow or Narcos instead.

Watched My Name is Lenny, a film about Lenny McLean (Barry the Baptist in Lock, Stock). Pretty good wee film. Worth a watch.

Put on Geo-Storm. It kept buffering so I turned it off after about half an hour, but won't go back to it. Pretty dire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Saw American Made with Tom Cruise. Awful film - watch Blow or Narcos instead.

 

Tried to watch that twice, fell asleep both times.  I won't be going back for a 3rd attempt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Downsizing last night. Strange film that starts really well and then starts to drag. Could have been great, but wasn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darkest hour

Took three attempts to watch this as I kept falling asleep

two hours of dross to get to the fight them on the beaches speech, Gary Oldham is good that's the best I can offer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2018 at 8:38 PM, dan cake said:

Got round to watching baby driver last night, meh

a shit True Romance

Thought Baby Driver was utter guff.

 

Three Billboards though was the best film I’ve seen for ages 👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baby Driver was pretty poor, but it was really an old Edgar Wright music video (featuring Howard and Vince) that he decided stretch to a couple of hours... This 'un:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Three Billboards though was the best film I’ve seen for ages 👍🏼

Just finished watching it. Pretty decent aye but a shite ending. 

On a side note, 3 years ago I worked in a town in South Missouri exactly like that one. I realise it was filmed in NC but it defo looked like South Missouri where I was with the shops, boozers and scenery the same. It is definitely spot on as a white man town with deep rooted Southern racism. The locals were nice to me though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2018 at 1:32 AM, loanhead-tartan said:

Seen Itonya the night , superb film I think Margot robbie would have been looking at an Oscar if it wasny for Frances mcdormad in 3 billboards 

Brilliant film, Allison Janney was outstanding as the mother and thoroughly deserved her Oscar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-03-13 at 7:47 PM, Ormond said:

Just finished watching it. Pretty decent aye but a shite ending. 

On a side note, 3 years ago I worked in a town in South Missouri exactly like that one. I realise it was filmed in NC but it defo looked like South Missouri where I was with the shops, boozers and scenery the same. It is definitely spot on as a white man town with deep rooted Southern racism. The locals were nice to me though. 

Not even sure you have to journey too far south for that ; been to a lot of similar places in montana , idaho like that

of course as per most places in states a trip to local walmart is always an eye opener

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Death of Stalin - somewhat bizarre. Still not decided if it was terrible, but I'm leaning that way. I wasn't bored though.

All the Money in the World - decent film. Drags a bit at times, but definitely worth a watch. A very strange family, especially the uncaring patriarch, Jean Paul Getty. Interesting trying to work out how Spacey would have played the role - hopefully one day they'll release it with his scenes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stapes said:

Death of Stalin - somewhat bizarre. Still not decided if it was terrible, but I'm leaning that way. I wasn't bored though.

All the Money in the World - decent film. Drags a bit at times, but definitely worth a watch. A very strange family, especially the uncaring patriarch, Jean Paul Getty. Interesting trying to work out how Spacey would have played the role - hopefully one day they'll release it with his scenes.

I watched it last week and quite enjoyed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fringo said:

I know it's 3 years old so not 2018 but is the Revenant worth watching ?

If you have seen Man in the Wilderness with Richard Harris then probably not unless you are more into cinematography

If you havent seen MITW then it probably is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isle of Dogs looks good as does A Quiet Place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fringo said:

I watched it last week and quite enjoyed it.

By coincidence just watched it (Death of Stalin) the other day.

An unusual combination of grim/absurd/humorous (if that's the word). or is it tragicomic? Engaging but slightly hard to say if enjoyable is the word for it. Although not faithful to all the facts, at least you pick up some insights into another place/time

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

If you have seen Man in the Wilderness with Richard Harris then probably not unless you are more into cinematography

If you havent seen MITW then it probably is

A Man called Horse ? Not heard of the one you mention.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×