The all new Irn Bru - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The all new Irn Bru

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

You're out by a factor of 1000. It's grams not milligrams. Are you a marketing man for the drinks industry?;)

Are you in the health industry ? Serious question as you seem to be pretty well researched on this. Or are you simply a rehabilitated fat thicko 😉

17 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

See if people were to stop drinking it for a few weeks then they'll realise how vile the stuff actually is

I used to drink cans and cans of Coke/Pepsi everyday then got told that the caffeine was most probably the cause of kidney stones I had so I stopped altogether. A few weeks later I had a can of Coke and it was disgusting

You'll lose a tone of wicht aswell 

We get it, you don’t like it. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Are you in the health industry ? Serious question as you seem to be pretty well researched on this. Or are you simply a rehabilitated fat thicko 😉

No rehabilitation involved. I am thicker now than I have ever been.

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

How much Pepsi do you have to be drinking per day to lose a stone just by cutting that out alone?

I have just asked the 3 men who have taken 6 hours to dig a hole in my garden . But they dont know. 

On 1/5/2018 at 2:10 PM, Orraloon said:

The World Health Organisation reckons that about 25% of adults in the developed world have Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. One of the main contributors to this is thought to be the over consumption of sugar (fructose in particular). Most of us know that over consumption of alcohol can also damage the liver. One of the diseases it causes is Fatty Liver disease. So, if you're using the type of drinks designed for "fat thickos" to cure your hangover then you could be giving yourself a double fat liver. But, spare a thought for those folk who like to get drunk using vodka and Coke. That's a triple whammy. Fat, fat fatty liver for them.

I think Coke might be even worse than Irn Bru but I'm not sure.

My advice would be that if you must get drunk then stick to beer. Sure, it's got loads of kilocalories but very little sugar. Not lager though, that's about 3% sugars. Then just suffer your hangover like a real man.

Every time you have a sip of that sugar laden poison, just image another wee bit of fat getting pumped into your liver, eventually leading to a slow agonising death. :lol:

Enjoy your pint.:ok:

I'll just stick to straight whisky then. Nice and clean. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/28/2018 at 7:15 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Initial blind test carried out. New version correctly identified, however an absolute triumph for the Barrs company. They have produced a new version of Irn Bru that is almost undectable on first taste from the original and only a very small artificial sweetener aftertaste. 9/10.

I always meant to go back and correct this drivel that I previously wrote. Not sure how I ever came to that initial conclusion, new recipie is horrible . 250 million loss in share value because of the weather, aye right.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:45 AM, Orraloon said:

If this move does nothing more, it might just make a few more folk realise how much sugar is added to these drinks. It's going down from 10.3 % w/v to 4.7% w/v. Those numbers might not register much with most folk (especially the "fat thicko" variety). But some others might just start to have a wee think about what those numbers mean. 

A wee 500 ml bottle (this seems to be the most popular size these days) is about the right size for drinking in one go - say over 10 to 20 minutes ish. That bottle currently contains 51.5g of added sugar. That's about the equivalent of 13 (thirteen) standard size sugar cubes. 

That's like trying to dissolve 8 sugar cubes in a mug of tea. Yuk.:barf:

It's little wonder that we have an obesity epidemic. 

I think that added sugars in our foodstuffs is as big, or maybe even a bigger, problem than alcohol abuse.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:10 PM, Orraloon said:

The World Health Organisation reckons that about 25% of adults in the developed world have Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. One of the main contributors to this is thought to be the over consumption of sugar (fructose in particular). Most of us know that over consumption of alcohol can also damage the liver. One of the diseases it causes is Fatty Liver disease. So, if you're using the type of drinks designed for "fat thickos" to cure your hangover then you could be giving yourself a double fat liver. But, spare a thought for those folk who like to get drunk using vodka and Coke. That's a triple whammy. Fat, fat fatty liver for them.

I think Coke might be even worse than Irn Bru but I'm not sure.

My advice would be that if you must get drunk then stick to beer. Sure, it's got loads of kilocalories but very little sugar. Not lager though, that's about 3% sugars. Then just suffer your hangover like a real man.

Every time you have a sip of that sugar laden poison, just image another wee bit of fat getting pumped into your liver, eventually leading to a slow agonising death. :lol:

Enjoy your pint.:ok:

On 1/5/2018 at 3:45 PM, Orraloon said:

Wine also has very little sugar so scoop it up. Unless you drink that disgusting sweet stuff, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to.

The hair of the dog might help your hangover, but not your liver.

Just stay off the sugar, it's toxic.

Bang on the money. Obesity, diabetes, metabolic syndrome are just the tip of the sugar berg. See the article I posted on the Cancer thread. It does not take much...

How Much Sugar?
Two hundred years ago, the average American ate only 2 pounds of sugar a year.
In 1970, we ate 123 pounds of sugar per year. Today, the average American
consumes almost 152 pounds of sugar in one year. This is equal to 3 pounds (or 6
cups) of sugar consumed in one week!
Nutritionists suggest that Americans should get only 10% of their calories from
sugar. This equals 13.3 teaspoons of sugar per day (based on 2,000 calories per
day). The current average is 42.5 teaspoons of sugar per day! 

3 pounds a week - that is getting on for a full bag and a half of sugar per week! Probably is by now as it gets higher and higher every year. I cant imagine many are sprinkling that amount on their porridge. Most of it is hidden in shit foods and especially fizzy drinks etc. It is fucking nuts.

You are right, avoid it completely. You still get some sugars naturally in fruit, cream etc but anything with added sugar just totally avoid. I have also read that the artificial sweeteners are not great either.

Edited by thplinth

This might just be my weird tastebuds but I don't think that the new recipe tastes that bad as long as you have it in a glass with plenty of ice. That might just be me though.

Who else would be willing to pay a wee bit more for a can if they brought back the old recipe as "Irn-Bru Classic" or something like that ? I would.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

This might just be my weird tastebuds but I don't think that the new recipe tastes that bad as long as you have it in a glass with plenty of ice. That might just be me though.

That'll be because the ice makes it cold enough that you quite probably can't taste much at all. Same principle as all these "extra cold" lagers these days where the companies encourage them to be served near freezing so that you can't actually taste them.

On 7/17/2019 at 1:12 PM, thplinth said:

Bang on the money. Obesity, diabetes, metabolic syndrome are just the tip of the sugar berg. See the article I posted on the Cancer thread. It does not take much...

3 pounds a week - that is getting on for a full bag and a half of sugar per week! Probably is by now as it gets higher and higher every year. I cant imagine many are sprinkling that amount on their porridge. Most of it is hidden in shit foods and especially fizzy drinks etc. It is fucking nuts.

You are right, avoid it completely. You still get some sugars naturally in fruit, cream etc but anything with added sugar just totally avoid. I have also read that the artificial sweeteners are not great either.

I think the question we should be asking as a society is "Why do we feel the need to continually pump bags and bags this sweet sugary shyte into our system day after day after day?" IMO, it doesn't even taste very good but I'm obviously in a minority on that one.

I think there are two main answers to that question. 

1. Parents get their kids hooked on it like junkies, from a very early age, by pumping this shyte into their poor wee bodies before they are old enough to be able to make the choice for themselves. Children are effectively being poisoned by their own parents. Most parents know fine well that sugar is not good for them but they continue feed it to their kids by the bucket load.
  2. Loads of companies make mega bucks from this shyte.

As you say our bodies don't actually need sugars at all and the amount we get from eating fruit and vegetables won't do us any harm.  Just stop eating and drinking added sugar folks. You don't need it and it will end up killing loads of you.

Artificial sweeteners is a different massive mine field to get your head around. It's important to realise that there are a whole load of different chemicals involved here. I think there are currently about six chemicals that make up the majority of the market. There are many other minor players as well. Each one is very different chemically and will have very different effects on the body. The one I know most about is Sucralose. If I had to choose any of them (which I don't) this is the one I would choose to use. It is made by processing sucrose. The sucrose undergoes a chemical process which modifies the chemistry and the structure of the molecule. Of all the main sweeteners, it's the closest thing to actual sugar that you will find. It's main benefits are that it passes through the body un-metabolised and it is about 600 times sweeter than sucrose so in theory you should only need about one 600th of the amount to get the same sweetness kick.

As with all sweeteners though, the sweetness can "trick" the body into expecting to get a heavy dose of sugar into the stomach very soon, and your endocrine system kicks into action. When the expected sugar fix doesn't arrive the endocrine system goes "WTF happened there?". This can lead to problems later on when your body gets a dose of real sugar and the endocrine system goes "away tae fuk, you're no fooling me with that one again". A load of research is going on in this field at the moment. But a lot of that research is being sponsored by ......you guessed it...... BIG SUGAR.

IMO sugar abuse is going to be a far bigger problem than drug abuse.