The all new Irn Bru - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The all new Irn Bru

15 minutes ago, McDange said:

If it still prevents / kills hangovers then I have no issue with this. 

The World Health Organisation reckons that about 25% of adults in the developed world have Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. One of the main contributors to this is thought to be the over consumption of sugar (fructose in particular). Most of us know that over consumption of alcohol can also damage the liver. One of the diseases it causes is Fatty Liver disease. So, if you're using the type of drinks designed for "fat thickos" to cure your hangover then you could be giving yourself a double fat liver. But, spare a thought for those folk who like to get drunk using vodka and Coke. That's a triple whammy. Fat, fat fatty liver for them.

I think Coke might be even worse than Irn Bru but I'm not sure.

My advice would be that if you must get drunk then stick to beer. Sure, it's got loads of kilocalories but very little sugar. Not lager though, that's about 3% sugars. Then just suffer your hangover like a real man.

Every time you have a sip of that sugar laden poison, just image another wee bit of fat getting pumped into your liver, eventually leading to a slow agonising death. :lol:

Enjoy your pint.:ok:

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The World Health Organisation reckons that about 25% of adults in the developed world have Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. One of the main contributors to this is thought to be the over consumption of sugar (fructose in particular). Most of us know that over consumption of alcohol can also damage the liver. One of the diseases it causes is Fatty Liver disease. So, if you're using the type of drinks designed for "fat thickos" to cure your hangover then you could be giving yourself a double fat liver. But, spare a thought for those folk who like to get drunk using vodka and Coke. That's a triple whammy. Fat, fat fatty liver for them.

My advice would be that if you must get drunk then stick to beer. Sure, it's got loads of kilocalories but very little sugar. Not lager though, that's about 3% sugars. Then just suffer your hangover like a real man.

Every time you have a sip of that sugar laden poison, just image another wee bit of fat getting pumped into your liver, eventually leading to a slow agonising death. :lol:

Where does wine fit in on the fatty liver theory ? Just asking for a friend.  

Also, I sometimes get over a bad hangover with another alcoholic drink. Does the alcohol from the night before, and the alcohol from the hangover aid , offset each other by any chance , ie do 2 positives make a negative ?

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Where does wine fit in on the fatty liver theory ? Just asking for a friend.  

Also, I sometimes get over a bad hangover with another alcoholic drink. Does the alcohol from the night before, and the alcohol from the hangover aid , offset each other by any chance , ie do 2 positives make a negative ?

Wine also has very little sugar so scoop it up. Unless you drink that disgusting sweet stuff, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to.

The hair of the dog might help your hangover, but not your liver.

Just stay off the sugar, it's toxic.

Edited by Orraloon

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Wine also has almost no sugar so scoop it up. Unless you drink that disgusting sweet stuff, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to.

Orraloon, this news has made my weekend , you have just moved into top spot as my favourite poster. .Being a lady of refined( but not sugar) tastes , I do not drink sweet wine. 

On this subject, if any of you are thinking of buying that stuff that makes prosecco shimmer for the lady in your life then dont bother, it is bowfin. 

23 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Wine also has very little sugar so scoop it up. Unless you drink that disgusting sweet stuff, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to.

It's not.

Hadza of Tanzania

The Hadza are hunter-gatherers.  Their diet revolves around fruit, wild game, tubers and honey.  According to a recent analysis, by weight their diet is (1):
  • 18-37 percent berries
  • 18-31 percent starchy tubers
  • 10-35 percent meat
  • 7-15 percent baobab fruit
  • 1-19 percent honey
Here's a graph of food intake by season from the paper: 

Hadza.JPG

Baobab fruit is largely sugar by calories.  Year-round, 40-60 percent of the Hadza diet comes from sugar-rich foods: berries, baobab fruit, and honey.  This is unquestionably a high-sugar diet, sustained year-round throughout life.  The sugar they eat is all unrefined.

So how fat are these people?  In the same study, men and women had an average body fat percentage of 11 and 20 percent, respectively-- lean by any standard.  Body mass index was 20.2 and 20.4 for men and women, also indicating leanness.  There was not very much variability in body fat percentage between people.  I think you’d be hard pressed to find an obese person among the Hadza.  Blood pressure is also low in this population (2).

OK, sugar (especially the refined stuff) is toxic when taken in excessive quantities, by folk from developed countries, who largely have sedentary lifestyles and haven't evolved to be able to process all that sugar without harming their livers.:ok:

I don't think many of the Hadza tribe will be reading the TAMB.

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

If they could find a colourant that disny ruin your bloody carpets they would sell a lot more.  I bet it has been banned from more homes for that than the sugar content. 

Made this mistake 2 weeks ago. There’s a Scottish grocer type place about 20 mins from me that I treat myself to once a month. I finished a bottle of Bru and threw down the empty plastic bottle for the dugs tae chew on for a bit. I never realised the amount of dregs inside nor did I think about the ginger stains on a cream carpet. :worried:

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Virtually all beers here have that added syrup pish that is in 99% of Yank food and drink. Except Guinness, one’s tipple of choice. :cheers3:

8 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Made this mistake 2 weeks ago. There’s a Scottish grocer type place about 20 mins from me that I treat myself to once a month. I finished a bottle of Bru and threw down the empty plastic bottle for the dugs tae chew on for a bit. I never realised the amount of dregs inside nor did I think about the ginger stains on a cream carpet:worried:

👀

9 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Made this mistake 2 weeks ago. There’s a Scottish grocer type place about 20 mins from me that I treat myself to once a month. I finished a bottle of Bru and threw down the empty plastic bottle for the dugs tae chew on for a bit. I never realised the amount of dregs inside nor did I think about the ginger stains on a cream carpet. :worried:

So not a proper 'bottle of Bru' then.

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

OK, sugar (especially the refined stuff) is toxic when taken in excessive quantities, by folk from developed countries, who largely have sedentary lifestyles and haven't evolved to be able to process all that sugar without harming their livers.:ok:

I don't think many of the Hadza tribe will be reading the TAMB.

Anemoha nekatoshkashaha ordhekisia majkwa !!!!! 😡💀⛺️

7 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Virtually all beers here have that added syrup pish that is in 99% of Yank food and drink. Except Guinness, one’s tipple of choice. :cheers3:

Aye, corn syrup is horrible stuff. Most beers over here have less than 1% sugars, unless you go for the sweetened varieties. Guinness is good for you. And helps keep the sphincter lubricated.:ok:

Just now, Orraloon said:

Aye, corn syrup is horrible stuff. Most beers over here have less than 1% sugars, unless you go for the sweetened varieties. Guinness is good for you. And helps keep the sphincter lubricated.:ok:

The running oot o’ yer erchie thing is a myth. 

Just now, Orraloon said:

Maybe you could try drinking more of it?;)

Just for scientific research purposes.

I tried that. Even the dugs thought I was a slavering cunt. 

I have cut down a lot though recently but I did hammer a skinfu’ yesterday. :cheers3:

43 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I tried that. Even the dugs thought I was a slavering cunt. 

I have cut down a lot though recently but I did hammer a skinfu’ yesterday. :cheers3:

That's a pity. I was going to offer to sponsor the research as well. But if you've already done the experiment there's no point doing it again.

It is quite high in fibre though, so there is some science behind the "myth"

Maybe we should do a wee TAMB survey to find out how many folk think Guinness affects their bowel movements. So far it's a draw

Ormond 1 Orraloon 1

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

That's a pity. I was going to offer to sponsor the research as well. But if you've already done the experiment there's no point doing it again.

It is quite high in fibre though, so there is some science behind the "myth"

Maybe we should do a wee TAMB survey to find out how many folk think Guinness affects their bowel movements. So far it's a draw

Ormond 1 Orraloon 1

Ormond 1 Orraloon 2