The all new Irn Bru - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The all new Irn Bru

23 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Folk moaning about this tend to both fat and thick. So I’m all for it, in the hope it gives us a healthier and less moronic populace. ;) 

Just watched the 'healthiest tribe in Africa' on TV horsing down pure honey. That'll be because we're evolved to like sugar because it's good for us. Nothing wrong with sugary drinks in moderation.

I'll give the new stuff a go, obviously from a glass bottle only.

Edited by Eisegerwind

10 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Nothing wrong with sugary drinks in moderation.

Nothing wrong with donner kebabs in moderation either, to be fair. 

Unfortunately most of the fat thickos are incapable of practicing said "moderation" 

If this move does nothing more, it might just make a few more folk realise how much sugar is added to these drinks. It's going down from 10.3 % w/v to 4.7% w/v. Those numbers might not register much with most folk (especially the "fat thicko" variety). But some others might just start to have a wee think about what those numbers mean. 

A wee 500 ml bottle (this seems to be the most popular size these days) is about the right size for drinking in one go - say over 10 to 20 minutes ish. That bottle currently contains 51.5g of added sugar. That's about the equivalent of 13 (thirteen) standard size sugar cubes. 

That's like trying to dissolve 8 sugar cubes in a mug of tea. Yuk.:barf:

It's little wonder that we have an obesity epidemic. 

I think that added sugars in our foodstuffs is as big, or maybe even a bigger, problem than alcohol abuse.