Hogmanay - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is there anything more cringey than reading about how everyone can't wait for Hogmanay? 

What can you do tonight that you can't do any other night off the year apart from be in places that are twice as busy, twice as dear and has twice as many arse holes that'll have 2 pints and will want to fight anyone, then you have to remortgage your house just to get a taxi up the road

It's the same episode every single year when every arsehole that gets one night out a year thinks it's ok to shake every single persons hand they meet when they wouldn't look the road they're on any other night of the year. Then there's the street party, absolutely fucking shite. You stand on princes street for hours on end then watch a few fireworks plus it's for the tourists that no doubt rip the pish out of our dialect 24/7 so any gullible cunt local that paid to get in for something that they've already paid for the in cooncil tax are expected to intertwine arms with them and sing that Auld Lang Syne pish. I hope it pishes doon wi hail and snaw and these daft cunts that have travelled the world to stand in Princes Street have a miserable time. 

I'll be in my bed for half 10 no doubt playing with a floppy while watching Auntie Jackie.

Happy New Year Yerselfs Tae Fuck

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Is there anything more cringey than reading about how everyone can't wait for Hogmanay? 

What can you do tonight that you can't do any other night off the year apart from be in places that are twice as busy, twice as dear and has twice as many arse holes that'll have 2 pints and will want to fight anyone, then you have to remortgage your house just to get a taxi up the road

It's the same episode every single year when every arsehole that gets one night out a year thinks it's ok to shake every single persons hand they meet when they wouldn't look the road they're on any other night of the year. Then there's the street party, absolutely fucking shite. You stand on princes street for hours on end then watch a few fireworks plus it's for the tourists that no doubt rip the pish out of our dialect 24/7 so any gullible cunt local that paid to get in for something that they've already paid for the in cooncil tax are expected to intertwine arms with them and sing that Auld Lang Syne pish. I hope it pishes doon wi hail and snaw and these daft cunts that have travelled the world to stand in Princes Street have a miserable time. 

I'll be in my bed for half 10 no doubt playing with a floppy while watching Auntie Jackie.

Happy New Year Yerselfs Tae Fuck

Well thats at least one less arse hole in the crowds 🙂 

The only thing worse than taking part in the mass celebrations is watching it on TV.

Enjoy yer programmes and HNY DTS . Lang may yer lum reek. 

Does anyone still have street parties? I mind growing up and it felt like from the 26th to 3rd of Jan was a different party to go to. 

First-footing, going to a close pal/family house for a sing song/blether/grub is a good way to celebrate New Year but I don't seem to see people doing it any more which is a shame. I never go to your local pub on Hogmanay anymore, getting old and the thought of the Happy New Year midnight roll is enough to keep me home - shaking hands with folk you don't know in a pub and they'll never speak to you for the rest of the year. Although, I do quite like a gig/ceilidh at new year where there is music. 

It must be quite shite living in Edinburgh around this time and then you've got that luvy festival throughout the whole of August and having to put up with  95%crappy middle-class, second-rate English comedians decamping there for 6 weeks (in among some genuine good comics and shows)

Although HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Another tournament missed  for the national team, and no proper games in 2018, WOOHOO, well done the SFA.

I have similar views as DTS but perhaps not quite as extreme

Hogmanay is a bit like the works night out. You end up celebrating amongst folk you barely know who have been forced to go out because "it's Hogmanay, you can't stay in!"

Over the years I've tried several different ways of bringing in the bells. Clubs, pubs, street parties, Ceilidh's, going abroad, house parties and they are always a let down. Too much hype.

Twice in the past I've skipped the whole thing. Had a few beers, watched Still Game, OAE and then went to my bed. The positive side to this was the new years day steak pie with the family was much more enjoyable due to not being like a burst couch with a raging hangover.

Anyways tonight I'm off to my mates. Sitting in the hoose, watch the crap on the telly and sit up til 6am having a whisky fueled laugh.

Miserable bastards. I love hogmany and the 1st, no parties, just a couple of drinks at home then up early to a lovey quiet ne’erday, Big walk and swim and I wish everyone I meet a happy new year and thank God you lot must still be abed as I’m wished it back with smiles. 

So to all, Happy New Year when it reaches you. 

39 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Miserable bastards. I love hogmany and the 1st, no parties, just a couple of drinks at home then up early to a lovey quiet ne’erday, Big walk and swim and I wish everyone I meet a happy new year and thank God you lot must still be abed as I’m wished it back with smiles. 

And a Happy New Year to you too G-Man. 

I like New Year but agree with other posters that it can be let down with the hype. The past 2 years we have gone to the local pub, just ourselves, as we have had  20 odd years of parties. I like speaking to folk I dont know, we met a lawyer 2 years ago who ended up doing our Will. Not that same night right enough , that would have been a bit dour, even for Mr Tdyer. 

I have just finished a bit of New Year feng shui. 65 socks in my laundry basket that I canny match up. How the fook can you have 65 odd socks, I cant even remember buying 65 pairs of socks. And it was only tidied out a couple of months ago. 

Anyway have a good one. Enjoy Mr Bailey 🥃

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I like New Year but agree with other posters that it can be let down with the hype. The past 2 years we have gone to the local pub, just ourselves, as we have had  20 odd years of parties. I like speaking to folk I dont know, we met a lawyer 2 years ago who ended up doing our Will. Not that same night right enough , that would have been a bit dour, even for Mr Tdyer. 

I have just finished a bit of New Year feng shui. 65 socks in my laundry basket that I canny match up. How the fook can you have 65 odd socks, I cant even remember buying 65 pairs of socks. And it was only tidied out a couple of months ago. 

Try typing that after a few drinks

Work for me this evening till 22.30, then on night recall in case of emergencies.

Happy New Year.

:(

But as I'm still suffering after being out with your brother (@ TDYER63 ) on Friday night, it's not a bad thing.

Edited by Jersey Jim

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

And the very best to you.

It has all gone too far though so can understand where folk are coming from. Pals of mine have been involved in creating the Edinburgh Hogmanay ‘brand’. Hogmanay’s not something that should be branded! That seems crazy to me and I won’t get involved in any of that.

Been to a nice pub this afternoon, spent a few hours drinking, eating and chatting. Home now for a quiet night. I’ll reflect on the year past and look forward to the one to come.

Tomorrow, I too will walk the dog in the countryside and know now that the people I meet will be wearing smiles.

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

Work for me this evening till 22.30, then on night recall in case of emergencies.

Happy New Year.

But as I'm still suffering after being out with your brother (@ TDYER63 ) on Friday night, it's not a bad thing.

Happy New Year Jimmy., how on earth did a Scotsman manage to secure the graveyard shift in Jersey ? 

At least anyone flying over French airspace can be safe in the knowledge you are looking after them. ❤️

( gtf off those planes folks ! 💀)

Edited by TDYER63
Spelling

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

If I’m left with an odd sock I’ll eventually end up with another and just make them a pair. Luckily I’ve never been tempted by the socks and open toe sandal ensemble so no one notices. Enjoy the night at your local, if I get bored I may head over and pull faces against the window and watch you deny me to your new posh educated pals! 😝😝😘

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

Happy New Year.

If he’s half as bad as his sister I’ll say a prayer for you Jim. Went out for a wee lunch date last week and she ended up on a table giving her Christmas rendition of Hey Big Spender. 💃💃 

Happy new year helping the poor auld souls on Jersey. 🥛🥛

1 hour ago, Bobster said:

And the very best to you.

It has all gone too far though so can understand where folk are coming from. Pals of mine have been involved in creating the Edinburgh Hogmanay ‘brand’. Hogmanay’s not something that should be branded! That seems crazy to me and I won’t get involved in any of that.

Been to a nice pub this afternoon, spent a few hours drinking, eating and chatting. Home now for a quiet night. I’ll reflect on the year past and look forward to the one to come.

Tomorrow, I too will walk the dog in the countryside and know now that the people I meet will be wearing smiles.

Well the branding worked for the Irish with St Patrick’s Day and Edinburgh needs all the help it can get. 

Don’t tell Tidy the pubs name or that’ll be the last time you’ll be able to call it ‘nice’. 

If you’re very very lucky the people you meet tomorrow will be like me and wearing rubber to go with the smile. 🙀

😘😘