Hogmanay - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

43 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I never go out at new year and haven't done for years with the exception of house parties. Just having a quiet one with the missus and kids tonight though.

I thought you’d be around first-footing Mr. P Savage with the Union Jack on his arm? :lol:

Edited by Ormond

Well i had a great Hogmanay you dour bassas (not all to be fair!).

Spent it in front of the telly with my 6 year old Irish daughter, with a stream of BBC Scotland (Mammy on nightshift in the local A+E, so just me and her)

It's really the only time she gets to learn about Scotland and our culture, so i'm big into it. She gets to stay up till midnight (which is a massive thing when yer 6!), so loves it.

Had her new'er day cheer in the form of apple juice, then a wee dance to Ally Bain, then Auld Lang Syne.

It's a brilliant Scottish tradition, and we'd miss it if it was gone.

Fuck me, i even laughed at Only An Excuse! :beer2:

5 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I never go out at new year and haven't done for years with the exception of house parties. Just having a quiet one with the missus and kids tonight though.

Can you have such a contradiction :lol:

On the topic of miserable overrated things, I'd add the TV news stories from round the world, which show what seems like the same pictures of fireworks every year, but they talk about it as if it's something unusually newsworthy,and especially they go on about how it's already new year in Tonga/Auckland/Sydney, as if new year comes unexpectedly early there, rather than it always being first there by definition, and they usually say sydney was trying to be especially big this year, but, not to be outdone, some other city in some other country, who may have their own new year entirely, also trying to get in n the act, then it's the london time zone and of course they go on about london, and then mention some other regional cities, cheery also-rans, and they compare numbers just to be sure. At least that's the usual, i haven't been watching this year...

54 minutes ago, exile said:

On the topic of miserable overrated things, I'd add the TV news stories from round the world, which show what seems like the same pictures of fireworks every year, but they talk about it as if it's something unusually newsworthy,and especially they go on about how it's already new year in Tonga/Auckland/Sydney, as if new year comes unexpectedly early there, rather than it always being first there by definition, and they usually say sydney was trying to be especially big this year, but, not to be outdone, some other city in some other country, who may have their own new year entirely, also trying to get in n the act, then it's the london time zone and of course they go on about london, and then mention some other regional cities, cheery also-rans, and they compare numbers just to be sure. At least that's the usual, i haven't been watching this year...

You just put in to words what I couldn't be arsed typing out!

15 hours ago, G-Man said:

If I’m left with an odd sock I’ll eventually end up with another and just make them a pair. Luckily I’ve never been tempted by the socks and open toe sandal ensemble so no one notices. Enjoy the night at your local, if I get bored I may head over and pull faces against the window and watch you deny me to your new posh educated pals! 😝😝😘

If he’s half as bad as his sister I’ll say a prayer for you Jim. Went out for a wee lunch date last week and she ended up on a table giving her Christmas rendition of Hey Big Spender. 💃💃 

Happy new year helping the poor auld souls on Jersey. 🥛🥛

Well the branding worked for the Irish with St Patrick’s Day and Edinburgh needs all the help it can get. 

Don’t tell Tidy the pubs name or that’ll be the last time you’ll be able to call it ‘nice’. 

If you’re very very lucky the people you meet tomorrow will be like me and wearing rubber to go with the smile. 🙀

😘😘

Thanks for trying to make me sound interesting but ordering a second pot of tea isnae the same as dancing on the table singing Hey Big Spender. 

Hope you survived the New Year swim. I am hungover and knackered, mainly cos my daughter brought her friends back at 3am for a party. 👹

All the best everyone. 

3 hours ago, exile said:

👍

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Thanks for trying to make me sound interesting but ordering a second pot of tea isnae the same as dancing on the table singing Hey Big Spender. 

Hope you survived the New Year swim. I am hungover and knackered, mainly cos my daughter brought her friends back at 3am for a party. 👹

All the best everyone. 

Oh sorry forgot we were going for the cup of tea story instead of the truth that you followed Big Spender by acting out Patricia the Stripper through the medium of dance.

I thought I was cold yesterday but I think my heart actually stopped for a minute or 2 on way in this morning. 

2 rolls, 2 potato scones and 2 fried eggs with a big mug of tea solves all hangover ills. 

Happy 2018.

For the first time in many years, I enjoyed Hogmanay.  I was in Pyongyang watching the fireworks with 100'000 locals, experiencing something that will truly be a one off for me. Certainly beats watching BBC Scotland.