Goal-Line Technology - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goal-Line Technology

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42504610

The SPFL have released a statement saying goal line technology is unaffordable. Absolute fucking dribble

It took me 2 minutes to go onto Currys site and find a go-pro action camcorder for £399.99 each, and I'm thick as fuck. All you do is place one on a tripod at the side of the pitch at each end and hook it up to a monitor. Easy peasy 

1 for each end what's that for most premier league clubs? 2 season tickets

If the steenjy bastards are still reluctant on investment to retain the integrity of our national sport then why don't they offer free advertising to currys or any other manufacturer in return for the devices. By refusing to move the game forward all they are doing is bringing the game into disrepute

Just wait and see the outcry and backtracking should anything similar happen in the New Firm derby on Saturday. The cunts at the GFA are too wrapped up in their own self importance to give a monkeys fuck about anything that happens in football beyond the showcase cinemas

22 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42504610

The SPFL have released a statement saying goal line technology is unaffordable. Absolute fucking dribble

It took me 2 minutes to go onto Currys site and find a go-pro action camcorder for £399.99 each, and I'm thick as fuck. All you do is place one on a tripod at the side of the pitch at each end and hook it up to a monitor. Easy peasy 

1 for each end what's that for most premier league clubs? 2 season tickets

If the steenjy bastards are still reluctant on investment to retain the integrity of our national sport then why don't they offer free advertising to currys or any other manufacturer in return for the devices. By refusing to move the game forward all they are doing is bringing the game into disrepute

Just wait and see the outcry and backtracking should anything similar happen in the New Firm derby on Saturday. The cunts at the GFA are too wrapped up in their own self importance to give a monkeys fuck about anything that happens in football beyond the showcase cinemas

Embarrassing, isn't it?  Seem to remember what the costs were to roll out in Australian football, and it was minimal- and thats a more complex system over there.

Also not sure if you missed it, but Dundee Utd got relegated - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Firm_(Scotland)

Keep up :ok:

It's not as simple as just buying a camcorder and planting someone in the stand to record matches and then communicate with the ref....

FIFA have 4 preferred/sanctioned options (Hawkeye, GoalCam and two others... one is the special ball with sensors in it) that have to be used, and none of them are cheap..... Hawkeye (which seems to be the preferred one) alone costs £250k to install and £2k per game to run (not many clubs outside the old firm could justify spending that kind of money, and to which level should the SFA football the bill for it, given they run the whole of Scottish football)

scottish football just simply can not afford that type of luxury (in the hope that it will prove its worth in a Killie v Accies match in a few years time), and it's no surprise it's only the top leagues in Germany, England, Italy and France that use it (and the MLS scrapped it a few years back due to cost).

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

It's not as simple as just buying a camcorder and planting someone in the stand to record matches and then communicate with the ref....

FIFA have 4 preferred/sanctioned options (Hawkeye, GoalCam and two others... one is the special ball with sensors in it) that have to be used, and none of them are cheap..... Hawkeye (which seems to be the preferred one) alone costs £250k to install and £2k per game to run (not many clubs outside the old firm could justify spending that kind of money, and to which level should the SFA football the bill for it, given they run the whole of Scottish football)

scottish football just simply can not afford that type of luxury (in the hope that it will prove its worth in a Killie v Accies match in a few years time), and it's no surprise it's only the top leagues in Germany, England, Italy and France that use it (and the MLS scrapped it a few years back due to cost).

Whats the system called thats used in Australia?

30 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Whats the system called thats used in Australia?

Hawk-eye I believe.

its a dozen or so HD camera's film the action and on request, can produce a instant 3D replay of the play of the ball (Tennis uses the same technology).

Its produced by Sony and is a serious piece of kit, so asking a lot to ask teams like Hamilton Accies and Ross County to install it.

Like it or not, Regan is right that it's simply a luxury that Scottish football can not afford to put in place (our ref's and official are prone to mistakes, but it's human nature and part of the game until a more cost effective method is approved by FIFA)

Edited by wanderer

48 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Hawk-eye I believe.

its a dozen or so HD camera's film the action and on request, can produce a instant 3D replay of the play of the ball (Tennis uses the same technology).

Its produced by Sony and is a serious piece of kit, so asking a lot to ask teams like Hamilton Accies and Ross County to install it.

Like it or not, Regan is right that it's simply a luxury that Scottish football can not afford to put in place (our ref's and official are prone to mistakes, but it's human nature and part of the game until a more cost effective method is approved by FIFA)

So, you are saying we can’t use a simple camera freeze frame shot for our league if FIFA don’t approve? 

18 minutes ago, Ormond said:

So, you are saying we can’t use a simple camera freeze frame shot for our league if FIFA don’t approve? 

Yep.

As said earlier, they have 4 approved methods, and it has to be one of them used, any other method would not be approved under the rules of the game.

the cost alone basically means why there is not more nations using this (this is not simply us being cheap for the sake of it, as very few nations chose to use it... Denmark tested it out a few years ago and once their trial was up they rejected the chance to continue using it)

could be wrong, but I believe FIFA get a cut in every nation that use goalline technology (surprise, surprise.....)

Stoke had a shot against us on Boxing Day that looked for all the world a goal; in any other match it would have been given but Hawkeye ruled it was 'only' 95% over the line. They showed the pictures on the scoreboard at half-time & only a section of the ball's edge was still above the line. Although chuffed they didn't get a goal, loads of us there sort of agreed that there's a bit of the soul of football that dies when that happens. You want to go to the pub & argue forever about if it crossed or not or wind the away fans up or complain about how much the ref was paid to allow/disallow it. Having experienced it first hand for the first time, I'd cut the wires today if I could.

4 hours ago, Mee said:

Bad decisions and injustices are a big part of football and debating incidents with your mates is part of the fun. If every decision was unequivocally correct what could u argue about after the match.

This is an extremely weak argument imo 

nobody I know goes to watch the fitba so they can debate it with their mates afterwards. The correct decisions should be made so that the correct teams win, no way should things remain as they are so you and her pals can chat about it down the pub.

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

This is an extremely weak argument imo 

nobody I know goes to watch the fitba so they can debate it with their mates afterwards. The correct decisions should be made so that the correct teams win, no way should things remain as they are so you and her pals can chat about it down the pub.

Did you download that Adblock Plus?

4 hours ago, Mee said:

Bad decisions and injustices are a big part of football and debating incidents with your mates is part of the fun. If every decision was unequivocally correct what could u argue about after the match.

Goal line technology wouldn't result in bad decisions or injustices never happening, it would ensure however that if a ball crosses the line the goal is given and that is what football is about in it's purest form, scoring goals. If we can remove any potential ambiguity in terms of goals, it can only be a positive.

On 12/30/2017 at 8:48 AM, Huddersfield said:

Stoke had a shot against us on Boxing Day that looked for all the world a goal; in any other match it would have been given but Hawkeye ruled it was 'only' 95% over the line. They showed the pictures on the scoreboard at half-time & only a section of the ball's edge was still above the line. Although chuffed they didn't get a goal, loads of us there sort of agreed that there's a bit of the soul of football that dies when that happens. You want to go to the pub & argue forever about if it crossed or not or wind the away fans up or complain about how much the ref was paid to allow/disallow it. Having experienced it first hand for the first time, I'd cut the wires today if I could.

Good points but would you feel  hard done by if that goal relegated you because it was allowed to stand, or cost you a cup final ? Its progress, people generally don't like change, video referees will be next . Personally i think its a good thing, there's still plenty to moan about ;-)

9 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

How'd the cameras work in England last night?

The VAR was used, the VAR ref communicated to the ref for the 2nd goal. The goal stood. The game wasn’t delayed in anyway so all the prehistoric fans out there can rest at ease

Guest BlueGaz
On 29/12/2017 at 9:33 PM, wanderer said:

Does that get installed in a ground and then it is there/used until it is uninstalled?  or is it mobile and you shift the system around different locations as and when you need it?

2 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Does that get installed in a ground and then it is there/used until it is uninstalled?  or is it mobile and you shift the system around different locations as and when you need it?

Aye, I couldn’t understand the initial cost and cost per game?

Do you buy it or rent it? Surely if it’s rented the initial outlay isn’t so big and if you buy what’s the ongoing cost?

2 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, I couldn’t understand the initial cost and cost per game?

Do you buy it or rent it? Surely if it’s rented the initial outlay isn’t so big and if you buy what’s the ongoing cost?

Installed full team, with camera's around the ground all linked up a server in a space that is referred to as "the cube" where all the "magic happens" and you have a team of people running the system... so two or three people (who will be on a serious wage for their working time) does add up.

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Installed full team, with camera's around the ground all linked up a server in a space that is referred to as "the cube" where all the "magic happens" and you have a team of people running the system... so two or three people (who will be on a serious wage for their working time) does add up.

I’ll send them my CV.

:lol:

Guest BlueGaz
38 minutes ago, wanderer said:

:ok:

• 3 weeks later...

VAR heavily used in the Liverpool v WBA game: goal disallowed, goal awarded, penalty awarded. All decisions seemed correct but the game was held up quite a bit. Bizarre seeing the ref walk off the park to watch a telly.

Edited by Toepoke