Only An Excuse (not as funny as it used to be) - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Only An Excuse (not as funny as it used to be)

Crap Trump, crap Brendan Rogers, some pish sketch that still has Perdo Caixinha as manager of Rangers even though he was sacked months ago.

Oh and Frank "Frankie Boy" "Macca" McAvennie even though the last time he was on TV was probably last year's OAE. 

45 minutes ago, jcs said:

Was good when it 1st came out maybe I’m just gettin old n grumpy but most Scottish  tv now a days is shite burnieston if that’s what it’s called being a prime example 

Was good when Tony Roper and Alistair McGowan were involved. Since then it has gradually gone downhill. The last couple of years have been the worst with him doing a lot more non football jokes that have been garbage when there has been plenty of material available in football. Either get new people involved or quit.

I didn't think Burnistoun was that bad. Probably laughed at about a quarter of the jokes which is a lot more than most other shows going around.

4 hours ago, phart said:

Read a book :) Plenty out there.

I'd agree most times, however some people just want to feel a bit of nostalgia.  Don't underestimate it, it's way up there with that new Danish thing everyone is doing.

Edited by Mindimoo
Edit to say Hygge

I looked up Rev I M Jolly on You Tube and they had ones going right back to when Rikki was looking (relatively) quite young, even though the character always seemed ageless in a way

I had a look back at a few Scottish comedy classics, from the past, some of the jokes a bit dated. Anyone remember The High Life?

Also found Down among the Big Boys on You Tube - holds up pretty well (for those without TVs/videos?)

As well as Billy Connolly, was intriguing to see a young cop Douglas "Shetland" Henshall, and a young Ashley Hensen, as well as an ageless Alex"Taggart" Norton as a dodgy lawyer.

48 minutes ago, exile said:

I looked up Rev I M Jolly on You Tube and they had ones going right back to when Rikki was looking (relatively) quite young, even though the character always seemed ageless in a way

I had a look back at a few Scottish comedy classics, from the past, some of the jokes a bit dated. Anyone remember The High Life?

Also found Down among the Big Boys on You Tube - holds up pretty well (for those without TVs/videos?)

As well as Billy Connolly, was intriguing to see a young cop Douglas "Shetland" Henshall, and a young Ashley Hensen, as well as an ageless Alex"Taggart" Norton as a dodgy lawyer.

I remember The High Life well, I loved it. It was shown again a couple of years ago and I made the mistake of watching it. Some memories are best left in the past 🙁

No doubt they'll roll oot Souness and Denis Law along with the inevitable "where's the burdz" stuff.  Stopped being funny after the Donald Findlay karaoke episode donkeys ago.

Nostalgia - The Vital Spark (the original one) still cracks me up, especially the one where they're going to the wedding with Fulton McKay playing the minister.  Sheer genius.  Only a few episodes around noo, think they lost the tapes.

On 28 December 2017 at 11:18 AM, Toepoke said:

You've seen it already or is this your prediction?

You should've just bumped the thread from the past 10 years ;) 

No Trump but I think I did pretty well in the rest - not that it's that difficult to predict.