New scottish tax bands - Politics - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New scottish tax bands

TDYER63

24 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

In layman's terms I believe if you earn below £33000 p.a. you're paying less tax, otherwise you're paying more tax than before.

Sky News openly lying about it and having to be corrected by Nicola Sturgeon: 

Nicola SturgeonVerified account @NicolaSturgeon
FollowFollow @NicolaSturgeon
More

Nicola Sturgeon Retweeted Sky News

This is not accurate @skynews - everyone earning less than £33,000 will actually pay slightly less tax.

Nicola Sturgeon added,

Sky NewsVerified account @SkyNews
Income tax rises for people in Scotland earning over £24,000 a year http://news.sky.com/story/income-tax-rises-for-people-in-scotland-earning-over-24000-a-year-11170623 
7:22 AM - 14 Dec 2017

68 replies599 retweets786 likes

Retweet

Direct message

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

More

This is not accurate @skynews - everyone earning less than £33,000 will actually pay slightly less tax.

Nicola Sturgeon added,

Income tax rises for people in Scotland earning over £24,000 a year http://news.sky.com/story/income-tax-rises-for-people-in-scotland-earning-over-24000-a-year-11170623 

Retweet

Direct message

Funnily enough the incorrect band I posted  I got from Sky’s  initial ‘ breaking news ‘! 

Something had to be done. I take a bit of a financial hit (need to calculate exact amount) but it will be worth it if the money is well spent on protecting and improving the public sector.

I'd love to see a proper overhaul of the tax bands by placing them at 0%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40% and 50% but no party is going to consider that idea apart from the Greens.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

More

Nicola Sturgeon added,

Retweet

Direct message

To be fair, it's mostly spin from Sturgeon - the SNP are trying to take credit for the Tory rise in the personal allowance from £11,500 to £11,850.

Looking only at the SNP adjustments, the 19% band will save a taxpayer a maximum of £20/year. The 21% band will recoup at least that from everyone earning £26k or more. Anyone earning £26k or more will pay more tax as a result of the Scottish budget.

29 minutes ago, min said:

To be fair, it's mostly spin from Sturgeon - the SNP are trying to take credit for the Tory rise in the personal allowance from £11,500 to £11,850.

Looking only at the SNP adjustments, the 19% band will save a taxpayer a maximum of £20/year. The 21% band will recoup at least that from everyone earning £26k or more. Anyone earning £26k or more will pay more tax as a result of the Scottish budget.

That's an interesting spin but unfortunately isn't correct.  The threshold over which people will pay more tax than they currently do is £33k, not £26k.

Coveniently most of the MSM seem to be omitting taking the personal tax free allowance into account when they are spouting the £24,000 figure

Edited by Ally Bongo

It's just tinkering around the edges really and anybody who can be bothered to work out what it actually means to them will very quickly realise that. But it's probably are far as they can realistically go. The Westminster Tories "gave" them this income tax "power" as a trap that they hoped the SNP would dive head first into. So far they have resisted that temptation. They have snaffled the tiny amount of crumbs left lying around the trap without being daft enough to sink their teeth into the bait. I just hope they don't risk going any further than this in future budgets. They can't afford to risk pushing it too far.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

That's an interesting spin but unfortunately isn't correct.  The threshold over which people will pay more tax than they currently do is £33k, not £26k.

No spin at all and 100% correct, I'm merely separating the impact that the Westminster and Holyrood budgets will have on the Scottish tax payer, something the SNP are reluctant to do.

I am all for a progressive tax system, but despise rhe disingenuous politician speak surrounding these announcements.

One thing is indisputable - people in Scotland earning £26k+ will, from April, be paying more tax than those on the same salary elsewhere in the UK.

1 hour ago, min said:

No spin at all and 100% correct, I'm merely separating the impact that the Westminster and Holyrood budgets will have on the Scottish tax payer, something the SNP are reluctant to do.

I am all for a progressive tax system, but despise rhe disingenuous politician speak surrounding these announcements.

One thing is indisputable - people in Scotland earning £26k+ will, from April, be paying more tax than those on the same salary elsewhere in the UK.

A fact you conveniently omitted from your original post - a bit disingenuous yourself, IMHO - hence the spin.

If we're comparing against the rest of the UK then you'll accept that for the majority of Scottish taxpayers they will pay less tax than if they were elsewhere in the UK.

Of course setting the personal allowance is not something the Scottish Government can do anything about as that is reserved however what they have effectively done - with the introduction of the new starter rate is to put about an extra £100 on the personal allowance for anyone earning £13850 or more.    To suggest that the increased personal allowance is some sort of present from the UK government is incorrect, its the Scottish goverment that has to deal with the impact of that but for which it has no control.

So in fact what has happened is that the SG has - effectively - raised the personal allowance by a greater amount than the UK government.

If say you are on £40,000, you'll pay more in tax next year.   In perspective, the amount is small compared to the real impact from inflation that is substantially due to "quantitative easing" and brexit's hit on the £.

10s of £s versus over £1,000.

On 12/14/2017 at 7:40 PM, min said:

Would that be "income" tax you're singling out?

Or have you taken into account Bridge Tax, Council Tax, Tertiary Education Tax, Illness Tax, Water Supply Tax, Optician's Test Tax, Dental Tax?