Euro2020 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro2020

Chris frae Killie

5 hours ago, bisland boy said:

Would mean if Scotland & England both qualify, whoever gets the home game between the two will get to play all 3 games at home as if it was at Hampden, England's other two games would be at Wembley so we would be in the alternative fixtures those days at Hampden, with the 24 team format and possibility of 3 home games won't get a better chance to qualify and then even make the knockout stages

I don't think that's the case.

Each host nation will play 2 home games. The way I read it is Scotland would play two games at Hampden and one at Wembley. England will play two games at Wembley and one at Hampden. That is of course if we both qualify.

22 minutes ago, tartanpar said:

Each host nation will play 2 home games. The way I read it is Scotland would play two games at Hampden and one at Wembley. England will play two games at Wembley and one at Hampden. That is of course if we both qualify.

No,  think it says at least two games at home, if two teams in group are both hosts, whoever has the home game between the two teams will have all 3 games at home, for example, in our case, with the group being at Wembley and Hampden, if Scotland were playing England at Hampden the other two teams in the group would be playing their fixture that day at Wembley, as England would be guaranteed their other two games at Wembley, the other two games in the group would be at Hampden giving us 3 home games

12 hours ago, tartanpar said:

I thought that to, but reading uefa.com now it does say a minimum of 2 games. Unless they have changed the wording now the venues have been paired.

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:16 PM, Grim Jim said:

Thank feck they appear to have ditched this format for 2024.   Looks like it's between Germany & Turkey for hosts?

Prefer with this format if host cities countries automatically qualified

very real chance with our qualification form we will be watching, even gb isles , nations and their fans

was that a wise move by sfa

surely stating that this could be even more difficult than last euros for our fans

8 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Prefer with this format if host cities countries automatically qualified

very real chance with our qualification form we will be watching, even gb isles , nations and their fans

was that a wise move by sfa

surely stating that this could be even more difficult than last euros for our fans

If we can't  qualify through the league of nations,  we should give up.

29 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

If we can't  qualify through the league of nations,  we should give up.

not fully up to speed but if we're looking to come top of a section against like teams. Way we capitulated away in Slovenia was horrifying

• 2 months later...
On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 5:39 PM, bisland boy said:

Would mean if Scotland & England both qualify, whoever gets the home game between the two will get to play all 3 games at home as if it was at Hampden, England's other two games would be at Wembley so we would be in the alternative fixtures those days at Hampden, with the 24 team format and possibility of 3 home games won't get a better chance to qualify and then even make the knockout stages

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 11:09 PM, tartanpar said:

Would be bizarre if we end up playing England at Hampden and somebody like Iceland at Wembley!

We need to make this tournament though, unthinkable to miss out on.

16 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Unthinkable indeed but we are very capable of finding a way to miss out. Bloody Hell, surely not?

I’m confident we’ll qualify for this one. We have to. 

If we don’t, I’m going on holiday to Australia for a month while it’s on. :lol:

England are favourites to win it in my opinion. Two group games at Wembley and one at Hampden and the semis and final are at Wembley. Hopefully they’ll get put out in the second round or quarters because if they get to the semis they’ll be dangerous. 

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Would be bizarre if we end up playing England at Hampden and somebody like Iceland at Wembley!

We need to make this tournament though, unthinkable to miss out on.

I don’t think that can happen. The only team we could play at Wembley would be England. 

If we both qualify, one of us will play all three games at home and the other will play two at home and one away. A draw will decide where the game is played.

On 07/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, Toepoke said:

Surprised Cardiff's not been made the alternative to Brussels seeing as Wembley wasn't meant to host games til the latter stages.

Cardiff would've been a much better option than more games at Wembley. The whole point of the pan-European tournament was to share games around, not to keep the championships in as few countries as possible. They were the highest voted bid that failed too, so it would've only been fair. They evidently didn't want to have Scotland and Wales confirmed in the same group.

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

Cardiff would've been a much better option than more games at Wembley. The whole point of the pan-European tournament was to share games around, not to keep the championships in as few countries as possible. They were the highest voted bid that failed too, so it would've only been fair. They evidently didn't want to have Scotland and Wales confirmed in the same group.

It was an odd decision.

Maybe they thought three British countries hosting it was too much? 

Not sure why they wouldn’t want Wales and Scotland in the same group. I doubt we’d be in the same pot for the draw. 

On 31/12/2017 at 8:41 PM, Grim Jim said:

Hope I've got this right.   We need to beat one number 2 + a number 3 + a 4 (or nobody).   That puts us into a backup play-off if we don't get through normal 2020 qualifying?

5oa904.png

Correct - assuming we don't qualify through the standard qualifying process. Given that we've just beaten Hungary and got four points off of Slovenia in the last qualifiers, there's a good chance that we could win those play-offs.

If we do win our group, we'll be in third seeds for the main qualifiers, with the top two automatically qualifying.

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It was an odd decision.

Maybe they thought three British countries hosting it was too much? 

Not sure why they wouldn’t want Wales and Scotland in the same group. I doubt we’d be in the same pot for the draw. 

Assuming all the hosts qualify, you'd have:

• Italy and Azerbaijan
  • Russia and Denmark
  • Netherlands and Romania
  • England and Scotland
  • Spain and Ireland
  • Germany and Hungary

That's a side that's usually going to be in the higher pots and a side that would usually be in the lower pots. I don't really see what difference it makes to have Wales and Scotland, but perhaps they just thought that there's a chance both would be in the same pot or whatever.

Perhaps you're right that having three British countries, plus Ireland was a bit too much. Would've been better to have a different country hosting games for these Euros though, even if games were held in France again.

8 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Assuming all the hosts qualify, you'd have:

• Italy and Azerbaijan
  • Russia and Denmark
  • Netherlands and Romania
  • England and Scotland
  • Spain and Ireland
  • Germany and Hungary

That's a side that's usually going to be in the higher pots and a side that would usually be in the lower pots. I don't really see what difference it makes to have Wales and Scotland, but perhaps they just thought that there's a chance both would be in the same pot or whatever.

Perhaps you're right that having three British countries, plus Ireland was a bit too much. Would've been better to have a different country hosting games for these Euros though, even if games were held in France again.

You’re right, I haven’t actually looked at the pairings closely apart from Scotland and England.

Not sure Russia are bound to be in one of the higher pots but the other ones make sense. 

I’d be raging if I was Welsh. Mind you, at least their fans will probably get a trip abroad if they qualify. The best we’ll get is a trip to London (again) and a couple of nights in the Iron Horse. :lol: