SSC Renewals - Page 27 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SSC Renewals

slasher

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Either that or they’re real fans that will support the team through thick and thin? 

Just my opinion. 

If you mean that only by being a member makes someone a real fan.

The majority of Scotland fans are not and never have been STC/SSC members.

Someone who's been a member since 1992 (did it actually exist then ?) but now decides to not pay for the ( relatively meaningless) privilege is hardly a "fake" fan.

Or are you fishing and I've just taken the bait ? :)

1 minute ago, fringo said:

If you mean that only by being a member makes someone a real fan.

The majority of Scotland fans are not and never have been STC/SSC members.

Someone who's been a member since 1992 (did it actually exist then ?) but now decides to not pay for the ( relatively meaningless) privilege is hardly a "fake" fan.

Or are you fishing and I've just taken the bait ? :)

No, not fishing.

I didn’t mean that those not renewing are not real fans though. I just meant those that do renew are certainly real fans and probably want to go to away games without fannying about trying to get home end tickets.

If someone doesn’t want to renew for whatever reason then that’s up to them. Why insult others who do though?

I was just a bit peeved at being called a mug if I’m being honest. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

No, not fishing.

I didn’t mean that those not renewing are not real fans though. I just meant those that do renew are certainly real fans and probably want to go to away games without fannying about trying to get home end tickets.

If someone doesn’t want to renew for whatever reason then that’s up to them. Why insult others who do though?

Fair enough. I didn't really pick up on that and maybe missed the build up of posts to that moment.

Each to their own for renewing etc. I gave up my membership 2 years ago after about 18 years.

It just didn't feel worthwhile anymore on top of the way the SFA were creaming fans/members in the recent years leading up to that.

6 minutes ago, fringo said:

Fair enough. I didn't really pick up on that and maybe missed the build up of posts to that moment.

Each to their own for renewing etc. I gave up my membership 2 years ago after about 18 years.

It just didn't feel worthwhile anymore on top of the way the SFA were creaming fans/members in the recent years leading up to that.

I know a good few folk that haven’t renewed either two years ago or this time and I understand why. There’s really no need to be a member these days if you don’t go to away games. 

I will probably always renew as I do travel and I always get the season ticket. I don’t think I’m any better a fan than those that don’t though. I probably could have worded my post better but the red mist had descended. :lol:

40 minutes ago, fringo said:

The SFA formed the Scotland Travel Club in the 80s and that was what it was known as until 2006 when it became the SSC

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I was more annoyed by the SFA's fvcking meme which really grinded my gears

Apologies

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The SFA formed the Scotland Travel Club in the 80s and that was what it was known as until 2006 when it became the SSC

I was more annoyed by the SFA's fvcking meme which really grinded my gears

Apologies

Fair enough. 

I just don’t bother reading their pish anymore. 

I don’t even read their emails unless there’s a game coming up or the renewals are due. 

5 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Have they scrapped the gift/s?

No mention of it. There can’t be a t-shirt anyway as they didn’t ask for a size. 

Not that I’m particularly bothered as badges, pins and key rings aren’t my thing and the t-shirts can be hit and miss.

People who collect these things may not be happy though.

Hit or miss? Yes, very.

There have been some good gifts... the DVD of the 2006-2007 qualifying campaign and the cotton 60's and '78 style shirts spring to mind, but there has been a lot of tat (for example, the plastic pin badges and the polyester scarf we received).

They've reduced the price (good news) but for the price they have set, there should probably still be a gift.

To put it into context, I pay about the same to a band for access to tickets and today I received a pack of 4x10" vinyl's, which are only available to members; even if you don't have a record player, you get the downloads too and the vinyls will fetch a handsome price in 5+ years.

I've no problem with the SSC ditching the gifts, but I do wonder if the cost of membership could have been reduced further.

If the SSC are bulk ordering 30,000 items then it's fair to say the unit costs are very low. The saving is probably less than the reduced membership prices.

As they didn't ask for sizes that doesn't mean we won't receive some tat. The badge collection for a completed campaign and the scarf (made in some Far East country) are top of my list for useless tat.

Think I still have my tie from joining the STC back in the day. Not sure I've ever worn it. 

13 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

If the SSC are bulk ordering 30,000 items then it's fair to say the unit costs are very low. The saving is probably less than the reduced membership prices.

As they didn't ask for sizes that doesn't mean we won't receive some tat. The badge collection for a completed campaign and the scarf (made in some Far East country) are top of my list for useless tat.

Think I still have my tie from joining the STC back in the day. Not sure I've ever worn it. 

They didn’t charge for p&p so any tat will need to be very light/small. 

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Hit or miss? Yes, very.

There have been some good gifts... the DVD of the 2006-2007 qualifying campaign and the cotton 60's and '78 style shirts spring to mind, but there has been a lot of tat (for example, the plastic pin badges and the polyester scarf we received).

They've reduced the price (good news) but for the price they have set, there should probably still be a gift.

To put it into context, I pay about the same to a band for access to tickets and today I received a pack of 4x10" vinyl's, which are only available to members; even if you don't have a record player, you get the downloads too and the vinyls will fetch a handsome price in 5+ years.

I've no problem with the SSC ditching the gifts, but I do wonder if the cost of membership could have been reduced further.

I doubt a t-shirt and pin wouldn’t have cost them much more than a fiver when bought in bulk. 

I have a feeling the price reduction is more to do with the fact that members are no longer guaranteed a home ticket rather than the removal of a membership pack. 

24 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

Ah, the STC tie...

I still have mine - still in its cellophane wrapper.

They gave you a choice of a scarf or the tie and I already had a scarf.

Little did I know when I opted for the tie that it was so old fashioned (even then) and I would need to wait another 50 years before I could ever wear it.

It will come in very handy if I join a bowling club in 30 years time.