SSC Renewals - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SSC Renewals

slasher

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

My suggestion about the ballot was simply to try and give people who were desperate to get a ticket,  but cant get away to matches regularly to build up points,  a chance to get to a match.  Like a wild card. I thought if a small percentage were allocated it would help.  

TDYER63, this is not aimed at you directly; I'm just using your post...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the points system and tickets have been available to zero/low pointers for many matches...

(I haven't read all of this thread, but can someone post a list of recent matches, which have gone down to nil pointers?)

If any nil/low pointer think ditching the points system is wise, your absolutely f*cking mad.

Why?

Because as it stands, you at least have an idea of your chances of a ticket BEFORE YOU BOOK A FLIGHT.

If you are a low pointer and such 'n' such a match is announced, you can then consider how popular this match will or won't be and where they're likely to play it and you can make a fairly well informed decision on whether you'll get an SSC ticket or not and therefore decide whether to book that flight or not.

I cannot attend Hungary, Peru or Mexico, so I'll be dropping those points.

I cannot get the time off work - tough.

And I'm having to soon move out of my rented flat (which was a good deal) and my rent somewhere else will increase significantly - tough.

Loads of games have gone to nil pointers.

Try applying for tickets for a November friendly against Luxembourg instead of a qualifier against Germany in Dortmund.

We all started on zero and in most cases, we sacrificed other things in order to do these trips.

We got on the ladder; you can too.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I wish you would stop saying that.  It is not easy to build up points unless you have the money. Those of you saying you make sacrifices obviously do have the money.

Basically over the last few years the suits have told us we can only go to away games if we have a certain income.

Some one said regarding 10% tickets left for a ballot would lead to some people with points  disappointed  well you can only be disappointed if you have hope. There are a lot of Fans that will never have any hope of going to competitive away games

But its true & you know that. Travelling abroad is cheaper than ever. We flew to Bratislava for £9-99 rtn & both trips to Poland were £19-99 rtn.

Its dearer on the train to Glasgow !!

Just now, scottincarlisle said:

But its true & you know that. Travelling abroad is cheaper than ever. We flew to Bratislava for £9-99 rtn & both trips to Poland were £19-99 rtn.

Its dearer on the train to Glasgow !!

Might be true but I didn't know it honestly. If it's that easy then home games should count the same as away;)

9 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

How do Celtic or rangers do it or England for that matter

Can't speak for the zombies but Celtic's away tickets are done in the same way, those who go to the most games get first dibs for bigger games.

Now that we've sold more season tickets, and have Ibrox, Tynecastle and Easter road back in the top flight, we have the same problem with folk moaning that it isn't fair they can't get tickets despite the fact that they could have for on the ladder under Ronnie Deila very easily.

11 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Can't speak for the zombies but Celtic's away tickets are done in the same way, those who go to the most games get first dibs for bigger games.

Now that we've sold more season tickets, and have Ibrox, Tynecastle and Easter road back in the top flight, we have the same problem with folk moaning that it isn't fair they can't get tickets despite the fact that they could have for on the ladder under Ronnie Deila very easily.

Do you need to be a season ticket holder to get away game tickets?

13 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Agree with Alan 100% . Points system needs to come into the 21st. century.

When did the points system come in , wasn't there for most of the Marjory Nimmo tenure  when it was called The Scotland Travel Club ?

The points system started just after the 98 WC.

14 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

As has been said ad nauseam on this thread, everybody in the travel club started on 0 points at one stage. As I've already pointed out it's less a question of disposable income, and more to do with how high up your list of priorities following Scotland on away trips is.

There is no right or wrong answer here, other than the away points system is what it is and it works perfectly well as it stands. Sorry that it doesn't work for you, but your assertion about level of disposable income does not stand up to much scrutiny. 

spot on mate ...every excuse under the sun gets spouted on here for missing games, closely followed by 'only the suits get to go to the big games' ....get real.

I agree Barney, the current system works just fine. The more games you go to, the more chance you have of getting a ticket.

I started on zero points. I've missed out on games by not having enough points. I accept that 

On 2/2/2018 at 9:53 AM, Barney Rubble said:

If they want to encourage folk to buy home tickets then they could start by reviewing their abject failure of a pricing policy for home games, which has seen one sell-out in the last 10 years.

As for away games, there are many reasons why fellow fans exercise their freedom of choice to prioritise them over home games - limited annual leave entitlement, their location in the globe, and better value for money going to away games due to the failed pricing policy mentioned above for starters.

There's nothing wrong with the current system - if they try tinkering with it to include home games, they will create an administrative monster for themselves.

I agree with you about the pricing strategy. They are not very good at that. But that shouldn't surprise us, as the SFA are not very good at anything much.

It wouldn't be an administrative monster. They already collect all that information. If you log into your SSC account you can see your own purchase history. They already employ somebody to input all that data. It's just one big spreadsheet with up to 30,000 names and columns for 10 home games and 10 away games. Piece of piss really. A 10 year old could do it on their phone.

13 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

TDYER63, this is not aimed at you directly; I'm just using your post...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the points system and tickets have been available to zero/low pointers for many matches...

(I haven't read all of this thread, but can someone post a list of recent matches, which have gone down to nil pointers?)

If any nil/low pointer think ditching the points system is wise, your absolutely f*cking mad.

Why?

Because as it stands, you at least have an idea of your chances of a ticket BEFORE YOU BOOK A FLIGHT.

If you are a low pointer and such 'n' such a match is announced, you can then consider how popular this match will or won't be and where they're likely to play it and you can make a fairly well informed decision on whether you'll get an SSC ticket or not and therefore decide whether to book that flight or not.

I cannot attend Hungary, Peru or Mexico, so I'll be dropping those points.

I cannot get the time off work - tough.

And I'm having to soon move out of my rented flat (which was a good deal) and my rent somewhere else will increase significantly - tough.

Loads of games have gone to nil pointers.

Try applying for tickets for a November friendly against Luxembourg instead of a qualifier against Germany in Dortmund.

We all started on zero and in most cases, we sacrificed other things in order to do these trips.

We got on the ladder; you can too.

No offence taken Rich Nata. I am sitting here licking my wounds and egg and bacon roll.

Just as well I was too distracted by Carla Connors kidney dilemma last night or I would have been out on the streets with my rifle,  hunting down the lot of you. Ormond and Barney Rubble in particular 🙂

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

No offence taken Rich Nata. I am sitting here licking my wounds and egg and bacon roll.

Just as well I was too distracted by Carla Connors kidney dilemma last night or I would have been out on the streets with my rifle,  hunting down the lot of you. Ormond and Barney Rubble in particular 🙂

You must be a couple of episodes behind. Her funeral is a good laugh. Daft Kirkie falls doon the hole. 

3 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Yes.

I think it should be similar for Scotland games. By buying a season ticket for Celtic you are effectively buying tickets for all the home games. That gives you the chance of tickets for away games. If you buy tickets for all the Scotland home games you should have the best chance for getting away tickets. The way it works at present allows folk who go to most away games but very few home games to get the first chance of away tickets. For me, that's the wrong way round. Reward folk who buy tickets for home games by giving them a better chance of getting away tickets. 

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think it should be similar for Scotland games. By buying a season ticket for Celtic you are effectively buying tickets for all the home games. That gives you the chance of tickets for away games. If you buy tickets for all the Scotland home games you should have the best chance for getting away tickets. The way it works at present allows folk who go to most away games but very few home games to get the first chance of away tickets. For me, that's the wrong way round. Reward folk who buy tickets for home games by giving them a better chance of getting away tickets. 

What should buying Scotland home tickets give you any chance at all of getting away tickets? The two are separate categories of fixtures. 

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

What should buying Scotland home tickets give you any chance at all of getting away tickets? The two are separate categories of fixtures. 

$FA   ...well maybe not.   Won't make much difference to the home gate.

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

They’re not separate categories of fixtures - if I’ve understood what you mean by that correctly - they’re both about watching Scotland play football. If there are seriously any Scotland-based supporters who only go to away games then I find that a bit strange. They’d be the only ones who’d lose out in any system that rewards attendance at home games as surely - surely? - supporters who are interested enough to go support the team away from home also care enough to go to hampden as well? If not then the ssc is really just a glorified travel agency and I can’t believe that it should really be run for the purpose.

2 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

They’re not separate categories of fixtures - if I’ve understood what you mean by that correctly - they’re both about watching Scotland play football. If there are seriously any Scotland-based supporters who only go to away games then I find that a bit strange. They’d be the only ones who’d lose out in any system that rewards attendance at home games as surely - surely? - supporters who are interested enough to go support the team away from home also care enough to go to hampden as well? If not then the ssc is really just a glorified travel agency and I can’t believe that it should really be run for the purpose.

With respect to you, that's a blanket assertion and a simplistic view.

The reality is that home fixtures and away fixtures are different categories. They have been treated as such by the SFA since the advent of the travel club last century.

Yes, there are people based in Scotland who attend only away games nowadays due to the SFA'a rip-off pricing strategy for home games, and some people from the outlying areas of Scotland prefer to use their available leave time to travel to away games. That's their choice and they are well within their rights to exercise it.

Similarly, there are many of us who are based overseas who choose away games over home games for reasons of cost and time.

In reality, it's not as black and white as you are trying to make it out to be.

I don’t think theres any problem with the system as is. That said I wouldn’t have any problem with the holding back say 50 tickets for zero pointers for a game that was oversubscribed. My issue is that the membership is overpriced. Get rid of the tat and the offers and cut the cost!

3 minutes ago, slasher said:

I don’t think theres any problem with the system as is. That said I wouldn’t have any problem with the holding back say 50 tickets for zero pointers for a game that was oversubscribed. My issue is that the membership is overpriced. Get rid of the tat and the offers and cut the cost!

^^^^^

This in spades.

So if we ever get to a finals again (stop laughing at the back), are those advocating keeping the system as it is ok with someone who potentially hasn’t set foot in hampden in 20 years but has been to a couple of away games recently getting tickets for a the finals ahead of someone who has been to every home game? Doesn’t seem fair to me and it’s even worse when you consider that any away game only people contribute about £25 per year to the sfa, whereas those who buy home game tickets contribute a hell of a lot more.

1 minute ago, wee-toon-red said:

So if we ever get to a finals again (stop laughing at the back), are those advocating keeping the system as it is ok with someone who potentially hasn’t set foot in hampden in 20 years but has been to a couple of away games recently getting tickets for a the finals ahead of someone who has been to every home game? Doesn’t seem fair to me and it’s even worse when you consider that any away game only people contribute about £25 per year to the sfa, whereas those who buy home game tickets contribute a hell of a lot more.

You don't get it do you?

When the laughter at the back has finally died down, you'll realise that it will take more than a couple of away points to guarantee tickets to games in the finals. But then you may not have been around in 1998.

As an aside, my Belgian colleague who is a member of their travel club and has booked for the England game in St Petersburg tells me that the entire Belgian FA allocation for that game is 700. 

Of which 58 are going to Belgian Travel club members.......................

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

You don't get it do you?

When the laughter at the back has finally died down, you'll realise that it will take more than a couple of away points to guarantee tickets to games in the finals. But then you may not have been around in 1998.

As an aside, my Belgian colleague who is a member of their travel club and has booked for the England game in St Petersburg tells me that the entire Belgian FA allocation for that game is 700. 

Of which 58 are going to Belgian Travel club members.......................

I get it - those who the system currently suits don’t want it changed, whereas those who don’t like it at the moment want it to be different.

forget whether it’s two or ten points that Mr never goes to hampden has, they still shouldn’t have any more right to a finals ticket than mrs goes to all the home games so the system needs to be changed in some way to accommodate both.

2 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

I get it - those who the system currently suits don’t want it changed, whereas those who don’t like it at the moment want it to be different.

forget whether it’s two or ten points that Mr never goes to hampden has, they still shouldn’t have any more right to a finals ticket than mrs goes to all the home games so the system needs to be changed in some way to accommodate both.

Disagree because there is a system already in place and the rules are clear and easy to implement.

In any event, your hypothesis of finals tickets is up there with Dembele and Morelos ever attracting 40m and 10m respectively.