10 years since..... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

10 years since.....

Tartan Chris

17th November 2007, Hampden Park, Scotland 1 Italy 2.

Remains the nearest Scotland have been to reaching a major tournament in over a decade.

A reminder, a win and Scotland would've gone to euro 2008, no play offs in that qualifying section.

Scotland: Gordon, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Naysmith, Brown (Miller 74), Fletcher, Hartley, Ferguson, McCulloch (Boyd 90), McFadden.
Subs Not Used: McGregor, Alexander, Caldwell, Pearson, Robson.

Booked: Naysmith, McCulloch.

Goal: Ferguson 65.

Italy: Buffon, Panucci, Cannavaro, Barzagli, Zambrotta, Camoranesi (Chiellini 83), Gattuso (De Rossi 87), Pirlo, Ambrosini, Di Natale (Iaquinta 68), Toni.
Subs Not Used: Amelia, Oddo, Perrotta, Gilardino.

Booked: Toni.

Goals: Toni 2, Panucci 90.

Att: 51,301

Ref: Manuel Enrique Mejuto Gonzalez (Spain)

Looking at that I was always under the impression Kenny Miller had started. Probably confusing it with the 2005 game when he ran off Cannavaro and scored with a near post header.

He was pretty good as a lone striker that campaign so error from McLeish to go with McFadden as lone striker that day particularly as he only became influential when he dropped deeper later on in the game. Everyone of course still remembers when he hit the side netting at 1-1.

Of course some odd reffing that day. The winning goal and ridiculous free kick award everyone remembers, less so Barry Ferguson was a yard offside for the equaliser...

Was a really good mix in that team and nice balance particularly in midfield. Hartley did a good job holding and McCulloch chipped in with some important goals in that period.

Really emphasizes to me the 2010 and 2012 campaigns were squandered through poor managerial appointments as most of the squad were available for those campaigns.

McFadden had played lone striker in the two wins over France so I'm not sure if that influenced the decision. We certainly looked more of a threat when Miller came on though.

Re the officials they were indeed terrible, just before the move that led to the winning goal I think Naysmith was clearly fouled and they gave an Italian throw. IIRC Italy had a perfectly good goal chalked off for offside in the 1st half mind you.

Atmosphere was incredible that night, 5pm Saturday kick off saw to that, although it was too much for some. I recall walking past some casualties on the way to Hampden too pissed to make it despite holding tickets which were worth £100s by that stage.  Didn't go into town after but apparently it was pretty tousy.

Personally I was stone cold, the missus was a couple of days away from giving birth and I was a phone call away from bailing out of the stadium...

Edited by Toepoke

23 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

17th November 2007, Hampden Park, Scotland 1 Italy 2.

Remains the nearest Scotland have been to reaching a major tournament in over a decade.

A reminder, a win and Scotland would've gone to euro 2008, no play offs in that qualifying section.

Scotland: Gordon, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Naysmith, Brown (Miller 74), Fletcher, Hartley, Ferguson, McCulloch (Boyd 90), McFadden.
Subs Not Used: McGregor, Alexander, Caldwell, Pearson, Robson.

Booked: Naysmith, McCulloch.

Goal: Ferguson 65.

Italy: Buffon, Panucci, Cannavaro, Barzagli, Zambrotta, Camoranesi (Chiellini 83), Gattuso (De Rossi 87), Pirlo, Ambrosini, Di Natale (Iaquinta 68), Toni.
Subs Not Used: Amelia, Oddo, Perrotta, Gilardino.

Booked: Toni.

Goals: Toni 2, Panucci 90.

Att: 51,301

Ref: Manuel Enrique Mejuto Gonzalez (Spain)

Looking at that I was always under the impression Kenny Miller had started. Probably confusing it with the 2005 game when he ran off Cannavaro and scored with a near post header.

He was pretty good as a lone striker that campaign so error from McLeish to go with McFadden as lone striker that day particularly as he only became influential when he dropped deeper later on in the game. Everyone of course still remembers when he hit the side netting at 1-1.

Of course some odd reffing that day. The winning goal and ridiculous free kick award everyone remembers, less so Barry Ferguson was a yard offside for the equaliser...

Was a really good mix in that team and nice balance particularly in midfield. Hartley did a good job holding and McCulloch chipped in with some important goals in that period.

Really emphasizes to me the 2010 and 2012 campaigns were squandered through poor managerial appointments as most of the squad were available for those campaigns.

The team was playing really well at that point (Georgia away notwithstanding!). 

It was a good squad too but not so good that it was un-fuckupable.  For that reason, for me, George Burley just pips Craig Levein to the title of worst Scotland manager in my lifetime - he took a team on the up and took them down; Levein kept them there.

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Terrible and corrupt reffing.  How that free kick can be awarded to Italy is unimaginable.  They must be incredibly bad now that not even fifa can help them to the World Cup.

It looks no better ten years on, does it?  :lol:

It really does makes you wonder about corruption.  In the Italy v Sweden game the other night the referee managed to find 5 minutes of injury time from somewhere.  Not that it did Italy any good, as it turned out.

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

It was a good squad too but not so good that it was un-fuckupable.  For that reason, for me, George Burley just pips Craig Levein to the title of worst Scotland manager in my lifetime - he took a team on the up and took them down; Levein kept them there.

It really does makes you wonder about corruption.  In the Italy v Sweden game the other night the referee managed to find 5 minutes of injury time from somewhere.  Not that it did Italy any good, as it turned out.

Levein was better than Burley. His win ratio (albeit boosted by friendly results), and the fact there was a crumb of organisation in his tactics are his plus points. In comparison, Burley was just utter, utter chaos and wild aspirations to play expansive football without having the managerial acumen to pull it off.

30 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Levein was better than Burley. His win ratio (albeit boosted by friendly results), and the fact there was a crumb of organisation in his tactics are his plus points. In comparison, Burley was just utter, utter chaos and wild aspirations to play expansive football without having the managerial acumen to pull it off.

They were both terrible but I would go for Levein as being the worst, superior win ratio or not.

Did Burley start a game with no strikers? Or was he manager when we were the first team eliminated from the World Cup qualifiers? 

Does it really matter though? Arguing over which of those two was the worst Scotland manager is like arguing about whether you would prefer to eat dog shite or cat shite. 

22 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Does it really matter though? Arguing over which of those two was the worst Scotland manager is like arguing about whether you would prefer to eat dog shite or cat shite. 

Except that this is a forum about the Scotland football team rather than about the culinary appeal of pet shit. You could always open a thread in Anything Goes ...

22 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Well, I understand metaphor well enough to know that you were using a simile. :)

Anyroad, back on topic - Burley had the better dress sense.

You got me there. 

You’re just taking the piss now. Levein was always turned out in a suit and Burley wore training gear. 

Whose wife is better looking? That’s the most important question. 

20 hours ago, scotlad said:

On 17 November 2017 at 6:48 PM, scottincarlisle said:

You've got to admit it was a clear foul by Hutton :D

So fcukin annoyed by that decision I sent an email, might even have been a letter to Fifa  telling them the referee was corrupt 

On 17/11/2017 at 6:12 PM, scottincarlisle said:

The atmosphere in the 2nd half was brilliant. 

There was a fair bit of bother on the train home that night.

Have always heard there was s fair bit of bother in town that night, can't say I witnessed any myself ? Also don't remember too many Italians at the game either

Edited by glasgow jock

Is there a video of the whole game anywhere, not just highlights?

I came away with the impression that the ref was bought, and not just from that free kick.   I've never seen the game on TV however to check again.

Didn't see any bother in town, but we went to a pretty empty Italian restaurant.   Staff seemed a bit taken aback at first!

8 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Have always heard there was s fair bit of bother in town that night, can't say I witnessed any myself ? Also don't remember too many Italians at the game either

4 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Didn't see any bother in town, but we went to a pretty empty Italian restaurant.   Staff seemed a bit taken aback at first!

Apart from a bit of bother on the train there was a bit of fisty cuffs in the chippy near Central station. Then in the pub in the station there were a few Italians getting picked on.

2007 was the best year of my life up to that point ( prob hasnt been bettered yet) and that game brought it all crashing back to normality...

My first born came along in January,  a great Scotland away trip ( Lithuania?) during my (delayed) Paternity leave....

Faddy's Goals , 

SNP winning in May.

Ukraine at Home 

Paris game away in my Campervan

The Italy game was electric  , I remember the great play ending in Faddy missing a great chance to get our second......

I sat in the stadium for ages after the game , as did many others.

It was the end of my best ever year....

Fitba Eh!!!!

19 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Is there a video of the whole game anywhere, not just highlights?

I came away with the impression that the ref was bought, and not just from that free kick.   I've never seen the game on TV however to check again.

He wasn't Anti-Scottish.

Italy had a good goal disallowed in the first half. And Ferguson was ahead of the Italian defenders when the shot went in. Both were linesman errors of course but you could argue before the Hutton incident the decisions hurt Italy more than Scotland.

It was petering out to 1-1 anyway. A draw wouldn't have been enough would it? Trying to remember what France had to do.