world cup of losers - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

world cup of losers

dan cake

20 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Are you calling half of your fellow Scotland fans losers?

Charming. 

I am indeed :ok: 

4 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

A losers World Cup would be an absolute dream for the attention seeking element of our support. the fancy dress levels would go through the roof

Haha spot on. 

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Probably need 32 teams in it to get in if it was based on highest ranked non qualified  countries?

it wont be that IMO it will be highest no of TV Viewers in each country   ......  so we will miss out as well if that was the case.....

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Have we lost more internationals than any other team in the world?

Well it will be one of the home nations as we have played more..... 

so Wales i think as it was Ireland as a whole when it first started..... and Scotland were awfy good at the beginning...

we will be second or third bottom i think......

20 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Have we lost more internationals than any other team in the world?

20 hours ago, stocky said:

Well it will be one of the home nations as we have played more..... 

so Wales i think as it was Ireland as a whole when it first started..... and Scotland were awfy good at the beginning...

we will be second or third bottom i think......

Nah, Scotland have played 762, won 361, lost 233.

Right, these must be the most meaningless stats, but there are 15 teams that have won more than 361, and 31 that have lost more than 233:

Brazil have won 607, England(+OlympicGB, sorry) 595, (West+)Germany 548, Argentina 535, S.Korea 507, Sweden 500, Mexico 452, Hungary 434, Italy 420, Uruguay 399, France 399, Spain 397, Netherlands 394, Egypt 380, Czech(oslovakia/Bohemia) 377, Denmark 365.

Finland have lost 396, Switzerland 342, Norway 337, Singapore 335, Thailand 326, Mayaysia 325, Chile 307, Luxembourg 306, Wales 302, Sweden 298, Uruguay 296, Indonesia(Dutch E.Indes) 292, Austria 285, Hungary 285, Belgium 279, Denmark 275, Paraguay 271, Malta 264, Peru 263, El Salvador 260, Trinidad+Tobago 260, Poland 260, Bulgaria 259, N.Ireland 252, France 252, (Republic+)Ireland 251, Kenya 249, USA 246, Bolivia 237, Serbia(+Montenegro/Jugoslavia) 237, Jamaica 234.

Apart from having too much time on my hands, read into that what you like!

34 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I read into it England being the world's second 'winningest nation' - a superlative adjective of which I've never been that fond, but I think I'm coming round to it.

2 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Nah, Scotland have played 762, won 361, lost 233.

Right, these must be the most meaningless stats, but there are 15 teams that have won more than 361, and 31 that have lost more than 233:

Brazil have won 607, England(+OlympicGB, sorry) 595, (West+)Germany 548, Argentina 535, S.Korea 507, Sweden 500, Mexico 452, Hungary 434, Italy 420, Uruguay 399, France 399, Spain 397, Netherlands 394, Egypt 380, Czech(oslovakia/Bohemia) 377, Denmark 365.

Finland have lost 396, Switzerland 342, Norway 337, Singapore 335, Thailand 326, Mayaysia 325, Chile 307, Luxembourg 306, Wales 302, Sweden 298, Uruguay 296, Indonesia(Dutch E.Indes) 292, Austria 285, Hungary 285, Belgium 279, Denmark 275, Paraguay 271, Malta 264, Peru 263, El Salvador 260, Trinidad+Tobago 260, Poland 260, Bulgaria 259, N.Ireland 252, France 252, (Republic+)Ireland 251, Kenya 249, USA 246, Bolivia 237, Serbia(+Montenegro/Jugoslavia) 237, Jamaica 234.

Outstanding stats!

So we just sneak into the 32 team all time losers World Cup ;)

A load of utter shite. Anyone who supports this abomination of an idea is a perennial loser and happy to play second best. 

We’ve no qualified, again! Take it on the chin, dust ourselves down and focus on the next proper tournament 👍🏼

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Bored enough to find how Denmark are in high and low. Have they drawn the least perhaps?

I guess it's because Denmark have played 801 games.

Only England (1025), Sweden, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, S.Korea, Hungary, Uruguay, Mexico, Thailand, France, Malaysia, Poland & Norway have played more.

If you love a spreadsheet, paste the tables from here and batter on :lol:
http://www.eloratings.net/world.html

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

I read into it England being the world's second 'winningest nation' - a superlative adjective of which I've never been that fond, but I think I'm coming round to it.

Pah!   Only the 4th highest win percentage (58%) after Brazil (63%), Spain & Germany.

Scotland are about 28th at 47%.   Sandwiched between Uzbekistan / Iraq  and Hungary.    There are only 18 nations on the list that are above 50% and they include Tahiti, Northern Cyprus, and New Caledonia.   That's statistics for you :o

33 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

A load of utter shite. Anyone who supports this abomination of an idea is a perennial loser and happy to play second best. 

We’ve no qualified, again! Take it on the chin, dust ourselves down and focus on the next proper tournament 👍🏼

You’re alright. You get to cream yourself over getting Poland World Cup tickets then try and tell us it’s the laddie you’re doing it for. :P:rolleyes:

Just now, Ormond said:

You’re alright. You get to cream yourself over getting Poland World Cup tickets then try and tell us it’s the laddie you’re doing it for. :P:rolleyes:

An excellent point, well made! I’ll need to take THAT one on the chin! 😆

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

I guess it's because Denmark have played 801 games.

Only England (1025), Sweden, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, S.Korea, Hungary, Uruguay, Mexico, Thailand, France, Malaysia, Poland & Norway have played more.

If you love a spreadsheet, paste the tables from here and batter on :lol:
http://www.eloratings.net/world.html

Pah!   Only the 4th highest win percentage (58%) after Brazil (63%), Spain & Germany.

Scotland are about 28th at 47%.   Sandwiched between Uzbekistan / Iraq  and Hungary.    There are only 18 nations on the list that are above 50% and they include Tahiti, Northern Cyprus, and New Caledonia.   That's statistics for you :o

Thought the home nations would have been ahead of the rest of Europe due to the head start and the home internationals or was there a Scandinavian version 

21 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Thought the home nations would have been ahead of the rest of Europe due to the head start and the home internationals or was there a Scandinavian version 

Looks like they did play their neighbours quite a bit.   http://www.eloratings.net/Denmark.htm

Something else I just noticed was that we never played outwith the Home Champs until 1929.   England were playing others from 1907 quite regularly.   I think we missed the boat to hand out a few early thumpings to the likes of Germany, Holland and France :lol:

http://www.eloratings.net/England.htm

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:54 PM, Flure said:

And jollies are bad things because.......?

They aren't.

A decent % of our away support however treat competitive away games as purely a jolly and the football is secondary. Usually the folk who'd idea of body hygiene is changing their top every 3rd day. I'm sure you know the sort I mean. It only get's worse for friendlies.

Nothing wrong with going to  support the team, I've done my fair share of daft friendlies abroad but forgive me for suggesting this kind of trip would be a waste of time.

Would make the team last week seem experienced given the number of call offs we'd get.

Edited by Squirrelhumper