world cup of losers - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

world cup of losers

dan cake

21 minutes ago, stocky said:

What if it became a Europa Cup sort of thing...

the good teams compete to  win the World Cup

The Shitier teams compete to win the ?????? Cup....

A wee bit like Champs League and Europa.....  

Nah can’t see it catching on. 

There’s really no need for it. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If FIFA can see a money making angle then some sort of spin off idea could maybe happen (like the CL & Europa Cup for UEFA) ?

Sadly, it's all about money and not football for these organisations,  whatever spin and corporate bullshit they like to vomit.

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Mibee aye , mibee naw.. 

Money...  is the need. 

Italy, USA, Netherlands etc have a lot of TV viewers......  

A wee week long Tournament...  who Knows...  

13 minutes ago, stocky said:

Mibee aye , mibee naw.. 

Money...  is the need. 

Italy, USA, Netherlands etc have a lot of TV viewers......  

A wee week long Tournament...  who Knows...  

I agree it could maybe work as a one off. 

The three big sides you have named wouldn’t normally be in it though. 

21 minutes ago, fringo said:

If FIFA can see a money making angle then some sort of spin off idea could maybe happen (like the CL & Europa Cup for UEFA) ?

Sadly, it's all about money and not football for these organisations,  whatever spin and corporate bullshit they like to vomit.

The World Cup is a ‘festival of football’ though (or whatever cringey pish they call it now).

Is there a market for a smaller, weaker tournament before 4 weeks of solid football?

Possibly in the US as I can see a lot of American ‘fans’ not bothering with the World Cup as they didn’t qualify so maybe it might work next year as a one off because it will probably make money there. 

I can’t see it being that popular in Europe though, even in the countries that are involved. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The World Cup is a ‘festival of football’ though (or whatever cringey pish they call it now).

Is there a market for a smaller, weaker tournament before 4 weeks of solid football?

Possibly in the US as I can see a lot of American ‘fans’ not bothering with the World Cup as they didn’t qualify so maybe it might work next year as a one off because it will probably make money there. 

I can’t see it being that popular in Europe though, even in the countries that are involved. 

Probably not, in which case if there's no $$$$ it wouldn't happen.

I'd love maybe a wee tourney in Scotland over the summer and for others a wee summer trip here e.g.  with fans from Ireland, Netherlands. Italy , USA etc .

Wouldn't be big though, just a series of friendlies for some of us to get over the fact we haven't qualified (again). :(

If it were in Scotland you could get at least mediocre crowds but not sure about travelling fans unless they made a wee holiday to Scotland with football thrown in.

It would almost certainly be a Scotland squad with no Celtic players who went, potentially more than half the 1st choice 11, so a complete waste of time. You could probably add Aberdeen and Rangers players to that too given how early the Europa league qualifiers start now.

A terrible idea that would serve little benefit other than a jolly for a few folk.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Play In the USA , the Italian and Irish invited at least as there is a massive diaspora there....  A south American team as well...   i cannae see Scotland even getting an Invite TBH.....

25 minutes ago, stocky said:

Play In the USA , the Italian and Irish invited at least as there is a massive diaspora there....  A south American team as well...   i cannae see Scotland even getting an Invite TBH.....

There are lots of people of Scots descent in the US as well (not as many as Italy or Ireland obviously) but how many of them (including Italians and Irish) would be interested? Not that many I’m guessing but if it’s on an invitation basis then we’ll get an invite.

We have one of the biggest traveling supports anywhere in the world, of any sport. If you factor in our small population and how shite we are, it really is incredible how many people we take to away games. Do you think the tournament organisers would want to miss out on our bums on their seats? 

48 minutes ago, stocky said:

That's why i had to expand the group to 16 above but it would never be that big as that is a multi city even and in less than 8 months to bring it together its too much to organise and market.  

On 11/17/2017 at 4:38 AM, Parklife said:

I couldn't think of anything more apt than a "World Cup of Losers" for half of our fans, to be honest. 

C’mon Parkie. If you fly over to cheer on Scotland I’ll gie ye a wee treat. I’ll let you shag my Wife. :lol:

Edited by Ormond

5 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

You've got to admit there's loads of folk who stand with their arms folded, creating no atmosphere & applaud the team off at FT even if they've played crap. 

Does that make them losers?

There’s no law that says you need to sing or shout at football games. It obviously helps the atmosphere if you do but everyone is different. 

6 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

A losers World Cup would be an absolute dream for the attention seeking element of our support. the fancy dress levels would go through the roof

Yes, but did you know that you are the official bourbon of the Cubs? ⚾️