world cup of losers - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

world cup of losers

dan cake

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I don’t think it’s a dreadful idea to organise a small tournament in June. Maybe 4-8 teams....

No it’s not but what players are going to give up their summer break to play in a friendly tournament just before, or during, the World Cup? 

We would end up with little more than a meaningless tournament with B teams.

Or am I just being cynical?

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

No it’s not but what players are going to give up their summer break to play in a friendly tournament just before, or during, the World Cup? 

We would end up with little more than a meaningless tournament with B teams.

Or am I just being cynical?

No, agree with that. Would have to be before the World Cup, so they still got a summer break and Fifa wouldn’t want it at same time anyway. Teams would otherwise be playing friendlies in June, although likes of Netherlands and Italy will be in demand I’d have thought for warm up games (England play both already I think?).

Dont know what the proposal is, but I’d say pre World Cup, maybe 2 or 3 small 3-4 team round robin to guarantee everyone 2-3 games and then a semi and final or something like that. Just hosted in 1 city with a couple of stadiums or maybe 2 neighbouring cities...

33 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

No, agree with that. Would have to be before the World Cup, so they still got a summer break and Fifa wouldn’t want it at same time anyway. Teams would otherwise be playing friendlies in June, although likes of Netherlands and Italy will be in demand I’d have thought for warm up games (England play both already I think?).

Dont know what the proposal is, but I’d say pre World Cup, maybe 2 or 3 small 3-4 team round robin to guarantee everyone 2-3 games and then a semi and final or something like that. Just hosted in 1 city with a couple of stadiums or maybe 2 neighbouring cities...

I suppose it would be better than the usual pre World Cup friendlies that we normally need to endure against teams that are warming up for the tournament. 

Can’t see anyone getting excited about it though. 

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Would like to think our fans would boycott this shite if we were invited but absolutely no chance of that.

I couldn't think of anything more apt than a "World Cup of Losers" for half of our fans, to be honest. 

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Why do we never get invited back for the Kirin Cup?

The Kirin Cup (as a Tournament) was scrapped for many years, and has only recently started again in last couple of years (Japan would play single international matches and say it was for the Kirin Cup.... like our 2009 match)