Selling the Hoose - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Selling the Hoose

If you live in a decent area where houses sell quickly, and you know exactly what you want from the sale, then stay away from high street lot as you'll only be paying for their offices and car fleet - stick with a cheaper fixed price operator as they'll batter it on zoopla/rightmove and all the other websites where most people look anyway.

If you do go with a big high street EA then get at least 3 quotes for what their % cut will be on the sale - show them the door if they look for a % plus VAT that would take the total over 2% of the sale  and barter down the remaining ones.

I’d also be mindful that if they take a %age cut, they want to sell your house as quickly as possible, getting you an extra £5k only gets them an extra £50.

We got a decent price for ours, but in hindsight could’ve maybe got slightly more.

Depends what the market is like where you are though...

We met 3, all would’ve ultimately cost much the same just structured differently.

I've been going through the same process, things to look out for.

They want you to pay up front for a marketing pack, find out what's included in that as it can vary wildly from a max 6 photos to as many photographs as you want and a walk through video.

Check if the numbers they are quoting are inclusive of VAT as they mix them up even within the one estate agent quote.

Are viewings included, is it Mon to Fri office time or including weekends. Some ask for extra money for evenings and weekends.

22 hours ago, daviebee said:

As it says on the tin.

Never sold a hoose before.  Been in this one 28 years.

Any good/bad experiences with estate agents, i.e. any I shouldn't touch with a bargepole?  Suppose I'm looking at paying the least amount I can but still getting a good service!

Never understood what service they provided other than taking lots of money to talk shite, stink up yer house with aftershave and stick a sign in your garden..

Bung this lot  https://www.propertyeagle.co.uk/   £400. They'll send someone round to take some pics, put it on Zoopla, Right move etc., they'll take calls from prospective buyers set up viewings, you do the guided tour of the house, done.

Edited by Eisegerwind

If it is a desirable house in a nice area which is going to sell regardless then use one of the fixed price people like purple bricks. I sold for the first time about a year ago. Got three local estate agents round and ended up going with the middle one pricewise as the guy unbeknown to me used to own the flat opposite mine and was the most optimistic price wise. He set up a a staggered % based price based on achieving under,over or well over the offers over price. He ended up getting me 10% more than I was expecting to sell for so I was happy with that. Definitely haggle with them though and don’t be shy about telling them what other companies are offering. 

On 11/16/2017 at 8:08 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Never understood what service they provided other than taking lots of money to talk shite, stink up yer house with aftershave and stick a sign in your garden..

Bung this lot  https://www.propertyeagle.co.uk/   £400. They'll send someone round to take some pics, put it on Zoopla, Right move etc., they'll take calls from prospective buyers set up viewings, you do the guided tour of the house, done.

South Africa the kunts take 5-7% -