Approach for O'Neill made - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Approach for O'Neill made

robbo cop

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

We will never know because he wont be asked because of how much it would cost

He was on approximately $2.4 million a year ( £1,800,000) with the USA

Was just adding to the debate really

Think he lives over in America now anyway so would probably be pointless even considering him. For me Guus Hiddink would be the ideal candidate. Whether he's be interested is another matter.

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

mcleish is seen as the devil for leaving us for club management

and we are approaching Michael O'Neil to try and get us to a first play off since 2003

Fans labelled him a Judas for walking out on us. Now we are welcoming a fellow Judas in with open arms. Seems a heck of a lot like double standards/hypocrisy to me.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Klinsman would be worth approaching in my book - decent win percentage, recent experience, successful and a respected individual.  If we going with a foreigner in MoN who is already under contract with someone else, why not go for someone who is available.  He can jet back and forth from the USA when we don't have a game.  

If it was up to me it would be Hiddink without a doubt,he's produced it virtually in all occasions,the problem being there's no way the sfa will fork out for the guy I believe would do a job.

And that is how we end up back at Michael O,Neill a candidate that they can just about afford and thats what it all comes down to Money!

If he gets the job ill fully support him,however the sfa,s lack of ambition doesn't supprise me,it seems Regan has only him in his sights I don't think he has even considered anybody else,I also think Regan has already decided to leave Hampden_too many stories in the press for it not to be true.If hampden goes I will be absolutely gutted_thats another story.

Back to the manager,Regan is the problem to me,he seems to be making all the decisions,pulling the strings inside Hampden.I would liked to have seen a few more candidates being interviewed.I honestly wish a big name like Hiddink would come forward and say its not about the money its about taking the challenge and taking a team that should be doing better back to major championships.

3 hours ago, BigLewy said:

If it was up to me it would be Hiddink without a doubt,he's produced it virtually in all occasions,the problem being there's no way the sfa will fork out for the guy I believe would do a job.

And that is how we end up back at Michael O,Neill a candidate that they can just about afford and thats what it all comes down to Money!

If he gets the job ill fully support him,however the sfa,s lack of ambition doesn't supprise me,it seems Regan has only him in his sights I don't think he has even considered anybody else,I also think Regan has already decided to leave Hampden_too many stories in the press for it not to be true.If hampden goes I will be absolutely gutted_thats another story.

Back to the manager,Regan is the problem to me,he seems to be making all the decisions,pulling the strings inside Hampden.I would liked to have seen a few more candidates being interviewed.I honestly wish a big name like Hiddink would come forward and say its not about the money its about taking the challenge and taking a team that should be doing better back to major championships.

Spot on.

And it devalues the job the way they have gone about this. Prostituting it in the news is not the way to run a job recruitment process. How do other applicants feel that,the SFA have a favourite? Not too happy I would guess and less enthusiastic about the job before the recruitment process has even begun. One or two may even drop out and if O Neill turns it down you have a weakened set of applicants.

14 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

So what by have Bilic and Klinsmann done to make them worthy? Bilic just got sacked with only a 38% win record. I'd say O'Neill getting N Ireland to the Euros and a whisker away from the World Cup is way better than what Bilic and Klinsmann have achieved.

What had O Neill done worthy to metit the NI job?Managing Brechin City and Shamrock Rovers

4 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

What had O Neill done worthy to metit the NI job?Managing Brechin City and Shamrock Rovers

He won Shamrock Rovers' first league title in about 20 years, then got them to the Europa League group stages. 

Good Achievements which have been followed up by taking NI to the Euros and pretty close to the World Cup. 

His record is that of someone who gets the very most out of the players he has and makes the team better than the sum of their parts. Exactly what we need IMO. 

15 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

When those connected with the job are lame ducks like Fat 'dodgy dealings' Sam, David Moyes, Malky Mackay etc is it any wonder they get slated.

As for options well Slaven Bilic, Lars Laagerback, Egil Olsen, Jurgen Klinsmann, Gus Hiddinck to name but a few depending on availability for starters.

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fans labelled him a Judas for walking out on us. Now we are welcoming a fellow Judas in with open arms. Seems a heck of a lot like double standards/hypocrisy to me.

I don't think you are really all there. You go on about Judas and hypocrisy and we shouldn't be poaching NI's manager and then at the same time are suggesting Lagerback, Norways CURRENT manager, as an option. FFS.

Olsen is 75.

Klinsmann and Hiddink are about as far our of league financially as any managers could be.

Bilic has just had an absolute shambles of a stint at West Ham.

58 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He won Shamrock Rovers' first league title in about 20 years, then got them to the Europa League group stages. 

Good Achievements which have been followed up by taking NI to the Euros and pretty close to the World Cup. 

His record is that of someone who gets the very most out of the players he has and makes the team better than the sum of their parts. Exactly what we need IMO. 

Spot on. Fantastic results for Shamrock Rovers in 2 legs including winning in Belgrade.

Not only did he get NI to the Euro's, he also got them out of the groups and into the knockout rounds. And again got them to the play offs in the WC, far better outcomes in both cases than we had in those campaigns. And arguably with a poorer set of players. Bar the centre backs not many would get in our team.

5 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I don't think you are really all there. You go on about Judas and hypocrisy and we shouldn't be poaching NI's manager and then at the same time are suggesting Lagerback, Norways CURRENT manager, as an option. FFS.

Olsen is 75.

Klinsmann and Hiddink are about as far our of league financially as any managers could be.

Bilic has just had an absolute shambles of a stint at West Ham.

Can you read? I said depending on availability.

8 minutes ago, McFootSoldier said:

Did I dream this last night I am sure I saw something on social media saying he lost his first 18 games in charge.  Canna see it now though ?

It's true. His record still has more losses than wins. Got to see past this though IMO - his NI side look so accomplished it's untrue.

18 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lets remember he had 4 qualifying campaigns and qualified once.

Now you're just spreading misinformation. His record is a lot better than you're making it out to be.

2014 world cup - failed to qualify

2016 Euros - Qualified directly

2016 Euros group stages - qualified for the next round

2018 world cup - qualified for the play offs

4 hours ago, Langtonian said:

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

I can't believe this actually has to be explained to people.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Can you read? I said depending on availability.

In the football world everyone is available to anyone for the right price. Contracts are just a way of determining how much compensation is paid. The Chinese league is a prime example.

1 minute ago, stevenmcn said:

In the football world everyone is available to anyone for the right price. Contracts are just a way of determining how much compensation is paid. The Chinese league is a prime example.

Well we shall see in any case.

Just like to point out that whoever gets in they will get my full support whilst in the job even if they wouldn't have been my choice. The SFA are handling this all in an awful way though. And they do have big form. Did they not even have the common courtesy to inform those unsuccessful candidates last time around they hadn't got the job? I can recall someone revealing they found out they hadn't got the job when Strachan's appointment was announced in the media.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just like to point out that whoever gets in they will get my full support whilst in the job even if they wouldn't have been my choice. The SFA are handling this all in an awful way though. And they do have big form. Did they not even have the common courtesy to inform those unsuccessful candidates last time around they hadn't got the job? I can recall someone revealing they found out they hadn't got the job when Strachan's appointment was announced in the media.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had made an arse of it, but as I said in an earlier post, maybe there's been previous contact with O'Neill and he's pretty much a sure thing, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

29 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they had made an arse of it, but as I said in an earlier post, maybe there's been previous contact with O'Neill and he's pretty much a sure thing, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Wouldn’t that be tapping up? The SFA are a complete Jackie Brambles but would they stoop to such skullduggery? 

Why is the possibly appointment of O'Neil getting linked to Mcleish. I and many fans had no problem with him going into club management, he took us as far as he could if you ask me. Maybe a few on here want to call him names but to liken it to O'Neil is off the mark.

The reason we are going for him now and not waiting till he possibly resigns is that a good few clubs may go after him.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just like to point out that whoever gets in they will get my full support whilst in the job even if they wouldn't have been my choice. The SFA are handling this all in an awful way though.

Yup. Agreed

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Wouldn’t that be tapping up? The SFA are a complete Jackie Brambles but would they stoop to such skullduggery? 

Not if the contact came from O'Neill's side. What I was saying was that maybe, O'Neill was interested in the job and had let it be known to the SFA. Obviously I'm just speculating but you don't know what happens behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

I can't believe this actually has to be explained to people.

You come across as a right condescending character

You questioned someone earlier when they had the audacity to suggest Klinsman.Bayern Munich quarter finals of Champs league if your basing merits of being scotland manager on club football

O Neil win ratio something like 35 %

We,ve just ditched a manager with a much better win ratio