Approach for O'Neill made - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Approach for O'Neill made

robbo cop

3 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Just read in BBC Sport that the SFA have now made an approach for Michael O'Neill, I think he would be good for us, thoughts ????????/

No thanks. Smacks of sheer hypocrisy for fans that want him.

McLeish was pilloried for leaving the Scotland job for league management. He was a judas to the fans and Birmingham City got it tight as well. Now here we are piaching another ciuntry's manager and our fans are up for it. Wrong very wrong.

Yes a whole range of European managers. Lets remember he had 4 qualifying campaigns and qualified once. Also like I said gleefully poaching another country's manager smacks of hypocrisy. Remember how hated McLeish was for turning his back on his country for club management? Well O Neill would be doing it by moving to a neighbouring national team.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes a whole range of European managers. Lets remember he had 4 qualifying campaigns and qualified once. Also like I said gleefully poaching another country's manager smacks of hypocrisy. Remember how hated McLeish was for turning his back on his country for club management? Well O Neill would be doing it by moving to a neighbouring national team.

I hope you are fishing otherwise this is an utterly bizarre statement.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So, who are these managers? You seem quick to slate just about every manager as failed or doesn't have "the stats", so let's hear the names of these guys who match your high standards.

2 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

I hope you are fishing otherwise this is an utterly bizarre statement.

Actually no it isn't bizaare. McLeish is seen in these parts as the devil for leaving the national job for club management yet here fans are gleefully praying they poach O'Neill from Northern Ireland. 

9 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

So, who are these managers? You seem quick to slate just about every manager as failed or doesn't have "the stats", so let's hear the names of these guys who match your high standards.

When those connected with the job are lame ducks like Fat 'dodgy dealings' Sam, David Moyes, Malky Mackay etc is it any wonder they get slated.

As for options well Slaven Bilic, Lars Laagerback, Egil Olsen, Jurgen Klinsmann, Gus Hiddinck to name but a few depending on availability for starters.

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

When those connected with the job are lame ducks like Fat 'dodgy dealings' Sam, David Moyes, Malky Mackay etc is it any wonder they get slated.

As for options well Slaven Bilic, Lars Laagerback, Egil Olsen, Jurgen Klinsmann, Gus Hiddinck to name but a few depending on availability for starters.

So what by have Bilic and Klinsmann done to make them worthy? Bilic just got sacked with only a 38% win record. I'd say O'Neill getting N Ireland to the Euros and a whisker away from the World Cup is way better than what Bilic and Klinsmann have achieved.

34 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

So what by have Bilic and Klinsmann done to make them worthy? Bilic just got sacked with only a 38% win record. I'd say O'Neill getting N Ireland to the Euros and a whisker away from the World Cup is way better than what Bilic and Klinsmann have achieved.

Really - I'm sure they had pretty decent results as international managers ?

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Are you still pining for that wee failure?

I think in time we will be looking back and will be saying what a success he was to where we will be then.

1 hour ago, fringo said:

Really - I'm sure they had pretty decent results as international managers ?

Success with N Ireland outweighs success with USA and Croatia in my book. And besides, I'm not really sure they achieved anything out of the ordinary although I'm happy to be corrected.

Edited by stevenmcn

I’m in two minds. I wouldn’t mind O’Neill getting the job as I think he’d do well for us but I can see @Caledonian Craig‘s point. 

The SFA approaching another football association to try and lure their manager away is a bit crass. 

It seems to be the done thing in club football but you don’t really see it in international football that often. 

They should really have waited until O’Neill had announced he was leaving the NI job but it would likely have been too late then as he’d probably already have a new job to go to. 

14 minutes ago, fringo said:

Fair enough, but then would you not take SAF because his success for 25 years was with a big club like Man Utd ? 

Of course, but I dont really view what they had as success. They, imo, achieved what they should achieve with those countries. What the likes of O'Neill, Lagerback (with Iceland) and the current Iceland manager have done is got teams to punch above their weight, which is really what we need. You could argue that now that Bilic has had to manage with a lower calibre of player at West Ham he's struggled.

25 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Success with N Ireland outweighs success with USA and Croatia in my book. And besides, I'm not really sure they achieved anything out of the ordinary although I'm happy to be corrected.

Everything is relative and it all depends what you term as "success"

O'Neill has been massively helped by an English premiership experienced central defence

Bilic steered Croatia to the top of their Euro 2008 qualifying group beating England home and away

At Euro 2008 they won all 3 of their group games which included beating Germany

Klinsmann's CV with the USA includes wins over Italy, Mexico, Germany (twice) and Holland

Their recent results, added to their general record over the last 10 years, puts these results into perspective

14 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

O'Neill has been massively helped by an English premiership experienced central defence

Bilic steered Croatia to the top of their Euro 2008 qualifying group beating England home and away

Klinsmann's CV with the USA includes wins over Italy, Mexico, Germany (twice) and Holland

Their recent results, added to their general record over the last 10 years, puts these results into perspective

is there even the remotest suggestion that klinsmann would want the job?

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agree 100%, success is relative. Which is why I tend to look at the guys who have punched above their weight and not as much at what they've won, especially when discussing who could be our next manager. Its not like we're going to have the world's elite managers banging down our door. For me, Klinsmann and Bilic haven't punched above their weight. Yes they have had some decent results but mostly in friendlies. For the record I'm not saying I wouldn't take them as next manager if they were appointed, just saying I dont see them as the next big thing.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Actually no it isn't bizaare. McLeish is seen in these parts as the devil for leaving the national job for club management yet here fans are gleefully praying they poach O'Neill from Northern Ireland. 

mcleish is seen as the devil for leaving us for club management

and we are approaching Michael O'Neil to try and get us to a first play off since 2003

7 minutes ago, Bino's said:

is there even the remotest suggestion that klinsmann would want the job?

We will never know because he wont be asked because of how much it would cost

He was on approximately $2.4 million a year ( £1,800,000) with the USA

Was just adding to the debate really