Jump to content
Tartan Army Message Board

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Cannae agree with that.  Italy barely had a decent chance all night, Sweden defended out of their skins.  

I think all these 0-0 draws are showing that at the very top of international football the players are so fit and so well organised that scoring goals is approaching impossible.  I was told this morning that someone had described Denmark attacking Ireland's defence as like trying to open a can with your fist.

It might not be great to watch, but it's effective and you're doing them a disservice to call them "rank rotten".  A "very poor side" doesn't go to the San Siro and get the draw they need against an Italian team that has to win.

Sweden just booted the ball away as soon as it came back at them. Italy were rotten. Two poor sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Against a poor Italy side, Sweden seriously rode their luck and offered next to nothing going forward.  Why Chiellini was left trying to play the defence splitting pass every time was a mystery.  I honestly think Scotland would give either of those two teams a real run for their money - and we're poor.

Ireland will be brutal to watch tonight.

Bang on the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dan cake said:

got a feeling 2nights game isnt going to be a classic

1-0 eire probably via a set piece or 0-0 and pens

I think almost everyone would agree it's going to be very tense and very boring

However ...

This might just unexpectedly go against the grain

Ireland play the same way all the time and rarely change tactics if they go behind

This is one game where they will have to if that happens

Denmark scoring first is a big "if" but if i was their coach thats what i would be focusing on - go out all guns blazing for an early goal

Its not as if Ireland play on the counter attack

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think almost everyone would agree it's going to be very tense and very boring

Denmark scoring first is a big "if" but if i was their coach thats what i would be focusing on - go out all guns blazing for an early goal

Its not as if Ireland play on the counter attack

 

 

How did that work out for you then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow good night Ireland. Just shows what can happen when you've got that one top world class player (like wales have also). Don't feel quite as bad now but by god we're still sh*t if we can't even make it to play offs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaid said:

How did that work out for you then?

Quite good actually but not entirely the way i predicted

Usually i would ge greedy but Denmark -1 at 5/1 will suffice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denmark have not lost a game in a year (if not more?) including a 4-0 win over Poland in the summer. A good outside bet for the next WC? Although I said that about Austria at the Euros :lol:.

Hard lines for the Irish lads on here and a disappointing loss ; but I think the Euros are probably our best bet (the Celtic nations) of making a finals. Even then with Scotland, we fudged that last one up.

Two more WC places left.

Tomorrow - Australia v Honduras - not bothered about either, but get your money on a over 2/3 yellows - Honduras are horribly aggressive.

Peru - NZ - nothing against NZ, and a great place to visit ; but it's been far too long since Peru have qualified. Hope they do it tomorrow.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Denmark have not lost a game in a year (if not more?) including a 4-0 win over Poland in the summer. A good outside bet for the next WC? Although I said that about Austria at the Euros :lol:.

Hard lines for the Irish lads on here and a disappointing loss ; but I think the Euros are probably our best bet (the Celtic nations) of making a finals. Even then with Scotland, we fudged that last one up.

Two more WC places left.

Tomorrow - Australia v Honduras - not bothered about either, but get your money on a over 2/3 yellows - Honduras are horribly aggressive.

Peru - NZ - nothing against NZ, and a great place to visit ; but it's been far too long since Peru have qualified. Hope they do it tomorrow.

 

 

Odds for the cards in the Oz game are dreadful unless you are going for a low amount of cards. No value at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, macy37 said:

Odds for the cards in the Oz game are dreadful unless you are going for a low amount of cards. No value at all.

Never seen the odds, but thought maybe over/under 5 might have been?

Looks like there was 7 cards in the game.

3-1 Australia. Probably the best result as Honduras are honking and would offer nothing. Australia were fairly impressive at the Confederations Cup last year even if they lost their games, they tried to play football and a team full of very average players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched a bit of the game, looks like Emilio Izaguirre is fairly representative of Honduras, pace to burn but little else.

The ref let a bit go, willie collum would've had 10+ cards, Steven McLean one...

:P

Having said that until Australia scored a deflected free kick to make it 1-0 they had every chance, the 2nd and 3rd goals came from Honduras opening up. Unfortunately when they actually tried to play they couldn’t string 3 passes together and constantly gave the ball away.

Have a grudging admiration for Tom Rogic.

Edited by sbcmfc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×