italy - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Yeah interested in this one tonight. Will watch. I was working on Friday night so didn't see the first leg. I'd expect Italy to win but if Sweden score then they could end up drawing on agg and going out on the away goals rule. The slating they would get over there for missing the World Cup would be biblical.

Ibra has already said he wouldn't be coming out of International retirement if Sweden qualify.

Edited by morrie21

I dont think there will be as big a reaction if Italy dont make it as there was in say 2002 when South Korea papped them out of the finals

I think most Azzurri realise their team is littered with old men and it's only a matter of time they go a game too far 

Their 2002 squad for example had Buffon, Cannavaro, Maldini, Materazzi, Nesta, Zanetti, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Totti and Viera

Look at the core of the current squad

Still Buffon, (now 39), Chiellini (33), Astori (30), Barzagli (36), Bonucci (30), De Rossi (34), Candreva (30) Parolo (32)

Sweden also have a good record of scoring away from home

4 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Was delighted for Sweden there until the camera panned their fans......

I’ve seen more joy finding 50p doon the back of the sofa 😏

Can you imagine the carnage if Scotland were in that position?

:lol:

Thinking of the famous video of Scotland fans singing their hearts out when we are losing in the san Siro.

What kind of numbers did they have? Didn’t see the game. Had expected Italy to scrape through.

Italian talent has dwindled over the last 20 years that it was only a matter of time it caught up on them

Since Sweden scored in the first leg on Friday there has been zero goals in any of the playoffs !

Honduras 0-0 Australia

New Zealand 0-0 Peru

Denmark 0-0 Ireland

Switzerland 0-0 N Ireland

Greece 0-0 Croatia

Italy 0-0 Sweden

10 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Italy oot, terrible game to watch and have to listen to andy walker

Thought it was a decent game to watch. Plenty talking points. Bookings galore, plenty penalty shouts and best of all.... Italians oot! :ok:

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Since Sweden scored in the first leg on Friday there has been zero goals in any of the playoffs !

Honduras 0-0 Australia

New Zealand 0-0 Peru

Denmark 0-0 Ireland

Switzerland 0-0 N Ireland

Greece 0-0 Croatia

Italy 0-0 Sweden

Wow! Great stat. A cagey series of play offs indeed.

59 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Looked like no more than 2k in the top tier.

I wanted Italy to go through as my mums side of the family are Italian but they were poor over 2 legs.

Sweden were rank rotten though, very poor side.

Cannae agree with that.  Italy barely had a decent chance all night, Sweden defended out of their skins.  

I think all these 0-0 draws are showing that at the very top of international football the players are so fit and so well organised that scoring goals is approaching impossible.  I was told this morning that someone had described Denmark attacking Ireland's defence as like trying to open a can with your fist.

It might not be great to watch, but it's effective and you're doing them a disservice to call them "rank rotten".  A "very poor side" doesn't go to the San Siro and get the draw they need against an Italian team that has to win.

Against a poor Italy side, Sweden seriously rode their luck and offered next to nothing going forward.  Why Chiellini was left trying to play the defence splitting pass every time was a mystery.  I honestly think Scotland would give either of those two teams a real run for their money - and we're poor.

Ireland will be brutal to watch tonight.