Bill Shankly documentary - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bill Shankly documentary

Shankly is legendary and rightly so but a lot of these programmes omit a lot of titbits that dilute the Liverpool story particularly threatening to resign for years before finally doing it then immediately regretting it  

For all that his attitude and personality won him it also cost him

He was a man of his time that only knew one thing and excelled at it

Enjoyed that, good to see some old faces reappearing in it. I'd heard the Saint was in a bad way a couple of years back, he seems to have fought back ok.

Always wondered if Shankly was ever considered for the Scotland job, you'd think we might've done better in Argentina with him in charge?...

Won't get to see this doc. until someone hoicks it up on YouTube, but I hope his working relationship with Bob Paisley was a focus. I remember at the time of Shankly's resignation folk thinking that Liverpool were screwed without him ... 

Did they mention that that final FA cup run in the '73-'74 season nearly came off the rails in the third round as they scraped a 2:2 home draw against the mighty Rovers? Doncaster's goals by Peter Kitchen and Big Brendan O'Callaghan, Liverpool's were a brace from Keegan - born in bloody Doncaster. To top it all off, they then let fûcking Leeds Utd win the league. Apart from that, he was an all-right manager.

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

Did they mention that that final FA cup run in the '73-'74 season nearly came off the rails in the third round as they scraped a 2:2 home draw against the mighty Rovers? Doncaster's goals by Peter Kitchen and Big Brendan O'Callaghan, Liverpool's were a brace from Keegan - born in bloody Doncaster. To top it all off, they then let fûcking Leeds Utd win the league. Apart from that, he was an all-right manager.

One gripe with the programme was that it didn't focus on the football enough. Time constraints I guess.

Although that European Cup semi in Italy in 1965 looked even more corrupt than Dundee Utd's in 1984!

10 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Won't get to see this doc. until someone hoicks it up on YouTube, but I hope his working relationship with Bob Paisley was a focus. I remember at the time of Shankly's resignation folk thinking that Liverpool were screwed without him ... 

Shankly setting up the boot-room was proven a good decision in this respect.

15 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

First time I've heard you sound bitter Donny :o  

No, yous didn't get a mention.   The brighter the light, the deeper the shadow...  B)

20 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Always wondered if Shankly was ever considered for the Scotland job, you'd think we might've done better in Argentina with him in charge?...

Never considered

Right up until 1967, including Jock Stein's first stint, the squad was selected by committee

Was only after that when Bobby Brown took over that the manager was given complete control

Shankly was in his pomp with Liverpool at that time and it would have been a mutual decision for him not to be considered 

He would never have worked with the SFA and they would have seen him as a nuisance

Come Argentina Shankly had been retired 4 years and his sell by date was past