Tartan Army Message Board
Doric

Michael O Neill

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I remember the sheer angst fans had towards McLeish for daring to leave the Scotland job for league management yet here we have our same fans gleefully wanting to take a manager employed as a national manager elsewhere. Hypocrisy??

Personally I was angry and disappointed with McLeish but could forgive as at least it was in between campaigns rather than Smith who walked out in the middle.

I don't think you can compare McLeish and O'Neil apart from being in between campaigns. O'Neil has done the job a number of years and has possibly taken Northern Ireland as far as they can. With McLeish you felt there was a really good chance of the team improving and qualifying for the next tournament. If McLeish had stayed for one more campaign and succeeded there would be a lot less ill feeling towards him.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well in O'Neill's case that would be the same given that Northern Ireland is his country. If he is so readily about to jump ship from them to us then he is just as likely (or even more likely) to jump ship from us. Anyway it is all totally hypothetical at present. However, like I said on the other thread the SFA are handling this all terribly. Prostituting themselves in the media and publicly touting O'Neill above anyone else for the job. How do you think everyone else who has applied legitimately and by the book for the job in hope of getting it? Pretty shite I would think. And what happens when/if O'Neill chooses Sunderland or Rangers over us? We are left with enough egg on our face to make a large Spanish omelette and perhaps a reduced list of candidates after pissing a few off.

Don't disagree about the SFA - I would spread the net far wider and invite applications rather than jumping at best candidate that looks like he might be available.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

That's martin o'neill is it not? ;)

:lol:

I know "Scotland Ever Mare" has had many names but I didn't realise Martin O'Neil was one of them.

3 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

That's martin o'neill is it not? ;)

I said FAI instead of IFA so he must have thought I was taking about that wee tit Martin O’Neill. 

Personally, I don’t think NI and ROI should be allowed to employ managers with the same surname at the same time again as it only leads to confusion. :lol:

• Haha 1

I had to laugh when I saw a bbc article titled 'O'Neill a good fit for Scotland', which went on to say that Northern Ireland 'narrowly missed out on World Cup qualification after a play-off loss to Switzerland.'

Seems like the perfect candidate to continue our run of almost qualifying!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dogbiscuit said:

I had to laugh when I saw a bbc article titled 'O'Neill a good fit for Scotland', which went on to say that Northern Ireland 'narrowly missed out on World Cup qualification after a play-off loss to Switzerland.'

Seems like the perfect candidate to continue our run of almost qualifying!

To be fair we haven’t almost qualified for a while. We’ve almost got a playoff but we haven’t actually been that close to qualifying for at least a decade. 

Getting a playoff would be an improvement.