Michael O Neill - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michael O Neill

Doric

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I remember the sheer angst fans had towards McLeish for daring to leave the Scotland job for league management yet here we have our same fans gleefully wanting to take a manager employed as a national manager elsewhere. Hypocrisy??

Personally I was angry and disappointed with McLeish but could forgive as at least it was in between campaigns rather than Smith who walked out in the middle.

I don't think you can compare McLeish and O'Neil apart from being in between campaigns. O'Neil has done the job a number of years and has possibly taken Northern Ireland as far as they can. With McLeish you felt there was a really good chance of the team improving and qualifying for the next tournament. If McLeish had stayed for one more campaign and succeeded there would be a lot less ill feeling towards him.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well in O'Neill's case that would be the same given that Northern Ireland is his country. If he is so readily about to jump ship from them to us then he is just as likely (or even more likely) to jump ship from us. Anyway it is all totally hypothetical at present. However, like I said on the other thread the SFA are handling this all terribly. Prostituting themselves in the media and publicly touting O'Neill above anyone else for the job. How do you think everyone else who has applied legitimately and by the book for the job in hope of getting it? Pretty shite I would think. And what happens when/if O'Neill chooses Sunderland or Rangers over us? We are left with enough egg on our face to make a large Spanish omelette and perhaps a reduced list of candidates after pissing a few off.

Don't disagree about the SFA - I would spread the net far wider and invite applications rather than jumping at best candidate that looks like he might be available.

3 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

That's martin o'neill is it not? ;)

I said FAI instead of IFA so he must have thought I was taking about that wee tit Martin O’Neill. 

Personally, I don’t think NI and ROI should be allowed to employ managers with the same surname at the same time again as it only leads to confusion. :lol:

I had to laugh when I saw a bbc article titled 'O'Neill a good fit for Scotland', which went on to say that Northern Ireland 'narrowly missed out on World Cup qualification after a play-off loss to Switzerland.'

Seems like the perfect candidate to continue our run of almost qualifying!

1 hour ago, Dogbiscuit said:

I had to laugh when I saw a bbc article titled 'O'Neill a good fit for Scotland', which went on to say that Northern Ireland 'narrowly missed out on World Cup qualification after a play-off loss to Switzerland.'

Seems like the perfect candidate to continue our run of almost qualifying!

To be fair we haven’t almost qualified for a while. We’ve almost got a playoff but we haven’t actually been that close to qualifying for at least a decade. 

Getting a playoff would be an improvement. 

On 16/11/2017 at 10:15 AM, drew said:

Personally I was angry and disappointed with McLeish but could forgive as at least it was in between campaigns rather than Smith who walked out in the middle.

I don't think you can compare McLeish and O'Neil apart from being in between campaigns. O'Neil has done the job a number of years and has possibly taken Northern Ireland as far as they can. With McLeish you felt there was a really good chance of the team improving and qualifying for the next tournament. If McLeish had stayed for one more campaign and succeeded there would be a lot less ill feeling towards him.

Mclesh never had a game for 10 months when he left.  

I never had a problem with McLeish going, he had every right to. He was a good manager but still never got us to the Euros/world cup so I cannot understand the dislike towards him on here, could be because he was a part of a very good Aberdeen team that more or less ruled the 80s under Fergie, that would be more accurate.

7 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

I never had a problem with McLeish going, he had every right to. He was a good manager but still never got us to the Euros/world cup so I cannot understand the dislike towards him on here, could be because he was a part of a very good Aberdeen team that more or less ruled the 80s under Fergie, that would be more accurate.

Pretty much how I feel. Disappointed with him leaving but not with him per se.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So how do people feel with the news that Michael O'Neill wants to take his time before deciding on his next move?

Is it more a case of nothing coming his way so far that really floats his boat and knowing that a big EPL job may be around the corner if he waits long enough?

His mother just passed away. He probably has other things on his mind right now.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Could be a reason but why wasn't that the answer he gave reporters?

Maybe he thinks it’s nobody else’s business?

Regardless of the reason he’s entitled to weigh up his options and take his time. It’s a big decision for him.

Anyone that thinks he should be desperate to manage Scotland and should have made his decision by now isn’t being very realistic (I’m not suggesting you are doing this but others have).

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So how do people feel with the news that Michael O'Neill wants to take his time before deciding on his next move?

Is it more a case of nothing coming his way so far that really floats his boat and knowing that a big EPL job may be around the corner if he waits long enough?

If you were in the middle of a job hunt and your mum passed away what would your priority be?

I aired my concerns on this a few weeks ago. The SFA have made it public who they want for the job - wrongly in my opinion. They have spoken with O'Neill but no indication yet that he is 100% sold on the job. If he goes elsewhere the SFA are then left with huge egg on their face and then humbly having to interview managers who perhaps applied BEFORE O Neill was announced as the SFA's No 1 choice for the job. How will those managers think? Or will they even want it having known they weren't the first choice for the job?

17 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I aired my concerns on this a few weeks ago. The SFA have made it public who they want for the job - wrongly in my opinion. They have spoken with O'Neill but no indication yet that he is 100% sold on the job. If he goes elsewhere the SFA are then left with huge egg on their face and then humbly having to interview managers who perhaps applied BEFORE O Neill was announced as the SFA's No 1 choice for the job. How will those managers think? Or will they even want it having known they weren't the first choice for the job?

I don't think most football managers or players bother too much about being considered "second best" if the job is attractive to them.  From a very early age as players, they are being judged against their peers and to be successful in that environment they have to have huge self belief.   Unless they are someone like Messi, they will all have had another player chosen ahead of them at points in their career.   

I think they understand the realities of how football works as a business much better than any fan does.

7 hours ago, aaid said:

I don't think most football managers or players bother too much about being considered "second best" if the job is attractive to them.  From a very early age as players, they are being judged against their peers and to be successful in that environment they have to have huge self belief.   Unless they are someone like Messi, they will all have had another player chosen ahead of them at points in their career.   

I think they understand the realities of how football works as a business much better than any fan does.

Perhaps but I still don't think the SFA should have gone public with O Neill being their No 1 choice. What did it acheive? Jack sh1t.

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

How do you know it was the SFA that went public?

Well it broke across various parts of the media announcing Regan had contacted the Northern Irish FA to seek permission to talk to O Neill. I never heard Regan or the SFA moving to try to quash the reports.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well it broke across various parts of the media announcing Regan had contacted the Northern Irish FA to seek permission to talk to O Neill. I never heard Regan or the SFA moving to try to quash the reports.

I'm not saying it isn't true but there are three parties involved here the SFA, the IFA and Michael O'Neill.  That's not to mention others, such as agents, etc., that would be aware of what was going on.

I don't know that it wasn't the SFA that leaked this but by the same token, I don't know that it was them.

Whenever something like this happens, you gave to ask yourself "who benefits from this being in the public domain?"   That's usually either the manager or "selling" club or association, it's rarely the "buying" club or association as they won't want to encourage any competitive offers.

• 3 weeks later...