Michael O Neill - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michael O Neill

Doric

21 minutes ago, JECK said:

4/5 for us. 6/1 he joins Sunderland. 33 for Everton.I'd be amazed if he takes another national gig.

Maybe he likes it? There have been plenty of managers in the past who have preferred international to club football. 

You would think he would fancy a go at a big club right enough but you never know. 

While Im not convinced he'll be up for increased scrutiny and pressure that comes with the Scotland job, especially when he lives here and will no longer be able to enjoy relative anonymity, I don't really see why he'd stay with Northern Ireland. He's done as much as can reasonably be expected with them and owes them absolutely nothing. I mean, what can he achieve that he hasn't already? He's got some big names retiring which makes it an even harder job just to maintain what he's achieved. I think he'll walk away and feel proud of what he's done.

The Scotland is another level up by every measure you care to mention: money, exposure, pressure, scrutiny, relative potential in terms of recent (lack of) success. Those are it's strengths but also it's weaknesses. You can't really blame managers for side-stepping it unless they have a particular appetite for international football. 

He'd be bat$hit crazy to take the Sunderland job, don't know enough about him to know if he'd want the politics of the Rangers job and Everton would require relocation.

I think he'll be tempted by club football but the available jobs aren't exactly stellar - the risk/reward ratio isn't any better compared to the Scotland job if you ask me. I think there's a good chance he'll be interested in being the next Scotland manager.

4 minutes ago, JECK said:

Aye but at his age?  I may be wrong of course but I just can't see a manager of where he's at in his career be happy with 7/8 games a year for another 3/4 years having done just that with NI. 

I don’t know. 

Far less pressure, plenty of free time to play golf or go on holiday or find other ways of spending your half a million quid salary. 

International football is a breeze compared to the cut and thrust of club management where he could face the sack after a run of 5-6 bad results. 

I know what I’d prefer. 

8 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

While Im not convinced he'll be up for increased scrutiny and pressure that comes with the Scotland job, especially when he lives here and will no longer be able to enjoy relative anonymity, I don't really see why he'd stay with Northern Ireland. He's done as much as can reasonably be expected with them and owes them absolutely nothing. I mean, what can he achieve that he hasn't already? He's got some big names retiring which makes it an even harder job just to maintain what he's achieved. I think he'll walk away and feel proud of what he's done.

The Scotland is another level up by every measure you care to mention: money, exposure, pressure, scrutiny, relative potential in terms of recent (lack of) success. Those are it's strengths but also it's weaknesses. You can't really blame managers for side-stepping it unless they have a particular appetite for international football. 

He'd be bat$hit crazy to take the Sunderland job, don't know enough about him to know if he'd want the politics of the Rangers job and Everton would require relocation.

I think he'll be tempted by club football but the available jobs aren't exactly stellar - the risk/reward ratio isn't any better compared to the Scotland job if you ask me. I think there's a good chance he'll be interested in being the next Scotland manager.

He’s allegedly on the same salary that Strachan was on so he’s not guaranteed to get more money with us and I think he has been offered a pay rise to stay with NI.

I did read that the SFA will offer him close to £1 million a year to manage Scotland but I don’t know if that’s true.

Maybe ive been reading up on too many conspiracy theories but i am of the mind that the SFA have absolutely no intention of hiring Michael O'Neill and this is all a big ruse for them to be seen as pushing the boat out when they really arent

Lets look at the evidence

£1 million a year for 4 years ?  Really ? The SFA paying that kind of money ?

A week ago they were pleading poverty regarding the Hampden lease

When have the SFA ever acted as quickly or so much out in the open (particularly about salaries) for a new manager ?

What about the interviews they conducted with previous candidates before deciding ?

I think its all bullshit and it will give whoever they hire a "i wasnt the first choice" mentality

Edited by Ally Bongo

15 minutes ago, macy37 said:

You’ll be praying.

Well why not?

O'Neill had multiple failed attempts to qualify at international level (made it once in four attempts).

I remember the sheer angst fans had towards McLeish for daring to leave the Scotland job for league management yet here we have our same fans gleefully wanting to take a manager employed as a national manager elsewhere. Hypocrisy??

Edited by Caledonian Craig

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Maybe ive been reading up on too many conspiracy theories but i am of the mind that the SFA have absolutely no intention of hiring Michael O'Neill and this is all a big ruse for them to be seen as pushing the boat out when they really arent

When have the SFA ever acted as quickly or so much out in the open (particularly about salaries) for a new manager ?

What about the interviews they conducted with previous candidates before deciding ?

I think its all bullshit and it will give whoever they hire a "i wasnt the first choice" mentality

They approached him probably gives it away ???

12 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

They have asked for permission to speak to him though. 

What if the FAI agree and O’Neill says yes? Are the SFA going to shout ‘ONLY KIDDING’! in O’Neill’s face and run away? 

They have made a rod for their own back by announcing a £1 million salary (if this is true) because anyone that applies for the job will expect that now. 

4 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I cant see him taking the role, but I can see him taking the opportunity to talk. NI is his own country, he would be leaving mid contract to join someone else, thats a bold move. Perhaps the money is better and perhaps he sees our chances as stronget but man in 10 years time how will this potebtial decision affect him when he goes to visit his Ma in Bangor? I do get that its only Sport but surely NI fans must love the guy.

Of course N Ireland is his country, but he's also lived here for plenty of years and must have some sort of affinity for Scotland. For all we know O'Neill or his representative have unoffically spoken to the SFA to let them know he would be interested in the job.

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I thought the other day I read that the SFA were willing to wait until next year to appoint a new manager, even if it meant missing out on suitable candidates now. As the famous one said 'I have a cunning plan....' Either they were bluffing so when everyone looked one way then swoop in or they are trying to drag candidates on the fence out the woodwork by stating their new intentions with O'Neill.

12 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well why not?

O'Neill had multiple failed attempts to qualify at international level (made it once in four attempts).

I remember the sheer angst fans had towards McLeish for daring to leave the Scotland job for league management yet here we have our same fans gleefully wanting to take a manager employed as a national manager elsewhere. Hypocrisy??

Michael O'Neill didn't fail three times though. He was appointed in December 2011 so after the qualification period for euro 2012. The didn't qualify for World Cup 2014 then qualified for euro 2016 (first tournament since 1986, a lot longer than us), then play offs for this World Cup. 

When Alex McLeish left us he had only been in the job for a year (10 matches). I think once you've been in a job for 6 years like O'Neill has, you are entitled to look for another challenge. 

19 minutes ago, Stuart87 said:

When Alex McLeish left us he had only been in the job for a year (10 matches). I think once you've been in a job for 6 years like O'Neill has, you are entitled to look for another challenge. 

However you want to psint it it amounts to the same. McLeish hailed as a judas for leaving Scotland job for CLUB management so O Neill is being just the same but moving to a neighbouring country's job (if he takes it). Difference is O Neill (judas) is being welcomed by some on here with open arms and those same people were more than likely spitting blood at McLeish for doing the same.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

However you want to psint it it amounts to the same. McLeish hailed as a judas for leaving Scotland job for CLUB management so O Neill is being just the same but moving to a neighbouring country's job (if he takes it). Difference is O Neill (judas) is being welcomed by some on here with open arms and those same people were more than likely spitting blood at McLeish for doing the same.

Also, Northern Ireland isn't really a country.

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't think that's a fair comparison. In McLeish's case, our problem was never with Birmingham approaching or appointing him, it was more that he seen that job as a more worthwhile job than the one he was doing for his country. I mean, Birmingham ffs. I've never had a problem with them trying to get him though.

In this case, I think it's perfectly fair for us to approach him but it's Micheal O'Neil's decision to make and justify. And again, it's a different circumstance to McLeish - O'Neil achieved something and he'd be leaving at a juncture that minimises disruption for their national team.

16 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

I don't think that's a fair comparison. In McLeish's case, our problem was never with Birmingham approaching or appointing him, it was more that he seen that job as a more worthwhile job than the one he was doing for his country. I mean, Birmingham ffs. 

Well in O'Neill's case that would be the same given that Northern Ireland is his country. If he is so readily about to jump ship from them to us then he is just as likely (or even more likely) to jump ship from us. Anyway it is all totally hypothetical at present. However, like I said on the other thread the SFA are handling this all terribly. Prostituting themselves in the media and publicly touting O'Neill above anyone else for the job. How do you think everyone else who has applied legitimately and by the book for the job in hope of getting it? Pretty shite I would think. And what happens when/if O'Neill chooses Sunderland or Rangers over us? We are left with enough egg on our face to make a large Spanish omelette and perhaps a reduced list of candidates after pissing a few off.