Michael O Neill - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michael O Neill

Doric

54 minutes ago, MikeyGC said:

BBC's Chris McLaughlin reporting that Michael O'Neill is the man wanted by the Scottish FA. Not surprised at all! 

Wanting is not getting by any means. Why would he leave international football management with the country of his birth who are at a higher standing than us to come to manage us? I see him either staying put or returning to club management.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Wanting is not getting by any means. Why would he leave international football management with the country of his birth who are at a higher standing than us to come to manage us? I see him either staying put or returning to club management.

That's what I've been saying. It would be very strange to me if he did.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Higher standing because of their aged defensive talent

Unlikely he (or anyone else for that matter) can take NI further as their careers/abilities wain

1 hour ago, MikeyGC said:

BBC's Chris McLaughlin reporting that Michael O'Neill is the man wanted by the Scottish FA. Not surprised at all! 

I'm reporting that DoonTheSlope would like to entertain Kirsty Gallacher for the evening

I just hope she remembers to bring money for a taxi back up the road next again morning 

The more I think about the more I think he would want a club job next. What manager worth his salt, and relatively young mangager that he is would be happy playing 7/8 games a year for another 3/4 odd years?Doesn't add up. Club management is surely where he'll go next.

36 minutes ago, JECK said:

Martin "you'd need your head examined 10 (or 20 times) to think about taking the Scotland job" O'Neil? Oh dear. Glad Eriksons going to be at the World Cup and none of that mob.

I can remember Martin O'Neill being a pundit at one of the last tournaments we were at, probably France but not sure. He openly said he hoped that we went out saying we were boring and added nothing to the tournament (or certainly words to that effect). I wonder how he would describe teams under his management these days.

21 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

I can remember Martin O'Neill being a pundit at one of the last tournaments we were at, probably France but not sure. He openly said he hoped that we went out saying we were boring and added nothing to the tournament (or certainly words to that effect). I wonder how he would describe teams under his management these days.

Yeah I remember that. He said we were the worst team at the tournament. 

Cheeky bastard. We were at least joint worst with Norway. 

:lol:

29 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

I think that was the first time he appeared as a studio guest/pundit.

He was quite entertaining though at the time .

But it's true, his current team are pretty painful to watch .

On 11/13/2017 at 12:51 PM, PASTA Mick said:

They certainly benefited from an easier group for Euro 2016 with top seed Greece finishing bottom of the group. Having said that, the only game they lost was away in Romania. They did beat Ukraine at the finals.

I also agree that their last group was easier than ours. 

In the 2014 campaign they only won 1 match of 10, in what was also a fairly favourable draw (they got Portugal, Israel and Russia, we got Croatia, Belgium, Serbia and Wales). 

I think he would be a decent appointment but I wouldn't get as excited as some others seem to be. 

His last two finishes in group qualfying have been 1st and 2nd.

Reminder 2nd place will be good enough for euro 2020. No play offs.

Really don't see the argument, if he wants the job give it to him.

Let's remember Scotland finished this group with four clean sheets out of six, Berra and Mulgrew did the best they could with the ability they have. Would probably help next campaign if the chosen keeper actually decides to come from a cross or two, that might stop a few more goals.

I'd take him.

It could well be a good choice by him  with likely retirements from NI and a smaller pool to work with, and we could possibly qualify  - no doubt that'll bite me back on the arse  when the inevitable happens and we don't make it to Euro 2020 -  Journos are mentioning that he fancies club football, but with the 24 team Euros he could well sign a 4 year contract with the SFA, do 2 years and get us to the Euros where we do OK, his CV would then look very good - Euros, playoffs, Euros ; and a EPL or further abroad club side would come in for him.

7 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

His last two finishes in group qualfying have been 1st and 2nd.

Reminder 2nd place will be good enough for euro 2020. No play offs.

Really don't see the argument, if he wants the job give it to him.

Let's remember Scotland finished this group with four clean sheets out of six, Berra and Mulgrew did the best they could with the ability they have. Would probably help next campaign if the chosen keeper actually decides to come from a cross or two, that might stop a few more goals.

I think the point that I'm making is that is wasn't instant success with NI. They gave him time and were patient through some very poor runs before he got it right. When he did eventually get it right he was massively helped with two favourable groups. As I said, for Euro 2016 the top seed Greece finished bottom. Imagine we had that kind of luck! 

I think he would be an upgrade on Strachan but I still think there might be better options out there. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

I cant see him taking the role, but I can see him taking the opportunity to talk. NI is his own country, he would be leaving mid contract to join someone else, thats a bold move. Perhaps the money is better and perhaps he sees our chances as stronget but man in 10 years time how will this potebtial decision affect him when he goes to visit his Ma in Bangor? I do get that its only Sport but surely NI fans must love the guy.