Michael O Neill - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michael O Neill

Doric

Would be a fantastic appointment, especially after watching some of the younger players coming through in last week or so. Being Scotland-based as well surely makes his life a lot easier.

I'd offer him 4 years right now and opportunity to get to work right away. If he's undecided about club football, there's probably no other international job where risk/reward chances are so favourable for a manager - stock is unlikely to be overly affected by failure to qualify, but be the first manager to take Scotland to a major championship in 20+ years... would bring massive international recognition.

17 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Would be a fantastic appointment, especially after watching some of the younger players coming through in last week or so. Being Scotland-based as well surely makes his life a lot easier.

I'd offer him 4 years right now and opportunity to get to work right away. If he's undecided about club football, there's probably no other international job where risk/reward chances are so favourable for a manager - stock is unlikely to be overly affected by failure to qualify, but be the first manager to take Scotland to a major championship in 20+ years... would bring massive international recognition.

From his personal point of view, it makes sense. It is the least disruptive appointment to his life he could find. 

If you look at the players NI put out in their starting 11, you wonder what he could do with our much larger and more talented group. Other than Johnny Evans, who would actually make our first 11? And he took them to the Euros and a play off. He could potentially work wonders for us.

Still have doubts about O'Neil. I mean would NI qualified from our euro 2016 group with ROI, Poland and Germany? I honestly think Slovakia and Slovenia were a much stiffer test than Norway and the Czechs.He's got 2 better centre halves at NI as well that he wouldn't have with us.

7 minutes ago, JECK said:

Still have doubts about O'Neil. I mean would NI qualified from our euro 2016 group with ROI, Poland and Germany? I honestly think Slovakia and Slovenia were a much stiffer test than Norway and the Czechs.He's got 2 better centre halves at NI as well that he wouldn't have with us.

He strikes me as someone who would get the respect of the players which the likes of Vogts and Burley did not. After that it's really just a case of picking the right team, which was Strachan's biggest failing.  We won't know that until he (or anybody else) gets a crack at the job, although it seems to have worked well for him with NI.

1 minute ago, JECK said:

They certainly benefited from an easier group for Euro 2016 with top seed Greece finishing bottom of the group. Having said that, the only game they lost was away in Romania. They did beat Ukraine at the finals.

I also agree that their last group was easier than ours. 

In the 2014 campaign they only won 1 match of 10, in what was also a fairly favourable draw (they got Portugal, Israel and Russia, we got Croatia, Belgium, Serbia and Wales). 

I think he would be a decent appointment but I wouldn't get as excited as some others seem to be. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

They certainly benefited from an easier group for Euro 2016 with top seed Greece finishing bottom of the group. Having said that, the only game they lost was away in Romania. They did beat Ukraine at the finals.

I also agree that their last group was easier than ours. 

In the 2014 campaign they only won 1 match of 10, in what was also a fairly favourable draw (they got Portugal, Israel and Russia, we got Croatia, Belgium, Serbia and Wales). 

I think he would be a decent appointment but I wouldn't get as excited as some others seem to be. 

Fair points. I think excitement around him is more that he's not one of the usual suspects. We're on the threshold of having a whole new generation of players breaking through and it seems a good time to take a punt a fresh face (in Scottish fitba terms at least).

The question around Northern Ireland's poorer finishes really need to be taken in a context of whether they were because or despite of O'Neill. That he even got them to a major championship once (and almost did again) suggests he's good enough for us regardless of the draw.

The suggestion of drink driving is concerning though. I expect he'll be under a whole new level of scrutiny in Scotland and I've no time for a manager with skeletons in the closet or someone who'll find himself on the front pages and out of the job in a years time.

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Fair points. I think excitement around him is more that he's not one of the usual suspects. We're on the threshold of having a whole new generation of players breaking through and it seems a good time to take a punt a fresh face (in Scottish fitba terms at least).

The question around Northern Ireland's poorer finishes really need to be taken in a context of whether they were because or despite of O'Neill. That he even got them to a major championship once (and almost did again) suggests he's good enough for us regardless of the draw.

The suggestion of drink driving is concerning though. I expect he'll be under a whole new level of scrutiny in Scotland and I've no time for a manager with skeletons in the closet or someone who'll find himself on the front pages and out of the job in a years time.

There is no "suggestion" about it.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

yep, no need in this day and age especially when hes no short of dosh

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They should have set an example and jailed the bastard

3 hours ago, Kirk said:

yes aswell as a drive with it

He claims he didn’t get the Hibs job a few years back because of rumours he was an alcoholic. 

They are just rumours of course but the drink driving conviction doesn’t look very good. 

He has done well with NI but if he does have a drink problem it will potentially come back to bite us in the arse if we appoint him. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He claims he didn’t get the Hibs job a few years back because of rumours he was an alcoholic. 

They are just rumours of course but the drink driving conviction doesn’t look very good. 

He has done well with NI but if he does have a drink problem it will potentially come back to bite us in the arse if we appoint him. 

Barry Ferguson and Alan McGregor as back up team. Would make the away double headers interesting. Is Andy Goram available?

43 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

he claimed someone close to Pat Fenlon told hibs he had a drink problem

it was neck and neck between himself and Fenlon for the job

unfortunately hibs went for Fenlon which was a horrendous mistake as the guy is a fecking clown

35 minutes ago, dan cake said:

he claimed someone close to Pat Fenlon told hibs he had a drink problem

it was neck and neck between himself and Fenlon for the job

unfortunately hibs went for Fenlon which was a horrendous mistake as the guy is a fecking clown

Could be sour grapes or paranoia on O’Neill’s part I suppose but who knows?

Mind you I’d probably rather have a steaming O’Neill in charge ahead of some of the clowns linked with the job. 

If you are interested in what he has to say about his approach to football his interview with Graham Hunter is very interesting. He talks very well about the game and his approach to it. All basic stuff but after Strachan and his meanness of spirit, its completely refreshing.

Due to my technical inability I can't post the link on here but google graham hunter big interview michael o'nell and it will come up

11 minutes ago, joecraigfanclub said:

If you are interested in what he has to say about his approach to football his interview with Graham Hunter is very interesting. He talks very well about the game and his approach to it. All basic stuff but after Strachan and his meanness of spirit, its completely refreshing.

Due to my technical inability I can't post the link on here but google graham hunter big interview michael o'nell and it will come up

I haven't listened to it yet but will do.

Some great podcasts with Graham Hunter worth a play

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They are good for a long journey but his attempts at arse licking are pathetic 

I enjoy listening to these interviews despite Hunter's sychophancy.

It takes a lot of getting used to, but he must be the the biggest sycophant in Sycophantland.

17 minutes ago, Flure said:

I enjoy listening to these interviews despite Hunter's sychophancy.

It takes a lot of getting used to, but he must be the the biggest sycophant in Sycophantland.

It is so cringey. Gives Jonathan Ross a run for his money in the arse licking department 

Yup. That’s the very reason i stopped listening to his podcasts. His arse licking of David Moyes and his attempts to paint Moyes’ time at Man Utd as something other than a colossal failure was the final straw for me.